EV Nerf: Not too bad!

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Vestibule Violator

Post Friday, 14th January 2011, 17:45

EV Nerf: Not too bad!

I just wanted to say that, though I was initially worried about the recent EV nerf, I think it worked out okay. My recent HaBe relied on EV for defence and did allright despite having only +2 robes and +3 leather armours, and not having any AC or EV bonuses from randarts.

He did however have +6 ring of evasion (used a fair bit), and near the end got a sling of evasion (didn't know those existed) but didn't use it as I had better slings.

So: EV based characters still very playable. By reports, AC characters like MDFi now also playable again. So, good job!

Abyss Ambulator

Post Friday, 21st January 2011, 14:52

Re: EV Nerf: Not too bad!

My opinion is the same.

I'm absolutely pleased with the most recent AC/EV changes. Playing EV fighters is challenging, but neither very hard, nor a no-brainer, as it should be. Heavy armour is also feels playable again, and I'm especially fond of how some kind of characters can cast in heavy armour (my only try of a MDFE was very succesful), without making that a too strong combination.

So +1 on good job, and in my opinion the AC/EV system don't need any more adjustments, at least I'm not avare of any. I've been playing since 5.x, and I've never enjoyed heavy and light armoured fighters so much.

Halls Hopper

Post Friday, 21st January 2011, 16:10

Does this refer specifically to the change where armour enchantment is restricted to <= base AC, or was there a nerf to the EV mechanics themselves that I'm not aware of?

Vestibule Violator

Post Friday, 21st January 2011, 18:10

The nerf as I understand it is:

- max AC enchantment now tied to armour base AC
- randarts are no longer generated with +AC or +EV bonuses.

The first is a nerf to EV characters because it means they can't also get a bunch of AC by enchanting a robe above +2. I believe randart robes with extra AC may still be generated though. AC-oriented builds are actually buffed because heavy armours can now take even more enchantment.

The second is a nerv to EV characters but also AC characters because it means fewer sources of AC/EV in the game.

However, my HaBe with really good dodging aptitudes and shields aptitudes was pretty good defensively even despite these changes. I can't speak for builds that can't/don't do dodging or shields as well.

Return to Game Design Discussion