Feedback on Trunk deployment (.11)

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 6th June 2012, 06:36

Re: Feedback on Trunk deployment (.11)

XuaXua wrote:
Grimm wrote:I was under the false impression that that was not the case. So why the change in tiles?

As I noted, I think it's unintentional, but not widely noticed because it's occasional and I believe many primary developers don't play Tiles mode.

Post bug reports on mantis, not in this thread. If you are unsure if something is a bug, post a bug report anyway. If there is already a bug report with the issue you are describing, leave a comment on it like "I am also getting this bug". Since this is a tiles bug, consider uploading a screenshot too.

Grimm wrote:Did unseen horrors get immunity to wands of polymorph? I just zapped one a half dozen times and "Nothing seems to happen."

No.

For this message the author evilmike has received thanks:
Grimm

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 8th June 2012, 05:56

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 8th June 2012, 06:10

Grimm wrote:Image

If you have nausea, you can still eat for half nutrition (I think) at near starving or worse.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 8th June 2012, 06:21

Nausea used to end at Starving, I thought.

Vestibule Violator

Post Friday, 8th June 2012, 07:31

I'm 90% sure I had starving + nausea in 0.10 yesterday.
Won all race/bg, unwon (online): Nem* Hep Uka
Favourites: 15-rune Trog, OgNe/OgIE/OgSu (usually Ash), Ds, Ru, SpEn, Ce of Chei, Qaz

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 8th June 2012, 08:43

Grimm wrote:Nausea used to end at Starving, I thought.

I don't remember it ever did that. However, as nicolae said, you can eat for half nutrition when nauseated and starving or near starving.
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 8th June 2012, 11:58

But you get sick when you eat while nauseated.

Blades Runner

Post Friday, 8th June 2012, 12:26

Some feedback on the Okawaru changes:

Its pretty tough right now. Definitely a little nerf, although it may be fine. Oka was a little strong. I ended getting ***** in Lair:2 or 3, so it didn't hold me back in the beginning too bad. Heroism wasn't available as early as it used to be though. Orc, however, was a pain in the ass, getting me down to ** piety. Its the first time I had to ration Heroism, and in Orc of all places, since all the orcs barely gave any piety. I managed to jump back up to ***** pretty soon after Orc though, so thats fine.

Also, does "blue = curse or ego" apply to store items? If so, maybe prices need to be adjusted considering there is less of a chance of throwing out 500g on a useless +1 item.

Lastly, the new tiles are gorgeous.
Last edited by Deimos on Friday, 8th June 2012, 12:46, edited 1 time in total.

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 8th June 2012, 12:27

jejorda2 wrote:But you get sick when you eat while nauseated.

More precisely, you have a chance to get sick when eating contaminated chunks while nauseated. Anyway, are you trying to make a point? Nausea isn't even a 0.11 addition so there's no reason to spam this thread saying nothing about it.
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

Halls Hopper

Post Sunday, 10th June 2012, 11:14

Okawaru changes seem like a pretty big nerf. Spammable Hero is probably the only thing that made it even comparable to Trog in the early / mid game and made him so good for UC. So, it's probably more of a no-brainer to go Trog now if you don't plan to cast.

Spider is still pretty annoying. It's like a worse Swamp. Looking forward to Hellspider and more variety. Hope it's going to be guaranteed, because after clearing Swamp numerous times I haven't met Lernaean hydra once outside of wizard mode...

Detect curse scrolls are gone. I don't remember ever using them other then read-id-ing in the early game, so I like this change. The same with amulet of controlled flight.

"Blue = ego or curse" is nice as well.

Tiles are getting prettier and prettier.

I think, I'll stick to 0.10 for the time being.
Last edited by kefir645 on Sunday, 10th June 2012, 17:33, edited 3 times in total.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 10th June 2012, 17:29

evilmike wrote:Post bug reports on mantis, not in this thread. If you are unsure if something is a bug, post a bug report anyway.

Tell that to galehar (example). :)
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 11th June 2012, 00:51

XuaXua wrote:
evilmike wrote:Post bug reports on mantis, not in this thread. If you are unsure if something is a bug, post a bug report anyway.

Tell that to galehar (example). :)

Yes, that was a lapse of judgment on my part. I said that because I want people to post bug reports. I should have been more careful who I was saying it to.

For this message the author evilmike has received thanks: 2
Blade, XuaXua

Temple Termagant

Post Monday, 11th June 2012, 23:59

Hi! Been playing the most recent tiles build version for a few days and i really like it! Just some small things though: would it be possible to lower the number of webs in spider a little? I know it's part of the gimmick for that place but there's soooooooo many, i'd go as far as saying there are too many.

Also, has summon earth elemental been changed? It used to only require 5 earth to reliably summon and it's still what the bots are saying but im summoning an awful lot of hostile earth elementals this game, i suspect there's a change there.

edit: thanks for the quick answer blacksheep, much appreciated!
Last edited by qululu123 on Tuesday, 12th June 2012, 00:25, edited 1 time in total.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 12th June 2012, 00:21

Yes, earth elementals were increased to 10, and water elementals decreased to 10.

Blades Runner

Post Thursday, 14th June 2012, 05:57

Feedback on Spider: its fucking hard. Too much web spam too, although I think I'm only complaining because Spider:5 has been the only lair branch that has splatted me with regularity in a long time.

Slime Squisher

Post Thursday, 14th June 2012, 15:34

Spider is annoying enough that I hold off until I need a 3rd rune and after elf and d27, so I can just steamroll it.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 17th June 2012, 06:27

I don't like the new bread tile. It looks like Wonder Bread. The old tile looked like medieval bread.

Blades Runner

Post Sunday, 17th June 2012, 07:14

My problem with the new bread tile is that only the bright slice at the end shows up well; its dark and brown color hardly contrasts with the all-too-common dungeon floor tile.

Shoals Surfer

Post Monday, 18th June 2012, 12:05

For what its worth, Spider is super duper hard and annoying
(p.s. this is stupid some dev please make it not stupid) - minmay

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 18th June 2012, 20:32

sardonica wrote:For what its worth, Spider is super duper hard and annoying

This comment (and the few similar ones above) isn't worth anything. Back it up with some arguments if you want it to be considered.

Deimos wrote:Too much web spam too

A bug was fixed, and the formula adjusted.

Tomb Titivator

Post Tuesday, 19th June 2012, 08:00

I know it's not very constructive but I personally really like spider. It's very hard but... I think the game should be hard! Meph cloud makes it a lot easier but then again meph cloud makes everything easier. I don't like how monsters pick up jewelry but it's not THAT big of a deal and having elf 4 floors deep feels right.

Shoals Surfer

Post Tuesday, 19th June 2012, 10:52

galehar wrote:

This comment (and the few similar ones above) isn't worth anything. Back it up with some arguments if you want it to be considered.

Hard means "difficult"

"Difficult" means "it's really easy to go 'splat'"

Reasons for this include "monsters that are really hard to kill" and "fucking webs"

Next time, I'll run my comments by you first so you can see if they're worthwhile.
(p.s. this is stupid some dev please make it not stupid) - minmay

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 19th June 2012, 12:30

sardonica wrote:
galehar wrote:

Hard means "difficult"

Reasons for this include "monsters that are really hard to kill" and "fucking webs"

Next time, I'll run my comments by you first so you can see if they're worthwhile.

You didn't qualify why it's "super-duper hard and annoying". And someone who is a person who can fix the "super-duper hard and annoying" parts wanted you to clarify it because you were way too general in your assessment.

What is "super-duper hard and annoying" to you might be "simple and ignorable" to others who either have methods to bypass those sections or find those parts appropriately difficult and enjoyable. They need someone like you to be specific so they can see what they're missing or help you through your concerns.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa

Barkeep

Post Tuesday, 19th June 2012, 13:00

sardonica wrote:Hard means "difficult"

Is it all the monsters, or just some? Are you going in as a MiBe, a DECj, or a SpVM? Is it harder for your characters than Swamp, or Snake, or Elf, or Zot?

Sorry dude, but if you want people to take action based on your comments, they need to be more specific.
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

Blades Runner

Post Tuesday, 19th June 2012, 18:30

Spider is difficult because of many reasons. This is coming from someone who frequents it in mostly Minotaurs with the appropriate hacky killy melee playstyle:

1. There are multitudes more creatures in Spider then any other branch. This makes it very easy to get surrounded.
2. It's a death sentence without rPois, Cure Poison, or silly amounts of Curing pots unless you go in extremely overleveled.
3. Moths of Wrath and Ghost Moths are scary, especially when the former is blocked by crowds of spiders.
4. Orb Spiders are very common and deal a great deal of damage.
5. Lots of webs.
6. No hallways to funnel spiders into for safety; chances are you will always will be having multiple on you at once.
7. Almost everything can outrun you.

Spider is currently the hardest of the lair branches (bar Slime), at least for the chars I run. I can't say whether this is bad or fine.

I think the "annoying" part of Spider that sardonica is alluding to are the hundreds of extremely quick and high-hp monsters you are having to deal with per floor. Everything that feels like running from you will probably get away, but this is something you become accustomed to as a melee char. Doesn't make a branch full of hundreds of them any less annoying though.

dd

Shoals Surfer

Post Tuesday, 19th June 2012, 19:46

Grimm wrote:I don't like the new bread tile. It looks like Wonder Bread. The old tile looked like medieval bread.
Deimos wrote:My problem with the new bread tile is that only the bright slice at the end shows up well; its dark and brown color hardly contrasts with the all-too-common dungeon floor tile.

I tried to improve it a bit...
Attachments
bread.png
bread.png (1.34 KiB) Viewed 9502 times

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 19th June 2012, 19:56

I preferred that puffed/muffin-like shape to the bread, there's nothing anachronistic about it. Bread puffs up over the edge if you bake it in a pan, and I think it gives the tile a distinct shape. It did need to be lightened, though.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 19th June 2012, 20:00

roctavian wrote:I preferred that puffed/muffin-like shape to the bread, there's nothing anachronistic about it. Bread puffs up over the edge if you bake it in a pan

They didn't use to bake bread in pans. It is anachronistic (given my assumption about when Crawl is taking place).

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 19th June 2012, 20:25

This is typically where the pizza argument comes up, but knowing how many people hate the presence of pizza in the game, I don't think it's useful. Oh well.

dd

Shoals Surfer

Post Tuesday, 19th June 2012, 21:20

I think the anachronistic argument isn't very useful either though... Crawl obviously isn't taking place in our world, since our world never had magic, orcs, or sentient cats. It takes place in a fantasy world so who's to say food technology didn't develop differently in it... maybe the dwarves invented pizza back in caveman times.

I think it's much more useful to look at it from the perspective of invoking a certain mood/atmosphere... to me pizza isn't that big of a deal as it's much more rare than bread rations, it's almost like an easter egg or a joke, like "hey look at this there's a pizza in this dungeon, ha ha"... whereas bread rations are ubiquitous in every game, so their appearance should more closely reflect the intended mood of the game.

Temple Termagant

Post Wednesday, 20th June 2012, 21:06

This was with a version downloaded about 2 weeks ago, but in that version mystic blast got a longer range for less damage. I really like this since it seems to have kept it's accuracy however... it now has a chance to explode. I found that to be problematic both for the damage to myself and the damage to my allies. Overall, from my limited time with it, i would love it if it lost the explosion, but as it is i probably wouldnt use it unless i cant find any competitive spell. In fact, both characters i have played to max level with that version of trunk used it since the new range makes it so useful, but had to forget it rather quickly since the explosion was more trouble than it was worth.

edit: i guess more explanations would be a good idea so basically, i found the problem to be the unpredictability of the explosion and the fact that i generally would have preferred the explosion to happen at max range rather than short range. But really, the unpredictable part made it unlikely for me to use it again since there's so many cases i would want to use my level 4 spell but would rather not risk the explosion.

edit2: the new drawings, they are so pretty!! slows me down a bunch since i cant tell yet from the drawings which equip is enchanted or not but soooo pretty!!

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 20th June 2012, 21:30

The imb explosion will never hurt you. I don't know if it will hurt allies.

Temple Termagant

Post Wednesday, 20th June 2012, 21:41

Hummm, call me dumb then, i was pretty sure it had hurt me and my dudes, but i may well be mistaken. Guess i need to pay more attention!

On another matter, would it be possible to slightly lower the noise from lightning bolt and slightly increase the damage on magma bolt? They are both quite ok but level 5 fireball really overshadows them, and i think just a small adjustment on numbers would bring them up to par. Also, level 6 poison cloud feels really weak compared to level 6 ice cloud but i have no suggestion here since level 5 poison cloud was just so overpowered.

Temple Termagant

Post Saturday, 23rd June 2012, 00:52

So i did verify and i was partly right, mystic blast explosion does hurt allies. I didnt check if it bothers gods who dont like that since i wasnt with the right one though.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 23rd June 2012, 15:55

One of the latest trunks blows away configuration files, including the one for tiles dialog.
All parameters were commented out, but were listed so they could be available to be set if needed.

I used to set the width and height of the floating window. Now I no longer have this file.

What is the replacement, or was this an oversight when blowing away the file?

Dungeon Master

Post Saturday, 23rd June 2012, 17:57

there is a tiles section in init.txt now

For this message the author galehar has received thanks:
XuaXua

dd

Shoals Surfer

Post Saturday, 23rd June 2012, 19:05

I just had a crash when I was fighting a phantom.

Unfortunately I didn't run crawl from terminal so I didn't see any error messages or anything... is there a dump file or something that I could upload?

Vestibule Violator

Post Saturday, 23rd June 2012, 20:31

There should be a crash report in your morgue folder.

dd

Shoals Surfer

Post Saturday, 23rd June 2012, 22:01

Yes, I just found them - had another crash and this time ran in terminal.

Should I post the crash dumps here or on mantis? Or both? I've attached them in this post but I can also post them on mantis if needed. I'm not sure what the convention is here...
Attachments
crash-Dei-20120624-005630.txt
(42.93 KiB) Downloaded 6 times
crash-Dei-20120623-220146.txt
(41.37 KiB) Downloaded 2 times

Dungeon Master

Post Saturday, 23rd June 2012, 22:17

Bug and crash reports got to mantis, but in this case, it's not necessary. This bug has already been fixed, just updated your version.

dd

Shoals Surfer

Post Saturday, 23rd June 2012, 23:30

Ok, good to know.

dd

Shoals Surfer

Post Sunday, 24th June 2012, 16:42

Some floor tiles seem to be randomly changing to wrong tiles... I've seen it happen a couple of times now.
Attachments
weirdtiles.png
weirdtiles.png (454.57 KiB) Viewed 9195 times

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Sunday, 24th June 2012, 17:22

dd wrote:Some floor tiles seem to be randomly changing to wrong tiles... I've seen it happen a couple of times now.

I had a similar problem a while back, some floor tiles randomly turned into a closed Sewer drain on the level with the sewer. I didn't report it because I figured it was part of one of the other myriad tile glitches already reported at the time, but it appears I was wrong.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 25th June 2012, 14:41

Maybe it is the luck of the draw, but I have only been seeing the same Hall of Blades (the long hallway with pillars) for quite some time. Has anyone else seen the one with all the rooms and passageways, or was that done-away with?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 25th June 2012, 14:50

The Hall changed last year to an encompass vault, which I guess means that the map definition becomes the entire level instead of being attached to a generated level?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 25th June 2012, 17:30

SPOILERS

Pearl Dragons are no longer extinct?

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 25th June 2012, 17:41

Pearl dragons have been around for a version or two.
What made you happy today?
Shatari wrote:I traded a goat for a Nintendo DS XL, and a ton of games.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 25th June 2012, 21:35

Jabberwocky wrote:Pearl dragons have been around for a version or two.

Damn that inaccurate crawl wiki. :)

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 26th June 2012, 02:12

What made you happy today?
Shatari wrote:I traded a goat for a Nintendo DS XL, and a ton of games.

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 26th June 2012, 14:09

dd wrote:Some floor tiles seem to be randomly changing to wrong tiles... I've seen it happen a couple of times now.

Please report this on the tracker, if you haven't yet. (I don't remember seeing this reported.) Does it persist (or reliably reappear) when you save and load? If so, please attach the save game.
PreviousNext

Return to Game Design Discussion