Rename enchant weapon scrolls

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Snake Sneak

Post Tuesday, 13th December 2011, 03:10

Rename enchant weapon scrolls

The names "enchant weapon I" and "enchant weapon II" seem rather artificial and obtuse; they don't really explain what they do. Angband uses "enchant weapon to-hit" and "enchant weapon to-dam" which explain what they do, though they still sound a bit artificial. How about "enchant weapon (accuracy)" and "enchant weapon (damage)"?
The Ed draws near! What dost thou deaux?

For this message the author ekolis has received thanks:
MyOtheHedgeFox

Spider Stomper

Post Tuesday, 13th December 2011, 03:33

Re: Rename enchant weapon scrolls

ekolis wrote:How about "enchant weapon (accuracy)" and "enchant weapon (damage)"?

This is best.

For this message the author ElectricAlbatross has received thanks:
MyOtheHedgeFox

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 13th December 2011, 04:58

Even more in line with other texts in the game would be (Acc +) and (Dam +)

Vestibule Violator

Post Tuesday, 13th December 2011, 09:03

Those are autoinscriptions, not part of the actual item names, and I think they shouldn't be part of item names. ekolis' suggestion sounds pretty good to me. What to do about ?EW3, though?

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 13th December 2011, 09:27

Galefury wrote:Those are autoinscriptions, not part of the actual item names, and I think they shouldn't be part of item names. ekolis' suggestion sounds pretty good to me. What to do about ?EW3, though?

Maybe just "enchant weapon", since it does the whole thing instead of focusing on one aspect. Or:
"Enchant weapon (both/overall)"
"Enchant weapon (accuracy and damage)" - pretty long though
"Complete enchant weapon"

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 13th December 2011, 16:04

I'd use "greater enchant weapon" or something like that for EWIII. Gets the point across well enough - you're not just enchanting both attributes - you're potentially getting the effect of four scrolls.

For EWI and EWII I am in favour of using the angband style of naming, or something similar enough to it. "Enchant weapon accuracy" and "Enchant weapon damage" are the best choices in my opinion. Using parenthesis isn't necessary.

For this message the author evilmike has received thanks: 2
mageykun, MyOtheHedgeFox

Swamp Slogger

Post Tuesday, 13th December 2011, 17:02

Why not just remove enchant weapon 1 & 2, and call the remaining one just "enchant weapon"? Having all 3 just seems like clutter to me.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 13th December 2011, 17:35

Scrolls of enchant weapon III are rare enough that removing scrolls of enchant weapon I&II would create problems.
What made you happy today?
Shatari wrote:I traded a goat for a Nintendo DS XL, and a ton of games.

Slime Squisher

Post Wednesday, 14th December 2011, 00:35

I would like to see this change, as evilmike proposed.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 14th December 2011, 05:27

Other than other Enchant / Vorpalize Scroll changes I have proposed earlier, I think it would make sense for Enchant Scrolls that fail to enchant to increase the percentage chance of the next enchant scroll of any type (blow 3 I scrolls to get a II scroll to work) succeeding on the weapon. They're rare enough; if we "waste" them at least we can get SOME use from it.

(Requested from experience blowing 4 scrolls (2 I, 2 II) trying to enchant +4 Steel Javelins to +5 and still not succeeding.)
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

hxy

Slime Squisher

Post Wednesday, 14th December 2011, 13:04

Maybe just one "Enchant Weapon" scroll, with 50% chance of +Acc, 40% chance of +Dam, and 10% chance of both?

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 14th December 2011, 15:25

hxy wrote:Maybe just one "Enchant Weapon" scroll, with 50% chance of +Acc, 40% chance of +Dam, and 10% chance of both?

Account for vorpalization and you've got a grand idea.

Do the same for curse scrolls: The new scroll of curses has a chance to curse a weapon, armour, or jewelry, and you can't sidestep it by unwielding your weapon before reading the scroll.

On the other hand, each acquirement category should have its own scroll. When you see that scroll of acquire food in the shop, you'll buy it because it weighs less than a bread ration and is harpy-proof. Or maybe that isn't a good idea after all.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 14th December 2011, 17:28

jejorda2 wrote:On the other hand, each acquirement category should have its own scroll. When you see that scroll of acquire food in the shop, you'll buy it because it weighs less than a bread ration and is harpy-proof. Or maybe that isn't a good idea after all.

Still waiting for Wand Shops to stock Scrolls of Recharging because that makes sense.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Vestibule Violator

Post Wednesday, 14th December 2011, 18:01

Another advantage of clearly labeling the enchant scrolls are accuracy and damage: it would quickly teach new players what the +n, +m on their weapons mean. I know at least when I first started playing I guessed wrong as to which was which. :p

jejorda2 wrote:
hxy wrote:Maybe just one "Enchant Weapon" scroll, with 50% chance of +Acc, 40% chance of +Dam, and 10% chance of both?

Account for vorpalization and you've got a grand idea.

Do the same for curse scrolls: The new scroll of curses has a chance to curse a weapon, armour, or jewelry, and you can't sidestep it by unwielding your weapon before reading the scroll.

On the other hand, each acquirement category should have its own scroll. When you see that scroll of acquire food in the shop, you'll buy it because it weighs less than a bread ration and is harpy-proof. Or maybe that isn't a good idea after all.

Combing the three enchant scrolls in one could work, but I could also see it getting frustrating- more randomness means it's harder to strategically plan enchants (or to combine ammo stacks!). Rolling voralization into the same scroll sounds really frustrating to me- what happens when you've got a highly enchanted weapon you want to affix a brand to? You'd have to burn a bunch of enchant scrolls, have most of them roll the I or II effects, many of which don't take effect due to high enchantment, before you finally got your vorpal affixation. Or what if you accidentally put vorpal on a weapon you wanted to enchant, but still be able to use enchant <element> spells on? Or what happens if you waste a vorpal on ammo? I mean, some of these things can happen now, early in the ID game, but later I feel you should be able to apply your resources where you want.

Simplifying and combining curse scrolls wouldn't affect most builds much. It would just mean 2 less bad things in the scroll ID minigame is all. It might cause problems for Ash worshipers who want to curse specific things though. Although, I suppose Ash could just give you the ability to aim curse scrolls, the same way he does now with remove curse.

Separate <category> acquirement scrolls seem like they miss the point to me. The only difference between an un-ID-ed ring on the floor, and a scroll of ring acquirement (for example) would be that the one ring is created at level gen, and the other when you pick it up. It just delays item creation. The interesting thing about acquirement scrolls as they are now is that they give you a choice- so you can try and get something you want, with a little less dependence on the rng.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Wednesday, 14th December 2011, 20:27

Merging scrolls is interesting but removes options to the ID game... some people would like this
duvessa wrote:Christ, you can't remove anything without tavern complaining about it.

Vestibule Violator

Post Wednesday, 14th December 2011, 21:10

One rather nice old proposal is merging EW3 and vorpalize.

Return to Game Design Discussion