Alternate buff to Hexes

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Halls Hopper

Post Sunday, 6th November 2011, 10:03

Alternate buff to Hexes

I was reading over the Wiki (specifically the Alchemy page) and someone had brought up the objection that poison should be combined with Necromancy rather than rebranded into Alchemy. I think this is a terrible idea, people have understood the concept of poisons for thousands of years and while poisons cause death, they don't match the mythos of death magic any more than throwing someone into a volcano does.

Be that as it may, it did get me to thinking about the mythos that poisons do match up with and that is Hexes. It completely matches flavorwise that if you put a hex on someone that they could be mysteriously poisoned or diseased or take ill, etc. etc. It wouldnt match up with conjurations at all, but if we were to divest the anemic poison magic school and Alchemy for whatever reason was a no go, poisons could reasonably buff Hexes, and Hexes could use buffing. Basically I imagine doing away with the bolt type poison spells entirely, and making Alistair's and Olgreb's Hexes, and perhaps adding a high level Hexes spell of Vulnerability that would pierce immunities and keep alistair's and olgreb's (and the other hexes spells) useful through the end game. Ignite poison would stay transmutation.

I still love the alchemy idea, but it doesn't necessarily need to be shored up by poisons, and I think these changes could really work in Hexes favor.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Monday, 7th November 2011, 13:40

Re: Alternate buff to Hexes

Hexes also could deal with diseases (which are strong hazardous poisons, game-wise )
duvessa wrote:Christ, you can't remove anything without tavern complaining about it.

o_O

Snake Sneak

Post Saturday, 19th November 2011, 12:24

Re: Alternate buff to Hexes

Anyway Poisons and Hexes both fit flavorwise, gradually decline in usefulness as the game progresses and support the stabber playstyle (I think? Needle/stab and stuff right?). Plus then the Hexapoisons school could get some "generic" DOT effects to hit poison resistant enemies.
Also the poisons school always seemed a little strange, like a leftover elemental school that wasn't good enough to join the other 4 elemental schools. I bet poisons gets made fun of by the other 4 elements.
Last edited by o_O on Sunday, 20th November 2011, 21:47, edited 1 time in total.

Return to Game Design Discussion