Spell Proposal: Abduction

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 10th May 2013, 17:42

Spell Proposal: Abduction

Abduction: Pull an enemy closer to you. Translocations, probably level 5-6, but vary it as needed.

Basically a blink other closer to you. Useful for bringing ranged threats up close to a melee character. Not sure just how powerful to make it from a balance standpoint - should the mob always end up in melee range, have a chance to be one space away, etc. How resistible should it be? I'd like to see something that could work all game long, of course, so probably make it HD-resistible rather than MR? It should probably have some chance to fail, but ideally with high translocations skill it would be nearly a sure thing.

Could make it harder to pull heavier mobs (do mobs have weight? if not, use size?) like apportation.

*Yes this is totally based on the abduct spell added to starcraft 2. I think it translates really well to crawl too :)

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 10th May 2013, 17:47

Re: Spell Proposal: Abduction

Except it's single target, more reliable, and available to everyone. I mean, Mahkleb has minor destruction but I haven't seen stone arrow and throw frost removed from the game either.

And who would be crazy enough to actually play a god that forbids haste? That would be stupid, really.

Vestibule Violator

Post Friday, 10th May 2013, 19:23

So we had chain lightning, we recently got force push and now we need force pull, is that what you're saying? Jedi class here we come!

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 10th May 2013, 20:19

Hmm, would force choke be ranged constrict?

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 10th May 2013, 20:21

BlackSheep wrote:Hmm, would force choke be ranged constrict?

Another one for the Crawl fetishists

Pandemonium Purger

Post Saturday, 11th May 2013, 02:40

tasonir wrote:Abduction: Pull an enemy closer to you. Translocations, probably level 5-6, but vary it as needed.

Basically a blink other closer to you. Useful for bringing ranged threats up close to a melee character. Not sure just how powerful to make it from a balance standpoint - should the mob always end up in melee range, have a chance to be one space away, etc. How resistible should it be? I'd like to see something that could work all game long, of course, so probably make it HD-resistible rather than MR? It should probably have some chance to fail, but ideally with high translocations skill it would be nearly a sure thing.

Could make it harder to pull heavier mobs (do mobs have weight? if not, use size?) like apportation.

*Yes this is totally based on the abduct spell added to starcraft 2. I think it translates really well to crawl too :)

a player blink other close spell is already being discussed by the dev team
seattle washington. friends for life. mods hate on me and devs ignore my posts. creater of exoelfs and dc:pt

Dungeon Master

Post Saturday, 11th May 2013, 03:42

twelwe wrote:a player blink other close spell is already being discussed by the dev team

It is?

For this message the author sgrunt has received thanks: 2
Arrhythmia, pratamawirya

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 11th May 2013, 09:39

I certainly hope so, it's a great tool which is kind of oddly missing once you think about the possibilities there. Kind of surprised it took me this long to think about it :) any links to where they're discussing it, or has it not be written up yet?

Return to Game Design Discussion