Show Effect of Manuals in Skill Screen

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Monday, 6th February 2012, 09:18

Show Effect of Manuals in Skill Screen

I love the new manuals, especially when you get one that's slightly off your core skills. Is that skill worth it at a 50% discount? That's a fun question to confront.

One thing that would be nice is if the skill screen showed you your skills' growth rate after the manual is applied. The percentage could also change color from brown to light blue. It would somehow make manuals feel more concrete.

Anyway, just an idea.

Vestibule Violator

Post Monday, 6th February 2012, 10:41

Re: Show Effect of Manuals in Skill Screen

Something like this is already in 0.10: the manual bonus shows up just like crosstraining.

I don't even know if manuals affect the percentage of exp going into a skill, and it doesn't matter in any case because if you want to train something more quickly you can just switch off auto training. What's important is that you get more training for the same amount of exp.

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 6th February 2012, 13:33

The training percentages don't show the skill growth rate, they show the relative amount of incoming XP which is used by each skill. If you set 2 skills with different aptitudes at 50%, they won't gain levels at the same rate.
Thus, changing the training percentage for studied skills would be misleading. The new aptitude bonus display is much closer to what's actually happening.
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

Crypt Cleanser

Post Monday, 6th February 2012, 16:10

On the subject of manuals, I kind of wish they gave you an indication of how much longer the book will last before being completely used up.

Tomb Titivator

Post Monday, 6th February 2012, 16:23

Are manuals used up based on experience gained, experience gained in a certain skill, or time?

I'm trying to figure out if there's any strategy to using manuals or if you just read any one that would be mildly useful as soon as you find it.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 6th February 2012, 16:43

snow wrote:Are manuals used up based on experience gained, experience gained in a certain skill, or time?

I'm trying to figure out if there's any strategy to using manuals or if you just read any one that would be mildly useful as soon as you find it.

If you find a manual for a skill you want, get to a place where there are a lot of good sources of XP, manually (no pun intended) focus that skill or turn off all other skills, and read that manual, then kill kill kill kill kill.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 6th February 2012, 16:43

Honestly though, I think we need a global refresher on how Manuals and Sage work.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Slime Squisher

Post Monday, 6th February 2012, 16:47

According to the knowledge bots:

1. Manuals let you train a skill more efficiently. Read a manual to activate it. While you carry it you gain twice as many skill points as normal until the manual is used up. Dropping the manual or reading it again deactivates it. The amount of skill points you gain is fixed, you can not waste a manual's benefits.
2. Manuals are generated with 2000-3000 charges, which correspond to skill points that the manual puts into the skill.

So yeah, there's no optimal strategy to using a manual. If you're going to train the skill, use that book until it's burned up.

Return to Game Design Discussion