You can't wear this

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Tomb Titivator

Post Monday, 5th December 2011, 09:43

You can't wear this

Most players wait until they have 9 strength to wear armour with a -3 evasion penalty since it's really not worth it otherwise. Why not simply remove the penalties altogether and prevent players from equipping such armour until they have 9 strength? At the moment spoiled players generally wouldn't put on armour that makes them weaker and unspoiled players will die and probably not understand what they did wrong.

A little prompt that says "you need 9 strength to wear this" would prevent a lot of seemingly unavoidable deaths for new players. I mean, they are avoidable, just only if you're spoiled and the fact that you even need to be spoiled isn't exactly apparent. This is borderline dipping-for-excalibur.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Monday, 5th December 2011, 10:23

Re: You can't wear this

Well, actually wearing armour with less than 3*EVP in str is sometimes the right thing to do. For example, wearing dragon armour with 8 str would be like wearing -4 EVP armour. So your suggestion would just be restricting choices for no clear reason.

Also, players already get a warning when they wear this amour with 'insufficient' str. So I don't think the reality is anything like the tableau you have painted regarding nethack.
mikee_ has won 166 times in 396 games (41.92%): 4xDSFi 4xMDFi 3xDDCK 3xDDEE 3xHOPr 2xDDHe 2xDDNe 2xDSBe 2xKeAE 2xMfCr 2xMfSt 2xMiAr 2xMiBe 2xNaTm 1xCeAr 1xCeAs 1xCeBe 1xCeEn 1xCeFE 1xCePa 1xCeTm 1xCeWz 1xDDAs 1xDDCr 1xDDHu 1xDDTm 1xDENe 1xDEWz

Tomb Titivator

Post Monday, 5th December 2011, 14:54

It's not very apparent because a player might think that armour always gives a penalty and the penalty in turn is always worth it. There definitely are situations at the moment where wearing weaker armour is the better decision and it's just not very apparent without being spoiled. The differences could literally be the difference between life and death in the stages that it matters.

This is a black and white example of how spoiled info that isn't always acquired from multiple ascensions can prevent seemingly unavoidable deaths.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Monday, 5th December 2011, 15:23

I don't think it's quite so bad, as one need only to check spell success to find it suddenly drop. Newbies tend to only wear robes if they cast spells anyways. Even the -3 EV penalty, without any strength penalties, can and will cause newb death if they don't prepare their skills accordingly or check spell success.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Monday, 5th December 2011, 15:53

snow wrote:It's not very apparent because a player might think that armour always gives a penalty and the penalty in turn is always worth it. There definitely are situations at the moment where wearing weaker armour is the better decision and it's just not very apparent without being spoiled. The differences could literally be the difference between life and death in the stages that it matters.

This is a black and white example of how spoiled info that isn't always acquired from multiple ascensions can prevent seemingly unavoidable deaths.

"Your low strength makes using this armour more difficult."

This is not a matter of being spoiled. It is a matter of basic reading comprehension and common sense. The message makes it very, very clear that there is a penalty and how to reduce/remove that penalty. It arguably takes a tiny bit of spoilers to know how much strength you need to mitigate penalties, but anybody skilled enough to have a chance of winning spoiler-less should not have much trouble with this.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Monday, 5th December 2011, 19:52

So what happens if you're wearing plate with just enough strength to do so and sickness/mutations take your strength below that amount?
The best strategy most frequently overlooked by new players for surviving: not starting a fight to begin with.

Snake Sneak

Post Tuesday, 6th December 2011, 22:28

TwilightPhoenix wrote:So what happens if you're wearing plate with just enough strength to do so and sickness/mutations take your strength below that amount?

Currently, you just whimper a little and hope to regain lost stats, or mutate it away. Jivya likes to do this with stat shuffling.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Tuesday, 6th December 2011, 23:39

I don't mean now, I mean with the whole "Can't wear this if your stats aren't high enough" suggestion. That's a biggie because what's preventing someone from getting around it by putting on rings of strength, putting on their armor, and then switching rings?
The best strategy most frequently overlooked by new players for surviving: not starting a fight to begin with.

Barkeep

Post Thursday, 8th December 2011, 13:42

TwilightPhoenix wrote:I don't mean now, I mean with the whole "Can't wear this if your stats aren't high enough" suggestion. That's a biggie because what's preventing someone from getting around it by putting on rings of strength, putting on their armor, and then switching rings?

You *can* wear whatever you want; you just suffer penalties if your STR isn't high enough. So you'd take off the rings and start suffering the penalties.
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Thursday, 8th December 2011, 13:54

njvack wrote:
TwilightPhoenix wrote:I don't mean now, I mean with the whole "Can't wear this if your stats aren't high enough" suggestion. That's a biggie because what's preventing someone from getting around it by putting on rings of strength, putting on their armor, and then switching rings?

You *can* wear whatever you want; you just suffer penalties if your STR isn't high enough. So you'd take off the rings and start suffering the penalties.

The suggestion at the top of the thread was to not allow wearing of the armour at all if you can't do so without penalty, and the question was how to handle it if you temporarily buff your Str.
You fall off the wall. You have a feeling of ineptitude.

Barkeep

Post Thursday, 8th December 2011, 14:11

Aw man, y kant njvack read? :oops:

That alone seems like e convincing reason to leave things as they are, then.

And anyhow, we don't prevent equipping an Exec Axe with no Axes skill; the game doesn't even warn you in that case.
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 8th December 2011, 17:05

Preventing suffering of equipment penalties is removing meaningful decisions, which seems to run counter to the crawl design philosophy listed in the manual. Maybe it's also adding clarity, but clarity is listed as a minor goal while decisions are listed as a major goal.

Spider Stomper

Post Thursday, 8th December 2011, 18:24

Penalties are fine. The problem is that sometimes you can completely cancel them if you reach a certain threshold (e.g. spell's food costs). An example of a well designed penalty is the effect of heavy armour in spellcasting: no matter how high your armour skill is, the penalty never disappears.

If you give the players something for free, they will always aim for it.

Return to Game Design Discussion