Why is poisoned ammo identified oddly?

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 2nd February 2012, 22:53

Why is poisoned ammo identified oddly?

When I encounter a new stack of ammo, whether by exploring or by god gift, some ammo shows up as "runed." This includes ammo of fire, ammo of frost, ammo of penetration, ammo of dispersal, and exploding ammo. Use it once, and the brand is identified for that stack.

Other ammo is visibly different: silver ammo, steel ammo, and poisoned ammo. The brand on this ammo is identified before you pick it up or use it, every time.

Silver and steel ammo make sense to me. You could see that at a distance.

But why isn't poisoned ammo treated like the first group of brands? Is it so Nessos can have flaming poison arrows?

If poison is meant to be different, should weapons of venom be identified form the start?

Pandemonium Purger

Post Friday, 3rd February 2012, 06:45

Re: Why is poisoned ammo identified oddly?

Venom branded weapons are magical. They begin dripping poison upon wielding, just as flaming weapons burst into flames upon the same action.
seattle washington. friends for life. mods hate on me and devs ignore my posts. creater of exoelfs and dc:pt

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 3rd February 2012, 14:43

Re: Why is poisoned ammo identified oddly?

OK. ignoring the difference between venom branded melee weapons and poison branded ammo, should poison ammo behave like fire ammo or like silver ammo?

Ideally, I'd say fire ammo and ice ammo should work like poison ammo. Since there's a 100% chance of IDing the brand the first time you use it, and there' no cursed ammo to worry about, it's just an extra step to ID the brand on every stack of ammo you find.

Return to Game Design Discussion