Polarms having reach observation

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Mines Malingerer

Post Friday, 17th February 2012, 21:05

Polarms having reach observation

Ive noticed in .10 that with all poll arms having reach it make it really easy to escape enemies wielding said weapons, as they are not trying to get next to you they dont follow you up stairs and such. was this thought of when giving them this effect?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 17th February 2012, 23:47

Re: Polarms having reach observation

I can't speak for them, but it's harder to approach gnoll teams.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 18th February 2012, 18:37

The gnolls don't need to follow you on the stairs if there are four of them with the reach to smack you with their halberds if you try. If you try escaping by stairs, you'll just die. There is the corner case where it's easier to escape a lone polearm-wielder, but that's more than compensated for by the fact that polearm-wielder packs are now pincushions of death if you can't somehow break them up.

Dungeon Master

Post Saturday, 18th February 2012, 22:40

ApsychicRat wrote:Ive noticed in .10 that with all poll arms having reach it make it really easy to escape enemies wielding said weapons, as they are not trying to get next to you they dont follow you up stairs and such. was this thought of when giving them this effect?

This isn't a problem. Just a normal part of reaching attacks.

Eringya's Employee

Post Saturday, 18th February 2012, 22:45

The let's say "problem" doesn't lie within the fact that polearms now have reaching but that monsters don't follow you across levels. I don't think the latter can be medicated though, as that would make a lot of situations non survivable (especially in the early game, but also Vaults:8, Tomb, etc.
MuCK;
  Code:
612 | D:1      | Xom revived you
614 | D:1      | Xom revived you
614 | D:1      | Slain by a gnoll

Swamp Slogger

Post Sunday, 19th February 2012, 09:43

It's a tradeoff. Upside, they don't stand next to you and chase you up the stairs. Downside, they stand behind ogres and poke you in the eye in hallways.

Mines Malingerer

Post Monday, 20th February 2012, 01:28

Eji1700 wrote:It's a tradeoff. Upside, they don't stand next to you and chase you up the stairs. Downside, they stand behind ogres and poke you in the eye in hallways.

made me laugh, and i see what people are saying, i always do my best to fight in hallways so i havnt noticed to much trouble from the increase to damage but perhaps that's just me.

Return to Game Design Discussion