(long) Weapon differentiation

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Pandemonium Purger

Post Sunday, 11th December 2011, 00:06

(long) Weapon differentiation

If you look at the tools at the disposal of someone with 27 fire magic, air magic, or charms, you will see an incredibly versatile group of abilities to take on the dungeon. If you look at the tools available to someone who has their first skill at 27 in something like Long Swords, all you will see is a basic attack. This is why I believe special attacks should be added to different weapon groups at important milestones: 9, 18, and 27.

Before replying, please keep in mind that these are not completely polished. Some spots lack fully formed ideas. I expect nothing to be near implementation. I've read the wiki articles on sprucing up combat and weapon types, and felt like I had enough ideas to put them all together and really give these weapon types a fully formed purpose beyond simple combat. I hold nothing near and dear on these ideas, and would happily work towards better ways to give these weapon types unique identities.

[Short Blades]
This has always been the most "complete" weapon skill because of the stabbing skill that augments short blades, at least until polearms were buffed in trunk. But polearms don't need a secondary skill to complete the weapon, while short blades are worthless without stabbing. Stabbing would either need to be rolled into short blades, or all weapon skills would need a secondary skill to balance experience usage if these proposals were to be added. Another idea would to be extending stabbing benefits to all weapons. This happened partially with confusing sleeping enemies successfully stabbed with a club, but that benefit usually leaves the play experience after D:3.

Level 9: Open Wounds
Chance to make the target bleed. Bleeding needs to be significantly buffed for this to have any noticeable effect. This ability is always active while a short blade is equipped and the character has a skill level of 9 or more in Short Blades.

Level 18: Smart Targeting
When a character has invested in Short Blades, this is right around the time of the game that killing high AC opponents that have survived (or perhaps, not even been hit by) stabbing becomes harder and harder. Smart Targeting (I know, bad name) halves the target's AC when calculating damage.

Level 27: Rapid Stabbing
The character has become so skilled with Short Blades that each stab attempt counts as two stabs on unaware or confused opponents.

Stabbing benefits: leave as is for short blades. Massive damage multiplier based on stabbing skills.

[Long Blades]
Long Blades could become all about defense for tanks or fragile characters. They may even become attractive to spellcasters, even with the proposed staff changes.

Level 9: Passive Parry
You gain block skill regardless of whether you already have a shield equipped or not. This does not count as a combat power and stacks with other Long Blade benefits. If the idea of block without a shield sounds strange to you, there is a Demonspawn mutation in trunk that gives armour and block as a scales mutation.

Level 18: Passive Deflection
Melee attacks are frequently countered by your weapon. The trajectory path of missiles (no spell missiles) are often altered by protective contact with the equipped blade, sending it elsewhere (but not deflecting it). This does not count as a combat power and stacks with other Long Blade benefits.

Level 27: Passive Reflection
Owing to the mastership over long blades, your character sometimes perfectly reflects bolt spells at enemies that cast them. This does not count as a combat power and stacks with other Long Blade benefits.

Stabbing benefits: A straight thrust (very low chance, increasing with stabbing skill) causes bleeding and slows the target. Since Long Blades would take a very defensive tone, this would be a simple damage over time to compensate for the lack of offensive abilities before skill level 27.

[Staves]
First off, staves should be overhauled to 1. be basic weapon types like every other weapon and 2. not be attractive in any way to non-spellcasters. All elemental staff types should be removed, leaving any staff with the ability to "absorb" the power of the caster and eventually augment the caster's ability. No needing to switch staves to channel mana or augment different spell schools. Spellcasting with a staff equipped will level staves much in the same way fighting will level an equipped weapon. Experience numbers may need to be adjusted for this, and in the end it may make hybrids less attractive if pure spellcasters need to rely on staves to be the best)

Level 9: Disorientation
Attacks by the equipped staff are not hefty enough to stun, but are strong enough to cause temporary disorientation. Enemies successfully attacked will have a chance to become confused for (turn count to be determined). The equipped staff will also begin to give spells cast by the character more power. Chance can either be proportional to the weapon skill level or the milestone achievements.

Level 18: Imbued Power
Upon a successful attack with an equipped staff, the staff will inflict extra damage based on the highest trained elemental (Necromancy. Fire, Ice, Air, Ice, Earth, Poison) skill. At this skill level, a character with an equipped staff will have an additional increased power level of spells cast, unless the increase of the bonus is proportional to the weapon skill.

Level 27: Channeling
The character gains the ability to evoke a great amount of mana from an equipped staff.

Stabbing benefits: unsure... really lacking ideas here. Again, these suggestions are not even close to being polished - I want it to serve as a basis for people to expand the ideas of differentiating weapon types.

[Maces & Flails]
Maces & Flails could be considered the "control and disposal" weapon type, allowing to stun individual enemies to stop them from casting against or harming you, to knockback enemies for positional strategy (you could literally beat a path to an exit, since knockback grants a free movement turn) or to get an annoying enemy away from a staircase to prevent them from following you up or down.

Level 9: Crushing (Certain weapons: all non-whips; certain enemies: undead)
Owing to the large area of blunt impact maces provide, attacks against undead enemies cause the Crushed debuff, permanently slowing their movement and attack speed. This may need to be a level 18 ability or lose some power, since Okawaru worshipers can just put four points into Maces & Flails and begin every fight against undead with a mace equipped and Heroism activated. This does not count as a combat power and stacks with other Maces & Flails benefits.

Level 9: Passive Stunning (certain weapons: all non-whips; certain enemies: alive)
Chance to inflict a (level 9: 1 turn, level 18: 2 turn, level 27: 3 turn) stun. Stuns caused by maces & flails cannot be triggered on targets already under the effects of a stun. Chance can either be proportional to the weapon skill level or the milestone achievements. This passive combat power cannot be used in conjunction with any other combat power. Passive Stunning can only be inflicted living enemies.

Level 9: Passive Constriction (certain weapons: only whips)
Chance to grab hold of the target and prevent movement of any kind. This is tactically useful against enemy bands, such as orcs, centaurs, and yaktaurs, where the more powerful enemies displace the puny ones close to you. A constricted enemy will be unable to swap with a more powerful ally. I personally believe this could cause a lot of meta-gamey behavior, but still like the idea.

Level 18: Passive Knockback (certain weapons: all non-whips)
Chance to knock back the target and gain a free movement turn. Chance can either be proportional to the weapon skill level or the milestone achievements. This passive combat power cannot be used in conjunction with any other combat power. This can be a very annoying skill to have on at times, which is why passive powers can be turned off and are mutually exclusive from one another.

Level 27: ????

Stabbing benefits: I really liked discovering for the first time months ago that my level 2 ogre could confuse a sleeping eney with a successful club stab. Most Maces&Flails users are, however, either gigantic brutes with very low chances of stabbing anyway, or are glowing so brightly from their sacred scourge that stabbing is completely out of the question. Perhaps something like a small silence effect - the confusion of the sudden unexpected bash to the skull leaves the target unable to form a structured phrase for a turn or two.

[Axes]
Axes could become the massive damage output weapon type, dealing multiple attacks in a short amount of time with every ability.

Level 9: Passive Cleave
Chance to hit a second target adjacent to you while attacking any enemy. A successful cleave hit will retroactively increase swing time to allow another attack to take place. This passive combat power cannot be used in conjunction with any other combat power.

Level 18: Whirlwind
Activated ability that causes the character to spin and attack all eight adjacent squares three times but counts as a singular attack with halved weapon speed. Causes exhaustion. Cannot be used while under the effect of exhaustion. (This may be a terrible ability, as where really is no benefit to running out into the open and allowing yourself to get surrounded - this is more of a "I need to save my life, I'm surrounded and I don't feel like using other finite escape options" ability)

Level 27: Decimation
Activated ability that causes the character to hack away at a singular enemy in an unexplainable frenzy. Decimation guarantees the character to land five(?) attacks on one enemy but counts as a singular attack with halved weapon speed. Causes exhaustion. Cannot be used while under the effect of exhaustion.

Stabbing benefits: Again, no ideas here. Halving AC on a successful stab?

[Polearms]
Polearms are already too strong in the early game. With proper positioning, they guarantee a free attack on any target, but it is unlikely new players know enough to take advantage of the combat benefits provided by clevel positioning while using a polearm. Polearms + speed via equipment or mutations against normal speed melee-only targets is useful the entire game. Thus, the tiered system should help players learn the benefits of choosing a weapon type that suits them

Level 9: Passive Reaching
Exactly how all polearms now work in trunk. Perhaps it can be buffed, to give a higher chance of reaching over hostile targets to kill a scarier threat based on skill level. This passive combat power cannot be used in conjunction with any other combat power.

Level 18: Passive Penetration
Attacks two enemies in a line. This is a tactical decision that will very likely be used less than reaching. However, we can compensate with a higher chance to hit the initial target, or add in something sexy to attract players to use this. Honestly I can't think of how to make this ability better. This passive combat power cannot be used in conjunction with any other combat power.

Level 27: Passive Masterful Reaching
The character with a equipped polearm is guaranteed to reach over a hostile target to hit only the target behind it. The downside to this is that it is incredibly meta-gamey, and will probably cause a lot of goofy and undesirable behavior, like dragging a rat everywhere the player goes. This will completely replace Passive Reaching, and is a combat power that cannot be used in conjunction with any other combat power.

[Slings, Crossbows, Bows, and Throwing]
These have always struck me as some of the most necessary and yet boring weapon types in the early game, so boring! Ricochet could be an amazing ability if it can hit enemies around corners. Imagine luring an orc with a priest in tow, stunning him with a mace at a corner, then lobbing off sling bullets that in turn hit the orc priest who is out of sight.

Code:
#.###
#o###
#.###
#o###
#..@.
#####

You bash the orc. The orc is stunned.
d - a +0 +0 sling (weapon)
You shoot a sling bullet at the orc. The sling bullet ricochets off the orc.
The sling bullet hits something.
You feel more experienced.

Level 9: Passive Ricochet (certain weapons: rocks, sling bullets, thrown weapons)
Chance for ammunition to hit one additional target, so long as the total distance the ammunition travels is not longer than the maximum initial travel distance. A ricochet causes as much damage as the original shot. This passive combat power cannot be used in conjunction with any other combat power, and cannot be activated with inappropriate ammunition quivered.

Level 9: Passive Impaling (certain weapons: darts, large rocks, javelins arrows, bolts)
Chance to stop an enemy hit by select ammunition in place. Enemies are not stunned, and can take any action except movement. Freeing themselves from movement acts similar to breaking out of a net, with a (low for darts, medium for bolts/arrows, high for javelins and large rocks) chance to break out by attempting movement. This passive combat power cannot be used in conjunction with any other combat power, and cannot be activated with inappropriate ammunition quivered.

Level 18: Passive Penetration
Gives all ammunition a chance to hit multiple targets in a line by punching through the target. Chance is reduced by enemy armour type but not type of ammunition. Number of targets any given ammunition penetrates is either a progressive factor of weapon skill or random chance. This passive combat power cannot be used in conjunction with any other combat power.

Level 27: Returning
All fired ammunition will return back to the skilled character who fired it, penetrating back through the targets it originally passed through. Returning as a brand removed from the game. This does not count as a combat power and stacks with other Slings/Crossbows/Bows/Throwing benefits. Returning will fail if the ammunition ricocheted to a target out of los.

Stabbing benefits: Shooting an unaware target should do something interesting I feel, but I completely understand that it is not the same at all as getting into melee range and therefore should not have much of a benefit. Perhaps something as simple as preventing movement for one turn would be good enough.

[Unarmed]
I believe that, like staves, we should make unarmed unattractive to those who do not specialize in augmented attacks. Therefore, the initial offhand attack that Unarmed offers should become a passive ability to be gained later. Species with natural augmented unarmed attacks should be the main group catered to if Unarmed gains these kinds of combat bonuses. So, with this proposal, unarmed should be attractive to: Nagas, Octopodes, Minotaurs, Demonspawn, Trolls, Ghouls, Centaurs, Kenku, and Draconains.

Level 9: Empowered augmentation
The character employs usage of his aux attacks more frequently, increasing by (0.5% per level of mutation, up to 1.5% for the third tier of a mutation - for example Claws 3) per Unarmed level of each potential mutation (claws, hooves, etc) to have a free attack. If this seems weak, the bonus is doesn't begin counting unarmed skill from level 9, but calculates the current level so a centaur would have a +13.5% increased chance. I know nothing about how crawl math works - these are not realistic numbers, I've just chosen them for example.

Level 18: Coordinated strikes
Increases the level 9 bonus to (1% per level of mutation up to 3%) per skill level of Unarmed

Level 27: Frenzied battery
Any time an extra aux attack would be granted, there is a chance that a duplicate attack would strike the opponent.

Stabbing benefits: Sorry, no idea whatsoever. I think this could be a very interesting spot to differentiate the races who really shine in unarmed. I love constriction for Naga/Octopode characters but it just doesn't make sense in this game to apply that to unaware opponents. On the other hand, in real life snakes are much more likely to successfully constrict prey by surprise.

I stress again that this is NOT a polished proposal. I desperately want feedback because I profess no perfect answer to anything here. There is great potential for this game to make weapon types more meaningful than they are now, and these proposals could really make people think twice about switching weapon types early on with milestones to look forward to. Please please give feedback!
Last edited by twelwe on Sunday, 11th December 2011, 00:54, edited 2 times in total.
seattle washington. friends for life. mods hate on me and devs ignore my posts. creater of exoelfs and dc:pt

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Sunday, 11th December 2011, 00:41

Re: (long) Weapon differentiation

Hi, you might wanna check the dev wiki, there is already some brainstorming on the matter, and people generally agree that short blades so far is the only good weapon skill.

Three comments:

1) I suggest you read my thread viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3284, as these two go hand in hand, and is the very reason I suggested it. Unfortunately, nobody seems to actually understand it, so I didn't even get many negative posts.

2)I disagree with the staves idea, I think getting rid of elemental staves and staves of channeling and such removes too much randomness. Otherwise okay.

3) I don't think having multiple abilities on the same weapon is a good idea. Adding too many abilities to a common use thing will sort of bog down the game. Either one, or possibly two abilties, that somehow increase in effectiveness with weapon skill, I think is better.

Pandemonium Purger

Post Sunday, 11th December 2011, 00:48

greepish wrote:Hi, you might wanna check the dev wiki, there is already some brainstorming on the matter, and people generally agree that short blades so far is the only good weapon skill.

Three comments:

1) I suggest you read my thread viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3284, as these two go hand in hand, and is the very reason I suggested it. Unfortunately, nobody seems to actually understand it, so I didn't even get many negative posts.

2)I disagree with the staves idea, I think getting rid of elemental staves and staves of channeling and such removes too much randomness. Otherwise okay.

3) I don't think having multiple abilities on the same weapon is a good idea. Adding too many abilities to a common use thing will sort of bog down the game. Either one, or possibly two abilties, that somehow increase in effectiveness with weapon skill, I think is better.

1. I'll check it out, thanks!
2. I'll agree with you about the lack of randomness there, however there is already so little choice with staves that any spellcaster will almost undeniably get whatever they want by level 20 anyway. I think this is a function of the low choices of weapon types, not brands, so when a staff spawns it usually isn't a lajatang because it is probably an elemental staff.
3. When you say multiple abilities do you mean like Long Blades where they stack, or Axes where there are 3 different attacks? Both?
seattle washington. friends for life. mods hate on me and devs ignore my posts. creater of exoelfs and dc:pt

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Sunday, 11th December 2011, 00:50

What I mean is that you should choose the best one or two abilities in each weapon and dump the rest.

And as for passive vs active, I'd say active is better. Wouldn't want people to pick one weapon over another just cause one is boring :)

Pandemonium Purger

Post Sunday, 11th December 2011, 00:51

nevermind, won't close this unless a mod thinks the threads are too close
Last edited by twelwe on Sunday, 11th December 2011, 00:56, edited 1 time in total.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Sunday, 11th December 2011, 00:53

Heh, actually you might wanna keep this thread alive, there's enough difference that some might like this idea but not mine, or vice verse :)

Edit: I mean my other thread is more about artifacts and setting up for future changes like this, it actually isn't this idea. But you can see how giving the player the ability to have multiple effective weapons makes this idea stronger.

Swamp Slogger

Post Sunday, 11th December 2011, 01:10

I agree with the analysis, and that weapon skills should be as interesting as spell skills in what they offer. In my opinion activated abilities are best for achieving that goal, in particular abilities that have tactical effects. Passive effects are fine, and of course better than nothing, but personally I'd prefer mainly activated ones. These could be gained automatically, but it might make "historical" sense to learn these from books... It would be a big step away from the D&D norm, but in reality specific martial arts moves were indeed taught through "fechtbuchen", or martial arts manuals, throughout the middle ages.

Personally I think the more (tactically different) abilities the merrier. Something like at least 5 for each skill would be ideal imo. The key is "tactical" or interesting: just as 10 different variations of a single-target "nuke" spell is boring, so is 10 "do more damage" abilities.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Sunday, 11th December 2011, 01:12

Keep in mind, though, adding a lot of interesting benefits to weapons, other than bogging down the game a bit, makes trog users kind of complex. I think it's the intention that they're one button wonders.

Swamp Slogger

Post Sunday, 11th December 2011, 01:14

greepish wrote:Keep in mind, though, adding a lot of interesting benefits to weapons, other than bogging down the game a bit, makes trog users kind of complex. I think it's the intention that they're one button wonders.

That's the opposite of my experience. ;)

If I want to play something mindless, I roll up a DEWz and steamroll anything that comes in my way.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Sunday, 11th December 2011, 01:16

I didn't say trog was easy, just that he has few abilities and is kind of known for that. Then again, I'm guessing you wouldn't get these abilities while berserking.

Pandemonium Purger

Post Sunday, 11th December 2011, 01:27

Merit of importance of this proposal aside, what weapon abilities are cool? Which are bad? When should the milestones occur?

greepish wrote:I didn't say trog was easy, just that he has few abilities and is kind of known for that. Then again, I'm guessing you wouldn't get these abilities while berserking.

I only wrote that the axe abilities get exhaustion, since some of them (reaching, for example) shouldn't be that restricted.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Sunday, 11th December 2011, 01:45

Well, I'll just go with the ones I don't like, just assume I find the others fine ;)

A) Smart Targetting: Admittedly this makes short blades easier to use,.. but that's not a good thing imo. Stabbing is already extremely powerful, forcing stabbers to pick a god or diversify for normal damage is best.

B)Passive Parry: Makes two handed weapons a no-brainer.

C)Passive reflection: Too good defense vs. Orbs of fire

D) Passive Masterful reaching: You're forgetting spammals and sputterflies, not just random rats ;) Edit: missed the hostile part. nvm

E)Returning: Too high a level. Getting rid of an entire brand just so people can rarely, if ever, use returning in zot isn't a good idea. Getting rid of a brand is probably a bad idea anyways.

F) All unarmed. Just too bland ;) All three of them all basically combine to one passive skill.

All the rest that are possibly abusive can easily be fixed with correct numbers.

Vestibule Violator

Post Sunday, 11th December 2011, 17:26

A few things:

1. Skill breakpoints are not good
Note that during 0.10 development skill milestones have been mostly removed. Skills give benefit for partial levels whenever possible, and the level 1 spellcasting requirement for learning spells is gone. The only significant milestones remaining are skill needed to reach min delay and skill needed to eliminate shield penalties, and afaik these are generally regarded as not so good. If weapon skills are added, they should not suddenly pop into existence upon reaching a specific level. Any weapon type benefits should either be fully available from the start (like reaching) or gradually increase with skill level. At what skill level they start increasing doesn't matter. The chance for some special effect to trigger could be (skill level - 9) * 1% for example, so there's no chance for an effect from level 0-9, and from 9 on the chance gradually increases (possibly with diminishing returns).

Sudden increases at certain skill levels can be spoilery (see min delay and shield skill). This is not a problem with this proposal, because the relevant skill levels are designed to always be the same.

Another problem, which applies to this proposal, is that breakpoints encourage micromanagement of skill levels. If you just want 15 shields skill to remove the casting penalty, you need to switch it off immediately upon reaching level 15. This proposal would encourage training a weapon skill to exactly level 9 to get the benefit. The next step would usually be training to min delay. Then level 18, and finally 27, with levels between these breakpoints (especially after reaching min delay) considered wasted.

Finally, breakpoints make no sense. Why would you be able to do something that you just learned very well? An example of this is your suggestion of only enabling polearm reaching at level 9. Skill level 8.9 wouldn't let you reach, but at 9.0 you suddenly can. The only thing that changed is that you can use polearms a tiny bit better, but suddenly you can use them to attack enemies one square away?

Because of these reasons smooth increases instead of breakpoints are the way to go IMO. Level 27 could be an exception, because you have to stop training at that point anyway. I don't see a compelling reason for a special bonus at skill level 27, though. Breakpoints work in many other games, but I think they wouldn't work very well in crawl.

2. Many of your suggestions are not good
Many of them make no sense, for example all of your suggestions for ranged weapons. Remember that weapon skills are just skills. There's no magic or mystical powers, just how well you can utilize the weapon. How fast you can attack with it (attack delay), how hard you can hit with it (damage), how good you are at hitting the enemy at all (to hit), and how good you are at hitting specific vulnerable parts (damage again). No matter how good you are with a bow, you cant make your arrows return to you.

Others don't fulfill previously discussed requirements and guidelines, such as "no active abilities". Another example: Passive Masterful Reaching. The possibility for reaching to sometimes hit enemies that are in the way was only introduced to limit abuse. And here you go, proposing to remove it (granted, at skill level 27 it would hardly matter, it's more of an early game problem). Also for example your short blade ideas go directly against what currently makes short blades interesting: they are usually rather weak in a fair fight against a high AC enemy, stabbing is what makes them viable. This is actually what distinguishes short blades from all other weapon types, and you are suggesting to make them more effective against high AC enemies.

And of course, as you said, almost all of these ideas are fairly unpolished. Also sometimes you seem to have an extremely skewed view of balance. You propose the ability to always attack two enemies in a row for polearms, and then say it probably wouldn't get used much? Surely double damage while fighting multiple enemies in a corridor is something few players would pass up.

This is just a side effect of you trying to come up with three (or sometimes more) unique effects for every weapon type. It's just too much, it cant all be good. IMO coming up with one good effect per weapon type will be a huge challenge. Even something as simple as adding reaching to all polearms has lots of side effects and problems, and that's just one weapon ability.

Of course brainstorming is important, and the tavern is a good place to do it.

3. The proposal as a whole has problems
Three (or more) special weapon effects are just too much. People have to memorize them, learn how to best utilize them, and weigh the benefits, considering opportunity cost and what weapons are actually available in their game. I think it would be best to focus on one or at the very most two passive effects for each weapon type, that are simple to understand, yet deeply affect gameplay. Easy to learn, difficult to master.

I also think delaying the differences between weapon types until skill level 9 is not good. The differences should be noticeable nearly from the start. The early game is fairly boring, and differentiating the weapon types has the potential to make it a lot more interesting. Requiring some skill investment to make good use of the new weapon abilities is probably good (otherwise it might be optimal to carry one weapon of each type around, in case a situation where the effect is useful comes up), but 9 is too much IMO. Also, breakpoints = bad.

4. Previous discussion
There are some wiki pages that deal with differentiating the weapon types in some way. Reading those would probably be a good idea for anyone who wants to discuss this topic.
Weapon perks and special moves
Skill mastery
Stabbing

I hope this didn't come across too negatively. Brainstorming is good! Anyway, I'm all spent now, no energy left to take an in-depth look at your specific suggestions.

For this message the author Galefury has received thanks:
Grimm

Crypt Cleanser

Post Monday, 12th December 2011, 03:37

I will start with negatives points :
Skills breakpoints (add spoilers and micromanagement)
Too much skills, but few active (active is a way more interactive way to differentiate things).
Some balance issues (short sword way too much dps if not nerfed)
Some duplication of already in content (unarmed aux attack chance)
No ranged weapon differenciation (why will a bow play the same way than a crossbow?)
Benefits of weapons comes really to late to be noticeable for a *noob* or to matter in early game.

The good points :
Well presented suggestion and definition of the issue to resolve (all weapon play the same).
You have in mind what each type of weapon should be (m&f aoe+stun, lb def bonus...)
You mention god interaction. (but should dive deeper)
Render stabbing interresting for non-short blade

Some more butter:
Why not add some negative perks to balance and further differentiate weapons?
God interactions (mostly oka, chei and trog).
If each type are too differentiate, may lead to more abusive weapon switching. (mace in open, polearm in corridor, long sword to flee...)
Message printed for ability uses.
Monster usage of these abilities.

My suggestion:
One passive and one active skill for each type of weapons.
Skills should scale seamlessly.
Active skill should have a cost (time to use, hunger, energy, exhaustion...)

Abyss Ambulator

Post Monday, 12th December 2011, 18:22

I think that weapon switching would be an ideal situation, actually. I would very much like it if the situation was no longer "choose one weapon and use it forever except in extreme circumstances.

Return to Game Design Discussion