Exploration Problems

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Tomb Titivator

Post Tuesday, 3rd January 2012, 21:14

Exploration Problems

1. Submerged enemies shouldn't stop exploration. (How do I change my options so exploration ignores them? This should be the default to be honest.)
2. You should be able to explore over most traps. (Really everyone sets trapwalk_safe_hp to 1 for everything anyway. Again this should be the default.)
3. Shoals and Swamp are tedious to explore... and most players simply dive them because of this. Evokable levitation really should be permanent to make these branches more fun.
4. Finally invisible enemies mess with exploration. If last turn you're hit by an invisible enemy I don't see any reason to allow "o" to work... it's like allowing "o" to work with a visible enemy on screen. If a player wants to continue to explore after being hit by an invisible enemy they can simply press an arrow key... and if they aren't hit again then "o" should be functional again since on the last turn they weren't hit by an invisible enemy.

I can understand why 1 and 2 have the defaults they have now... it's marginally safer since there's an incredibly small chance that carelessly walking over a trap that's already been triggered or bumping into a fish could kill you. However with traps... why can you even trigger a trap twice? I mean if you know it's there then you could just rest to full health before walking over it... it just adds tedium and there aren't any "interesting decisions" to be made. As for fish... I don't see why exploration can't just avoid melee range with the fish. There's nothing fun or interesting about walking around a trap or fish.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 3rd January 2012, 22:07

Re: Exploration Problems

Removing submerge also removes aquatic melee from the design space entirely, which might be going a bit too far. It might be better to rework it. I imagine that it was originally intended to keep players from trivially sniping them to death two tiles away from the water, in which case it could simply not work against melee attacks. Mechanically it could be a passive Deflect Missiles, flavored as diving underwater whenever the player shoots. The melee fish would also have to stop fleeing at low health, of course.

Return to Game Design Discussion