Removal of MD

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Mines Malingerer

Post Friday, 17th February 2012, 02:38

Removal of MD

While i've read your reasons for the removal of this race, id really like to say, game play wise, sure they were pretty samey with a couple other races. but from a personal perspective, no matter how you dress them up a hill orc or a minotar, or even a deep dwarf as they are typically evil in my head (D&D corupts me so) they will NEVER be the same as my loved mountain dwarves, they may play the same but they dont pull me in the same. i liked being able to play as my favorite prototypical fantasy race, and i wanted to ascend my first time with one while playing the latest version. i came to this game last year saying i wanted to beat t game first as a melee then as an archer then a mage and i wanted that dwarf to be my champion (no matter how many of them i killed).

From the programing side i get it, you like to distinguish your choices from one another, but from the RP side it make me a sad sad panda.

Also please dont tell me to just play 0.9, thats not the answer i want, i know i can do that.

Eringya's Employee

Post Friday, 17th February 2012, 04:22

Re: Removal of MD

I'm sure there's been way too much talk on this subject especially some months ago... The devs have made up their minds and there's no point crying over spilt milk.

I did like having the option to play a dwarf without the exotic properties that Deep Dwarves bring to the table (and which, frankly, have pretty crappy apts for melee pretty much in contrast to MDs) and even though MDs were quite similar to HOs and Mis I would like them to still be present beyond 0.9. But that's me, I like having a lot of playable race choices in rpgs no matter how little their differences might be.

I'll respect the devs' opinion though. And of course, I'm sure if one dabbles with the code a bit, he could re-enable the race for their own personal experience and share with their fellow MD lovers :P . I wouldn't know how to do that, though.

On the other hand, there's been talk of the Forge Dwarves race that someone's been making and I hope they're nice when they come (and plz give them M&F +4 :lol:). Of course we have Golems to be looking forward to, before Forge Dwarves, I suppose.
MuCK;
  Code:
612 | D:1      | Xom revived you
614 | D:1      | Xom revived you
614 | D:1      | Slain by a gnoll

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Friday, 17th February 2012, 12:03

inb4lock

and yeah telling you to just play 0.9 would be lame - if you have a dwarf fetish, 0.5 is the way to go
Your warning level: [CLASSIFIED]

Abyss Ambulator

Post Friday, 17th February 2012, 17:31

I don't remember this having been brought up before in any of the previous discussions on this subject: but one way in which MD were unique was in being very bad at Spellcasting but actually pretty good in (some) magical skills - kind of like the opposite of an ogre.

There isn't really a species like this any more, though whether this is a niche that is worth filling is another matter.

Eringya's Employee

Post Friday, 17th February 2012, 19:41

Jeremiah wrote:I don't remember this having been brought up before in any of the previous discussions on this subject: but one way in which MD were unique was in being very bad at Spellcasting but actually pretty good in (some) magical skills - kind of like the opposite of an ogre.

There isn't really a species like this any more, though whether this is a niche that is worth filling is another matter.

Actually the Hill Orcs have almost done this with their crappy SPC and +1 at Fire, 0 at Earth and rest magic schools pretty much bordering on crap. Deep Dwarves have +3 to Earth but -1 to SPC. There' many reverse ogres (well not exactly, but you get the point...).
MuCK;
  Code:
612 | D:1      | Xom revived you
614 | D:1      | Xom revived you
614 | D:1      | Slain by a gnoll

Mines Malingerer

Post Friday, 17th February 2012, 20:29

TehDruid wrote:I'll respect the devs' opinion though. And of course, I'm sure if one dabbles with the code a bit, he could re-enable the race for their own personal experience and share with their fellow MD lovers :P . I wouldn't know how to do that, though.

If someone can tell me how to do this ill be more than happy

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 17th February 2012, 21:13

ApsychicRat wrote:
TehDruid wrote:I'll respect the devs' opinion though. And of course, I'm sure if one dabbles with the code a bit, he could re-enable the race for their own personal experience and share with their fellow MD lovers :P . I wouldn't know how to do that, though.

If someone can tell me how to do this ill be more than happy

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=3064

Return to Game Design Discussion