Remove monster usage of tele/blink scrolls

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 19th November 2011, 23:53

Re: Remove monster usage of tele/blink scrolls

I actually don't think I've ever seen monsters use teleportation or blinking scrolls. It seems to me that the random convergence of monster and consumable is too uncommon to be worth saving.

If for some reason it is desirable to have monsters use consumables, it might be better to give a random subset of monsters some Schrödinger's consumables instead of real ones. Basically, suppose that 1 in 5 orc packs spawn with a Schrödinger's scroll of teleportation in the quasi-possession of the strongest orc, which that orc uses up if panicked. If that orc is killed without using up the Schrödinger's scroll, no real consumable drops because it never actually existed. In this way, consumable use by monsters can be increased to more relevant levels without giving a noticeable consumable advantage to stabbers and casters with a confusion-inflicting spell. Likewise, orc packs could regularly quaff Schrödinger's potions of speed or berserk rage for their interesting tactical effects without impacting player resources.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 20th November 2011, 00:27

Yeah, that would explain why I've never seen it happen. Seems like a very safe thing to remove.

o_O

Snake Sneak

Post Sunday, 20th November 2011, 01:11

KoboldLord wrote: Likewise, orc packs could regularly quaff Schrödinger's potions of speed or berserk rage for their interesting tactical effects without impacting player resources.

That would be a good way to make orc packs more relevant later in the dungeon.

Return to Game Design Discussion