Feedback on Fedhas.

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Snake Sneak

Post Friday, 18th November 2011, 17:46

Feedback on Fedhas.

I've just ascended a MfHu of Fedhas and here are my thoughts on the God:

** is way too early to be able to create oklobs, which can deal with pretty much anything up to late dungeon levels on their own, especially early melee powerhouses, oklobs so early absolutely trivialise them and I believe they should be granted later in the game, and give a bigger piety drop on death, to make them a more expensive resource. Or perhaps make them cost piety + fruit on creation, but not have the piety cost be too big. Maybe a limit per dungeon level might be necessary as well, I don't know. Yes, they are that strong. The only time when they stop being useful is in a very dire situation most other Gods wouldn't help anyway, they start dying moderately fast only in vaults:8 , late dungeon levels and zot:5. Fruit requirement is not a problem until you've run out of them in late game, and that's fine IMO.

Sunlight is useless in most situations, I haven't noticed if it also illuminates invisible creatures. If it doesn't, it should. It's an ok-ish power (more useful for a non-merfolk or kenku), but it doesn't feel particularly useful for the most of the game. Maybe a minor effect on the undead could fit in here, but I'm not completely in favour of this.

I haven't used reproduction a single time so I can't comment on it. I will test it though, since fedhas is useful and fun throughout a 3 rune game.

Fedhas protecting plants from harm is a nice flavour and a useful abillity.

Mushrooms start dying too fast for what they're worth early on. Unless it's intended that they shouldn't be used after dlvl: 13-14, something should be done about them. Maybe let player evolve them an additional time for a cost of fruit/piety from **** or *****? They simply can't survive later encounters, and are not worth the piety hit right now.

Rain is quite situational as well, but the fact that it has a chance of creating plants is very nice. I'm not sure how useful this power is for a non-merfolk, but I can safely say that even with a merfolk this power was highly situational, and mostly useful for killing uniques who can't swim.

Note that I've spend most of my game with full piety. ***** at the end is because of lack of corpses to pray for.

Overall it feels that too much of the god's usefulness depends on creating oklobs, and they are granted a bit too early. Since you won't need many mushrooms just outside the temple, you're free to hoard all the piety you will ever need for later stages of the game. And yes, there is little to the god other than oklobs and reproduction IMO.

Also, I can comment on the 'intended playstyle' of a ranged fedhas worshipper. Unless you are using magic this is not viable, because of lack of ammunition, and the fact that oklobs are more useful for dealing damage while you tank the hits (that wouldn't matter if the more ranged oriented playstyle was viable). With a merfolk hunter I disabled my throwing skills because javelins are very heavy, equipment management is cumbersome and you won't find many of them, even after shoals:5 (that was the main reason I went there - to get the javelins). I think the issue is that there are not enough javelins generated in the dungeon, since yaktaurs or centaurs don't use them, and there's practically no monster outside of shoals who can give a supply of those, it just isn't worth the hassle.

Cheers.

Snake Sneak

Post Friday, 18th November 2011, 21:56

Re: Feedback on Fedhas.

I always found the mushrooms to be useful against anything that can be confused by them. In fact I find mushrooms to be about equivalent to the oklabs, but they are good for different things. Both of them make the early game rather easy. I like to think of the mushrooms as pretty equivalent to maklebs' lesser servant. They are a bit weaker, but they are permanent and usually last a few levels if you take care of them.

Sunlight is great. It is smite targeted and always seems to illuminate the target giving quite a noticeable boost to your accuracy. More useful if you are using an large inaccurate weapon like a battleax or something.

I found reproduction is an awesome way for you to accidentally confuse yourself and hit one of your own plants making fedhas instantly deliver some wrath. The only use I found for it was starting up a hyperactive ballistomite minefield. This could potentially do quite a lot of damage to a target with all of the repeated spore-blasts. I found that keeping a tough enemy in the randomly sprouting radius required you to be closer then you would like anyway (with little cover since if you put your own plants there they will surly die). Second the exploding spores are very very noisy making it not so great to use in the areas you would want to like final vault areas.

Rain is situational sure, but when it works it can make your life so much easier. In particular note that the royal jelly and ancient liches do not fly. Heck, in zot you really just have to watch out for dragons and orbs of fire, but most of the denizens get penned in quite nicely.

In short, I think fedhas works pretty well for what it is.

Swamp Slogger

Post Friday, 18th November 2011, 22:42

I think the health of the mushrooms is based on your invo, and yours was only 10 so that may be why they felt so squishy? Sunlight is an AoE corona so it does reveal invis (great for early horrors).

I've still not won a Fedhas character, but I've splatted some pretty late (after doing tomb with Oklobs etc) and I think the Mushrooms are extremely useful early game, not only for the confusion and damage but also as a fallback to switch places with when things go wrong, they make really great meat shields even in zot! And the confusing touch can trivialize many uniques if you lure them into a mob of them.
The Oklobs are extremely powerful for lots of branch ends like Swamp, Snake, Vaults and even Tomb, but by that time in the game Fedhas isn't giving you that much else with any killing power, so I think it's ok for them to be that strong.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Saturday, 19th November 2011, 05:33

Reproduction is pretty awesome once you have Clarity. Especially if you have a mass casualty spell. Kill a bunch of monsters, bring another horde over to their bodies, use reproduction, and watch as they all explode in sporey goodness. The noise will then attract more monsters, which in turn run into spores summoned from the second pack you just killed, and then... well, you get the idea. Eventually, ballistomycete will be ruling a level you've used reproduction on several times and will happily spread more spores about to explode on other hapless monsters.
The best strategy most frequently overlooked by new players for surviving: not starting a fight to begin with.

Snake Sneak

Post Saturday, 19th November 2011, 08:13

Dustbin wrote:I think the health of the mushrooms is based on your invo, and yours was only 10 so that may be why they felt so squishy? Sunlight is an AoE corona so it does reveal invis (great for early horrors).

I've still not won a Fedhas character, but I've splatted some pretty late (after doing tomb with Oklobs etc) and I think the Mushrooms are extremely useful early game, not only for the confusion and damage but also as a fallback to switch places with when things go wrong, they make really great meat shields even in zot! And the confusing touch can trivialize many uniques if you lure them into a mob of them.
The Oklobs are extremely powerful for lots of branch ends like Swamp, Snake, Vaults and even Tomb, but by that time in the game Fedhas isn't giving you that much else with any killing power, so I think it's ok for them to be that strong.

1. Can someone confirm mushrooms health scaling with invocations (even then if that's the only thing that scales it will probably have the same effect as sif muna's channeling - it would not be worth it to level it past 10.

2. That's my point, oklobs are extremely powerful for a lots of branch ends, yet you get them at an incredibly early point of the game which pretty much trivialises early game. We could compare it to Trog's berserk, apart from that berserk drops in usefulness later in the game, and comes with a gigantic payoff (no spells at all).

Crypt Cleanser

Post Sunday, 20th November 2011, 15:16

Maybe a minor effect on the undead could fit in here, but I'm not completely in favour of this.

If we allow vampires to transform into bats, they also should be burned terribly by sunlight. Sunlight also should petrify trolls.
duvessa wrote:Christ, you can't remove anything without tavern complaining about it.

Snake Sneak

Post Sunday, 20th November 2011, 16:02

Roderic wrote:
Maybe a minor effect on the undead could fit in here, but I'm not completely in favour of this.

If we allow vampires to transform into bats, they also should be burned terribly by sunlight. Sunlight also should petrify trolls.

This game blends plenty of fantasy cliches already, with races such as halflings, trolls, ogres and orcs.

Apart from that Fedhas already dislikes undead, manifested both by his praying having affect on ghoul-like monsters and by the fact he doesn't accept undead as his worshippers. I doubt this would hurt the game flavour wise.

I'm not completely in favour of this because this would only add an occasional usefulness buff to the power.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Sunday, 20th November 2011, 16:14

I dunno about petrifying trolls (a lot of stories involving trolls ignore that aspect anyway), but the effect on vampires fits. There's already a precedent in-game anyway; a spriggan druid's sunray spell does more damage to vampires according to the learndb.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Sunday, 20th November 2011, 18:42

In addition, Fedhas prayer damages zombies (necrophages and ghouls also?) but not the incorrupted vampires. Sunlight should be a good option here to specifically damage vampires.

Again, if DCSS devs are against modern fantasy cliches, old ones should prevail, such as sun light damaging trolls. Petrify perhaps it's too much but could be a mild stun effect, or progressively having much damage on them with piety stats.
duvessa wrote:Christ, you can't remove anything without tavern complaining about it.

Halls Hopper

Post Monday, 21st November 2011, 02:46

There's some more feedback on Fedhas in this thread here:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2714

Mines Malingerer

Post Monday, 21st November 2011, 10:13

(while i risk to repeat myself...)

Roderic wrote:In addition, Fedhas prayer damages zombies (necrophages and ghouls also?) but not the incorrupted vampires. Sunlight should be a good option here to specifically damage vampires...

fedhas prayer turns zombies into skeletons (not sure if that's exactly damaging besides making LRD effective on them, which is ofc quite usefull) AND it instantly destroys ghoul-type monsters (which is situationally very handy).

i find sunlight quite OK as it is ATM, with the only problem that the AoE is really too small and the chance to grow plants (does it actually have ANY ?!) beeing way too low.

It is really helpfull to increase your chance to hit, IF you have the time to use it (like the mob is still out of your range - which happens quite often as EE).
Or as a poor mans levitation, turning deep water into passable terrain.

reproduction is also fairly usefull, esp. later when shroom doods simply don't cut it - it's more of a midgame thing making fedhas scale quite nicely: shroom doods (early) -> reproduction (mid) -> oklob (late)
the problem is you take a quite big piety hit trying to use shatter in a area where you used reproduction/oklobs before - which seems quite unintuitive since plants ARE protected from LRD already - which seems like a similar kind of damage source...

spamming oklobs too early also seems like a ... bad idea, since you will NEED them later (where 50% exp isn't a big deal) and fruit/plants aren't as ubiquitious as you'd need them to be since: GROW SUX ASS OMG WTF BBQ (!!! excuse my french but it's quite to the point)

which is the real problem, if you're unlucky with rain/sunlight (taking a gazillion turns at high invo to get a bunch of plants...) then it's simply over :/

spending 8 fruit for a circle of plants is hillariously expensive (even if you aquire fruit) - making the decision to use grow might simply leave you crippled (and thus the god beeing useless) for the rest of the game even if you DID save up all fruit beforehand.

END OF RANDOM RANT (continuation from the other thread...)

Snake Sneak

Post Monday, 21st November 2011, 10:34

dondy wrote:(while i risk to repeat myself...)

Roderic wrote:In addition, Fedhas prayer damages zombies (necrophages and ghouls also?) but not the incorrupted vampires. Sunlight should be a good option here to specifically damage vampires...

fedhas prayer turns zombies into skeletons (not sure if that's exactly damaging besides making LRD effective on them, which is ofc quite usefull) AND it instantly destroys ghoul-type monsters (which is situationally very handy).

i find sunlight quite OK as it is ATM, with the only problem that the AoE is really too small and the chance to grow plants (does it actually have ANY ?!) beeing way too low.

It is really helpfull to increase your chance to hit, IF you have the time to use it (like the mob is still out of your range - which happens quite often as EE).
Or as a poor mans levitation, turning deep water into passable terrain.

reproduction is also fairly usefull, esp. later when shroom doods simply don't cut it - it's more of a midgame thing making fedhas scale quite nicely: shroom doods (early) -> reproduction (mid) -> oklob (late)
the problem is you take a quite big piety hit trying to use shatter in a area where you used reproduction/oklobs before - which seems quite unintuitive since plants ARE protected from LRD already - which seems like a similar kind of damage source...

spamming oklobs too early also seems like a ... bad idea, since you will NEED them later (where 50% exp isn't a big deal) and fruit/plants aren't as ubiquitious as you'd need them to be since: GROW SUX ASS OMG WTF BBQ (!!! excuse my french but it's quite to the point)

which is the real problem, if you're unlucky with rain/sunlight (taking a gazillion turns at high invo to get a bunch of plants...) then it's simply over :/

spending 8 fruit for a circle of plants is hillariously expensive (even if you aquire fruit) - making the decision to use grow might simply leave you crippled (and thus the god beeing useless) for the rest of the game even if you DID save up all fruit beforehand.

END OF RANDOM RANT (continuation from the other thread...)

In trunk you can choose how many plants to grow with growth, and that makes early oklobs stupidly easy to acquire.

Mines Malingerer

Post Monday, 21st November 2011, 11:14

it's still a waste of fruit since early the shroom doods (one is usually enough for blocking) are quite enough to deal with most threats if you properly train Inv (i guess, didn't try the changes yet :s)

and besides, you could've mentioned what version you where arguing about - since i expected 0.9.1, where oklobs DO cost piety and fruit (AFAIK)

Snake Sneak

Post Monday, 21st November 2011, 11:38

I don't recall any changes to oklob cost since Fedhas' creation, I believe it was always piety for mushrooms and fruit for oklobs. And 2 fruit to neutralize any threat dungeon can throw at you is doubtly a high cost, especially since when the hive got eliminated RNG seems to give out more food, and I often end up with about 20 pieces of fruit by lair:1. There is literally no tradeoff to that early on.

Mines Malingerer

Post Monday, 21st November 2011, 14:07

too lazy to try that out (and the knowledge base doesn't reflect the changes yet), too happy with my current VpEn - the change to growth sounds kinda nice though, though they just could've removed it and increase the chances of growing plants through sun-thingy and rain...

oh well, would need to try it out more d:

Snake Sneak

Post Monday, 21st November 2011, 14:24

I'd be extremely sad to lose growth, I think for what it's worth it's got some utility and is a great tool for generating oklobs. It's a good power.

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 21st November 2011, 16:42

I am a bit surprised about the reactions. When we made the god, the gut reaction by many was "oklobs are too expensive" -- fruits are a permanent cost, after all. Having just won, I don't think that oklobs are too cheap. The statement that two fruits "neutralize any threat dungeon can throw at you" is dubious at best, in my experience.

Return to Game Design Discussion