Turtles/snails hiding in shells

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Dungeon Master

Post Sunday, 27th November 2011, 17:01

Re: Turtles/snails hiding in shells

I guess it was coded mostly for the coolness factor. 8By the way, I proposed, and still stand by, the idea of being able to push them around.)

It would matter if a monster retreated in a shell was imperceivable to all attacks, or at least to all ranged and magical attacks.

Swamp Slogger

Post Sunday, 27th November 2011, 17:17

There's the potential for an interesting situation where the defence boost means it will be hard to kill it fast enough before you have to retreat (due to other monsters). That almost never happens, though.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Sunday, 27th November 2011, 20:04

I personally just think of it as a slightly less annoying fleeing. Because seriously, that agate snail isn't going to escape from anybody.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Sunday, 27th November 2011, 23:58

Yeah it's not like sheep and sticky flame has any intended purpose, but it is funny the first time you see it ;)

Halls Hopper

Post Monday, 28th November 2011, 04:53

greepish wrote:Yeah it's not like sheep and sticky flame has any intended purpose, but it is funny the first time you see it ;)

Sheep and sticky flame is funny every time you see it.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Monday, 28th November 2011, 14:16

Zuboki wrote:
greepish wrote:Yeah it's not like sheep and sticky flame has any intended purpose, but it is funny the first time you see it ;)

Sheep and sticky flame is funny every time you see it.

Case in point, I started giggling just thinking about that. Of course, I'm easily amused. I'd make a poor Xom.

Back on topic, there would be corner cases where the snail in its shell would cut off an escape route. But the level layout of Lair tends to make that very rare.
You fall off the wall. You have a feeling of ineptitude.

Blades Runner

Post Monday, 28th November 2011, 17:46

Can't say as I've ever been annoyed by an Agate snail. Mostly grateful (when victory dancing was still around) or at worst indifferent. Personally, I think it's a neat feature.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 28th November 2011, 18:10

Someone once described a vault where one-space islands occupied by agate snails were distantly spaced in deep water or lava. When your levitation or flight wears off, the snail would become annoying. I haven't seen the vault, and I don't know if it is in the game.

I guess there would need to be a silent spectre nearby to make it dangerous enough.

Return to Game Design Discussion