Curse absorbtion with Ashenzari

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Pandemonium Purger

Post Friday, 18th November 2011, 07:08

Curse absorbtion with Ashenzari

I really like the idea of Ashenzari stopping unintentional curses by mummies, but the message "The curse is absorbed my Ashenzari." always irked when the curse could actually be beneficial. I propose this: reading curse scrolls or being cursed via mummy death gives Ashenzari a 100% successful specific item invocation instead of directly cursing/preventing cursing the item. Two reasons for this. First off, as mentioned at the beginning, it will give purpose to mummy death cursing for Ashenzari worshipers who have a scarcity of curse scrolls. Second, the banking of one scroll at a time as an invocation keeps the precious curse ability from "going up in flames" due to item destruction.

There are two ways this could play out. One way is that Ashenzari would have a generic 'curse any item' invocation upon being cursed in any fashion, meaning a curse jewellery scroll could be ultimately used to curse a scroll or weapon. This would mean that any time a mummy's death causes a curse, Ashenzari would save the curse to be used on any item if there isn't already a curse stored since only one can be banked at a time. Very beneficial for Felids and Octopodes who have no use for two types of curse scrolls and an extreme shortage of curse jewellery scrolls. The other way is that Ashenzari would have up to three invocations: weapons, jewellery and armour. When a mummy's death causes a curse with this option, a random item type of the three would be chosen as long as Ashenzari didn't have that type of curse banked as an invocation already. This would lead to completely useless invocations for slot-restricted races, however there are already useless curse scrolls for those species anyways.

Thoughts?
seattle washington. friends for life. mods hate on me and devs ignore my posts. creater of exoelfs and dc:pt

Abyss Ambulator

Post Friday, 18th November 2011, 07:17

Re: Curse absorbtion with Ashenzari

Becoming fully bound is not supposed to be easy, and death curses are not supposed to be beneficial. The status quo is fine.

Return to Game Design Discussion