Ending Vaults Screens

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 20th November 2011, 07:31

Ending Vaults Screens

So... as some of you know, I recently beat a game of Crawl and boy was the text message that I escaped and won both simultaneously relieving and underwhelming.

Would it be a lot of work to have a character go the final stairs and enter one of several randomized vaults, with locked movement (they cannot be explored, they are only pictures; the character stays at the downstairs to the dungeon)?

One might be, for example an apocalyptic scene with a flower or a butterfly,
another might be full of demons,
another could be Jessica and Duvessa and Marjorie and some of the other unique ladies partying,
another could be Rupert and Norris hanging out at a beach
there could be a village of whatever race the character is, etc.

The point would be just to display a screen of some sort, maybe even a variety of small dungeon entrances; could even have some sort of dismal screen when the character escapes without the orb.

Good / Bad / Terrible idea?
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Tomb Titivator

Post Sunday, 20th November 2011, 11:29

Re: Ending Vaults Screens

I was a bit let down too when I first won.

I forget why exactly you're looking for the orb but a little story of what you do with it after you win would be nice. The abrupt game over screen you get isn't very fun.

Vestibule Violator

Post Sunday, 20th November 2011, 14:40

Re: Ending Vaults Screens

I expected something MKIII-like, but that's too much to make (hm, a lot of races * a lot of backgrounds * a lot of gods * a lot of player behaviour types...).

On the other hand, an ANSI image (even slightly animated) drawn in something like JavE would be nice to see!
If you find any mistakes or typos in my post, feel free to PM me about it. Thanks in advance!

The Verse flows throughout Aquaria...
Through each ripple and wave...
Through every living being...
The Verse binds us all as one.

Return to Game Design Discussion