Developer Wiki Cleanup... COMPLETED!

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 19th December 2011, 20:28

Developer Wiki Cleanup... COMPLETED!

Development wiki editing completed.

There is a cleanup todo list on the wiki.

List of changes performed
- Main
- DCSS namespace main
- Mantis main
- Development and coding section here
Brainstorm
- Backgrounds (completely revised - REQUEST FEEDBACK)
- Combat
- Gods & Religion (completely revised - REQUEST FEEDBACK)
- Effects (should this content be redistributed elsewhere?)
- Game Variations
- Platform Porting - moved under Coding / Internal
- Skills & Experience (not enough topics here to matter for any reorg other than clearer renaming)
- Species (completely revised - REQUEST FEEDBACK)
- Magic & Spells (completely revised - REQUEST FEEDBACK)
- Tiles (general cleanup)
- Miscellaneous - EMPTIED (most into Gameplay)
- Mutations / Attributes category created and filled
- Monsters (restructure like gods/backgrounds/species)
- Dungeon Features and Vaults (combined, with Shops as well, to Dungeon Features and reorganized)
- User Interface (formerly Interface)
- Internal Systems & Coding (formerly Internal)
- Items & Equipment (restructure like gods/backgrounds/species)
Admin
- Created separate admin namespace for press / blog / tournament / devteam list (moved out from help)
Tag
- added tag ability
- created global implementables list for all implementables and related pages

======================================

ORIGINAL POST:

Rather than this sub-page being the start page, I focused on this main page, which is actually the natural start page of the wiki instead.

... let the hating commence.

EDIT ON ORIGINAL POST

This sub-page is back to being the primary page for DCSS, while
this main page / natural start is the primary page of the wiki itself and notes child projects
Last edited by XuaXua on Thursday, 5th January 2012, 20:10, edited 15 times in total.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

For this message the author XuaXua has received thanks: 16
dolphin, dpeg, evktalo, galehar, MyOtheHedgeFox, Napkin, roctavian, Roderic, Stormfox, Wensleydale and 6 more users

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 20th December 2011, 02:32

Re: So... I did a little cleanup of the Developer Wiki

40+ views, 3 thanks and no negative comments so far.

This makes me suspect I should continue my crusade against disorganization.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa

For this message the author XuaXua has received thanks:
greepish

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 20th December 2011, 06:50

Moved some crap around and added context and consistency, mostly related to species and backgrounds. Enough for tonight, but I find this a good place to track my activity.

I expect to revisit this thread tomorrow and find that dpeg has yelled at me. :)

greepish

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 20th December 2011, 08:53

I like the new welcome page. The dev wiki can certainly use some clean-up and reorganisation, thanks for doing it!
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

For this message the author galehar has received thanks:
XuaXua

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 20th December 2011, 12:07

XuaXua wrote:I expect to revisit this thread tomorrow and find that dpeg has yelled at me. :)

But why?

Thanks for the help!

For this message the author dpeg has received thanks:
XuaXua

Abyss Ambulator

Post Tuesday, 20th December 2011, 14:02

dpeg wrote:
XuaXua wrote:I expect to revisit this thread tomorrow and find that dpeg has yelled at me. :)

But why?

Thanks for the help!

He used an exclamation point! He's yelling! :mrgreen:
You fall off the wall. You have a feeling of ineptitude.

For this message the author Stormfox has received thanks: 2
MyOtheHedgeFox, XuaXua

Barkeep

Post Tuesday, 20th December 2011, 14:48

dpeg wrote:

But why?

Thanks for the help!

Well... I'd be a bit leery of cleaning up "someone else's" wiki... so I'm really glad you approve.

And: nice, XuaXua! It's definitely an improvement.
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

For this message the author njvack has received thanks:
XuaXua

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 20th December 2011, 15:31

njvack wrote:"someone else's" wiki

The whole point of a wiki is that it doesn't belong to anyone. Everything is historicized, so you shouldn't be afraid of losing anything when tyding up the wiki. The development wiki doesn't belong to the developers and they are all too busy coding to maintain it properly. So this work is greatly appreciated, thanks.
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

For this message the author galehar has received thanks: 3
dolphin, njvack, XuaXua

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 20th December 2011, 15:39

Re: Developer Wiki Cleanup - Feedback requested!

I did a bunch more changes. I am organizing, but not deleting anything except for irrelevant comments, etc.

I'm not crazy about the organization of the namespaces, but I do understand some items link from the outside (frex, the main page of develz and the wiki link from mantis, which really should go to the default namespace, not dcss:start), so I'm not about to start moving things around.

After reviewing the namespaces, I think a full namespace revision there should be various namespace sections as follows:

- this is the default namespace that comprises all of dcss; the current dcss namespace is truly a redundant namespace.
ADMINISTRATION
- press, devteam, etc.
DEVELOPMENT CONCEPTS
- usability, how to code, git, etc.
MANTIS
- details on mantis
WIKI
-
NEW FEATURES (working title)
- new ideas broken down by subsections; subsections identical to Current Features (below); contains list of rejected concepts also
CURRENT FEATURES (working title)
- feedback on existing ideas that are in crawl broken into subsections; subsections identical to New Features (above)

Subsections of New/Current Concepts are based on the existing Namespaces page, but will be trimmed down or revised based on the existing current items. I haven't gotten around to revising those yet, so... :)

If devteam members give me the go-ahead, I'll start a massive restructuring, should take me at most 6 hours.

edit: I love that I learned how to rename pages.
Last edited by XuaXua on Tuesday, 20th December 2011, 15:42, edited 1 time in total.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 20th December 2011, 15:41

Galehar, I understand where nvjack's coming from. I got that he understands what you mean before you posted your response. He put "someone else's" in quotes. I'm not a developer (here), but I do feel like I'm violating a bit. As long as I don't remove anything and just make sure things are tidy, then that makes it non-violative anyway, IMHO. :)

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 20th December 2011, 16:02

I think in the past there were "Brainstorming" and "Feedback" namespaces (for new and current features respectively) but they were merged into just the "Brainstorming" namespace. evktalo could probably give more details, but I think I'd agree that just having the one namespace there is better, and maybe helps prevent things from getting messy (for example, Demonspawn still have both a brainstorming-new-mutations and a feedback-existing-mutations page, except the brainstorming page also has built up feedback on ideas that got implemented, and it's all a bit confusing).

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 20th December 2011, 16:07

I'd suggest renaming the "Rejected Popular Concepts" back into "Things that won't be done". Not all of the items on this list are that popular, but they're all things that aren't going to happen any time soon. It's a "won't do list", nothing more.

For this message the author evilmike has received thanks:
XuaXua

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 20th December 2011, 16:57

evilmike wrote:I'd suggest renaming the "Rejected Popular Concepts" back into "Things that won't be done". Not all of the items on this list are that popular, but they're all things that aren't going to happen any time soon. It's a "won't do list", nothing more.

I made a compromise.

QUESTION: Does anyone know how to move a page to a different namespace without losing all the history? I know how to rename pages, but that doesn't move them.

I'm not 100% certain history is truly necessary for older pages when I move them, but I consider that data loss and I want to minimize it.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 20th December 2011, 20:25

Yeah... I'm at the point where I really need to move pages to different namespaces.

Should I just copy and paste and delete (history loss) or is there a hidden move command or do I need higher permissions for that?

I would love to combine "Vaults" and "Dungeon Features". Maybe rename "Vaults" to "Portals" since that's what is in there.

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 20th December 2011, 20:58

XuaXua wrote:Yeah... I'm at the point where I really need to move pages to different namespaces.

Should I just copy and paste and delete (history loss) or is there a hidden move command or do I need higher permissions for that?

I would love to combine "Vaults" and "Dungeon Features". Maybe rename "Vaults" to "Portals" since that's what is in there.

If you want to do something that involves losing the page's history, I'd suggest waiting on it. I don't know of a good way to do it, but there's probably a better way than "delete the page and paste it somewhere else".

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 20th December 2011, 21:04

evilmike wrote:
XuaXua wrote:Yeah... I'm at the point where I really need to move pages to different namespaces.

If you want to do something that involves losing the page's history, I'd suggest waiting on it. I don't know of a good way to do it, but there's probably a better way than "delete the page and paste it somewhere else".

I'm at a stopping point for now, then. It's really all renaming a bunch and moving at this point. Lots of stuff that should be in Misc, some that should be moved out, a couple new namespaces, etc.

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 20th December 2011, 22:50

XuaXua: Could you give one precise example of a renaming that should take place? (Please give full current and full desired links.)

22:16 < dpeg_> !tell Napkin There is someone helping with the dev wiki. Is there a way to rename spaces without losing history?
(viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3405)
23:36 <+Napkin> hmm, not sure, dpeg
23:37 <+Napkin> the rename plugin doesn't seem to
23:37 <+Napkin> maybe if i do it manually
23:37 <+Napkin> maybe !tell me which ones?
23:37 <+Napkin> i'll have a look then

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 21st December 2011, 14:09

XuaXua wrote:
evilmike wrote:

I'm at a stopping point for now, then. It's really all renaming a bunch and moving at this point. Lots of stuff that should be in Misc, some that should be moved out, a couple new namespaces, etc.

At the bottom of the page, there is an admin button. If there isn't, then you're lacking the appropriate authorization. Ask and we'll give them.
On the admin page, there is a "Page/Namespace Move/Rename..." link, under the "additional plugins" section. I did some moving and reorganizing a while back. It's cumbersome but it works. The only thing you can't do from the web interface is remove empty folders. They clutter the namespace and can only be removed manually by Napkin.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 21st December 2011, 14:15

If I have to list every move, that's going to be painful.

I am not actually certain how valuable history is on a pages older than a month since
1) generally there is some indicator of ownership on the page itself
2) many changes to a page are not history-worthy.

If he wants to try it out, I'm of the mind that the Vaults section should be a subset of Dungeon Features

VAULTS NAMESPACE
https://crawl.develz.org/wiki/doku.php? ... ault:start
should be moved to
DUNGEON FEATURES NAMESPACE
https://crawl.develz.org/wiki/doku.php? ... geon:start
AS
DUNGEON FEATURES VAULTS NAMESPACE
https://crawl.develz.org/wiki/doku.php? ... ults:start

An easier move might be:
SECRET FEATURES, which isn't a VAULT but is in VAULTS namespace
https://crawl.develz.org/wiki/doku.php? ... lt:secrets
moved to
DUNGEON FEATURES NAMESPACE as SECRETS
https://crawl.develz.org/wiki/doku.php? ... on:secrets

MEANWHILE, I'll be moving most of
:start (aka MAIN)
to
dcss:start (aka DCSS)
manually today.

I made a mistake. MAIN is an explanation of the wiki and for listing various projects, which includes (and only includes at this time), but is not exclusive to, the Mantis Tracker and DCSS.

edit: Galehar - me no havey admin.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 21st December 2011, 14:54

XuaXua wrote:MEANWHILE, I'll be moving most of
:start (aka MAIN)
to
dcss:start (aka DCSS)
manually today.

I made a mistake. MAIN is an explanation of the wiki and for listing various projects, which includes (and only includes at this time), but is not exclusive to, the Mantis Tracker and DCSS.

This has been completed; there is some redundancy, but I believe it to be acceptable.

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 21st December 2011, 14:57

XuaXua wrote:edit: Galehar - me no havey admin.

You do now. Try again.

For this message the author galehar has received thanks:
XuaXua

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 21st December 2011, 14:58

galehar wrote:

You do now. Try again.

MUAH HA HA HA HA HA!

Last edited by XuaXua on Thursday, 22nd December 2011, 15:32, edited 1 time in total.

For this message the author XuaXua has received thanks: 2
MyOtheHedgeFox, Yet Another Stupid Noob

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 21st December 2011, 15:11

XuaXua wrote:
galehar wrote:

You do now. Try again.

MUAH HA HA HA HA HA!

Galehar, you've doomed us all...

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 21st December 2011, 18:10

EDIT Moved current edit status to OP.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 21st December 2011, 22:54

Can anyone tell me what the "Special Wiki Pages" are on DokuWiki?

For example, there are various pages on other wikis which can list the "unlinked" pages (pages that are being linked to that don't exist), among other things.

Thanks!

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 22nd December 2011, 04:40

Having a little problem with the following two pages:

Interface Ideas
Interface Implementables

They appear to be
1) redundant to many other things on the wiki
2) contain things that have nothing to do with the interface topic
3) redundant to each other
4) completely overrun with disparate ideas and totally out of hand

I think these pages bece the defacto dumping grounds for all development approvals when devs seemed to throw their hands up in despair with the lack of wiki organization. Before I take a crack at them, I want one or two devs to come in and

1) explain this
2) suggest solutions for clean up

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 22nd December 2011, 07:01

As the headers of the pages indicate (if you read both): Interface ideas is the page to collect ideas. Anyone can add ideas. In a game like Crawl with its baroque interface, many, many interface proposals will pile up. I thought that one place to collect them is better than many places. Opinions may differ on this one but we had very many interface suggestions back on Sourceforge and it was a pain to manage. For example, the same idea would be filed over and over. With the current system, we usually get a comment to an existing idea.
Of the huge set of proposed ideas, the interface implementables collects those which are considered to be accepted (by the devteam). The principle should be that such ideas move from one page to the other, once agreed upon. It is very hard to get this flow correctly, but I have no idea how to improve the process.

Summary: interface ideas will inevitably pile up in large numbers. Many of those will just sit there and rot. However, not letting them sit somewhere would mean that we get the very same ideas again and again.

For this message the author dpeg has received thanks:
XuaXua

Blades Runner

Post Thursday, 22nd December 2011, 13:08

I don't know if the dokuwiki allows it, but if you could apply limited protection to the "implementables", and then grant that to the devteam editors, that would help enforce the flow.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 22nd December 2011, 15:30

I added page Tagging (categorizing) support. I'm going to create an Implementables page for each section and tag them similarly so they can be grouped in an Implementable Tag page for easy reference by developers.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 22nd December 2011, 17:00

ATTENTION DEVELOPERS

The Global Implementables List has been created.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 22nd December 2011, 19:35

Re: Developer Wiki Cleanup... COMPLETED! Feedback required!

"Someone Else's Wiki" has been edited to my satisfaction. PLEASE PROVIDE FEEDBACK BEYOND "THANKS" and "GOOD JEORB"!!!!!

As in, I need to know what I screwed up while I'm still interested in fixing it.

I think the only thing left is to set-up a page of wiki policies, like

- if you implemented something, move it off the page to an implemented category to reduce clutter, or label it with strikeout tag or something
and
- if you're creating a new page that might have a lot of different ideas in it, suffix the name with (Bulk)
and
- always retitle pages with a six = header and capitalize the first letter of each word; be descriptive in titling
etc.

Barkeep

Post Thursday, 22nd December 2011, 20:16

Re: Developer Wiki Cleanup... COMPLETED! You *MUST* feedbac

GOOD JEORB!!!!!

:)

Seriously, though -- the reorg and formatting are lovely.

The biggest trouble with the wiki is that there's a lot of... history... in lots of places. For example:

https://crawl.develz.org/wiki/doku.php? ... od:makhleb

discusses the pros and cons of removing Makhleb as a starting god for Chaos Knights, and removing MP-for-kills. It's really hard to know what ideas have been rejected by the dev team, which are planned for implementation, what's still under discussion, and what should be removed.

I feel like that page probably wants some cleaning. But again, as a non-dev, I'd worry about angering people if I just cleaned the whole CK and MP-for-kills parts of the page out. Maybe the history of that discussion is important...?
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

For this message the author njvack has received thanks:
XuaXua

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 22nd December 2011, 20:19

Re: Developer Wiki Cleanup... COMPLETED! You *MUST* feedbac

We hold the exact same thoughts regarding page cleanup, which is why I prefer wikis that have a separate page for discussion.

I am mostly curious what Napkin, evktalo and Eronarn (the top editors of said wiki, apparently) want revised.

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 23rd December 2011, 19:26

Re: Developer Wiki Cleanup... COMPLETED!

Thank you for the cleanup efforts. My only criticism (and this is a fairly minor one) is that while the cleanup is going on, it's quite hard to see new edits to the wiki that aren't cleanup related when viewing recent changes.

I suggest that in the future, if you edit a page and don't add new content (and are just moving it or tidying it up) you put "wiki cleanup" in the edit reasons.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Saturday, 24th December 2011, 02:05

Wasn't there a page full of suggestions for new non-unique monsters? The closest I could find was this: https://crawl.develz.org/wiki/doku.php?id=dcss:brainstorm:monster:creatures:start, but it's empty.

For this message the author Tiber has received thanks:
XuaXua

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 24th December 2011, 23:08

Tiber wrote:Wasn't there a page full of suggestions for new non-unique monsters? The closest I could find was this: https://crawl.develz.org/wiki/doku.php?id=dcss:brainstorm:monster:creatures:start, but it's empty.

If stuff shows up on the sitemap (button on bottom right) I probably didn't edit in an alphaindex.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 25th December 2011, 05:59

That was the exact issue. Fixed simply. Change the history of that page to see the fix and please continue to point out any additional issues.

Server Admin

Post Sunday, 25th December 2011, 11:13

Great job you are doing there! Really appreciated :-)

If you'd like to move pages and name-spaces with their history or need help deleting empty name-spaces, please ping me in IRC.

Cheers!
Please report bugs to the bug tracker, and leave feedback on the development wiki. Thank you!

For this message the author Napkin has received thanks:
XuaXua

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 26th December 2011, 20:32

Napkin wrote:Great job you are doing there! Really appreciated :-)

If you'd like to move pages and name-spaces with their history or need help deleting empty name-spaces, please ping me in IRC.

Cheers!

Thanks, Napkin. With the admin status, I have had no problem doing this on my own.

I'm 99.9% complete. I think the last things to really "do" (and anyone can pick these tasks up) are:

1) break down / clean up any "bulk" pages for readability.

2) read through the dumping ground for all ideas, which is actually just supposed to be the User Interface idea page and pull out any that are not considered "UI" (any that affect gameplay) and throw them under the correct categories.

3) Go to the Ally Management page, which is under User Interface, and sort it by Interface- and Gameplay- affecting requests and divide them up appropriately into the appropriate categories and associate the pages.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 26th December 2011, 20:34

evilmike wrote:Thank you for the cleanup efforts. My only criticism (and this is a fairly minor one) is that while the cleanup is going on, it's quite hard to see new edits to the wiki that aren't cleanup related when viewing recent changes.

I suggest that in the future, if you edit a page and don't add new content (and are just moving it or tidying it up) you put "wiki cleanup" in the edit reasons.

So many changes, I got a little lax with doing it. Going forward, there won't be any more massive alterations (there isn't a need for it at this time) like we just went through, so I don't expect anything else to get lost in the poor noise-to-signal ratio.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 27th December 2011, 21:48

Maybe it's just my browser on this particular computer, but it looks like the general formatting of the wiki is missing.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 4th January 2012, 22:43

As a note, whoever is in charge might want to make a blog post about the cleaned up Dev wiki, as (in my opinion) it should be much easier to use now for all sorts of purposes. I am not asking for any public thanks; my request is for the sake of those who might have visited the wiki one time and balked at any semblance of inaccessibility, so that they might visit again and reconsider. Said visitors might not read this forum.

Keep in mind, there is a very minor todo list (in the OP of this thread), but in the grand scheme of things, the wiki reorganization of late 2011 has been completed.

edit: More details in the appropriate section of the wiki.

Yet Another Stupid Noob

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 15th February 2012, 12:47

Blogged!

I don't have the time to check the changes more thoroughly, but what I've seen looks like a huge improvement (global implementables list - wow!). Great jeorb and many thanks!

--Eino

Return to Game Design Discussion