Improve the scroll ID minigame

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Mines Malingerer

Post Thursday, 3rd November 2011, 13:59

Improve the scroll ID minigame

I like that crawl has an identification system - the early game experience of thinking in an emergency "is this a scroll of teleport or a scroll of noise" is a good thing. But it shouldn't be tedious.

Some recent changes removed some of the tedium: scrolls of enchant weapon will now identify even when unarmed, removing the annoying need to pick up an edged weapon (pre identification of curse weapon) with an unarmed character to identify them.

A few more changes are needed. First and foremost: amnesia. If you're playing a berserker or non-spellcaster, the scroll will never self-identify. It will sit there, you may wonder if that was a scroll of holy word or fear or something, and eventually you will have to burn a scroll of ID on it or be confident in the process of elimination. For non-spell casters, you should get a message like "you feel a brief sensation of forgetfulness." You could theoretically have some fun with this and have a wide variety of thematic messages for non-spell casters: "You forget your birthday," "you forget why you're in the dungeon," etc.

Similarly, scrolls of fear/and holy word should identify on use. "You feel a wave of dread," "You hear an angelic choir." To properly play the crawl id minigame, you need to read un-id'd scrolls in front of one living enemy and one undead/demonic enemy to ensure either scroll is identified. This is tedious and spoilery. It's especially irksome in the lair, where the chances of finding holy word begin to increase but there are few applicable foes.

With these changes, virtually all scrolls will self-identify, except for remove curse without curses, curse jewelry without jewelry, and mis-targeted enchant armor and recharging. That's a good thing. All potions ID on use. Reading a scroll and having no idea what it was is not fun, it just encourages a bizarre litany of spoilery behavior to beat the ID game.

For this message the author Happylisk has received thanks: 3
Borodin, Caethan, greepish

Lair Larrikin

Post Thursday, 3rd November 2011, 14:05

Re: Improve the scroll ID minigame

Actually, both Holy Word and Fear scrolls will ID against an undead, Fear just won't have an effect. I try to read-ID my scrolls while there's a weak skeleton/zombie nearby, since they tend to show up fairly early & are less of a threat than the monster themselves. I do agree it is annoying when you can't get a scroll identified without using a scroll of ID on it, but then again I just tend to dump those until I either find multiple copies or several ID scrolls.
Last edited by orshelack on Thursday, 3rd November 2011, 14:07, edited 1 time in total.
Xom sounds like he would get a sex change once every couple of weeks just for the hell of it. - ElectricAlbatross

Mines Malingerer

Post Thursday, 3rd November 2011, 14:07

orshelack wrote:Actually, both Holy Word and Fear scrolls will ID against an undead, Fear just won't have an effect. I try to read-ID my scrolls while there's a weak skeleton/zombie nearby, since they tend to show up fairly early & are less of a threat than the monster themselves.

That's good to know, but at the same time the specificity of "seek out a weak skeleton or zombie" underscores how unintuitive the optimal ID play is. It also shows why fear should self-identify - if the skeleton is unaffected and nothing happened, how did you know it was fear and why should it self-ID in that case? Auto-iding fear and its attendant message (wave of dread or whatever) just makes more sense.

Vestibule Violator

Post Tuesday, 15th November 2011, 16:24

Why not have fear cause you to flee in a random direction for X turns if there's no one around? That way it makes it less trivial to identify and introduces some risk, just like immolation or !pois does.

It's not going to cause trouble for someone who's reading their scrolls in the Temple, but isn't that what everyone does ;) ?

Pandemonium Purger

Post Thursday, 17th November 2011, 00:18

rebthor wrote:Why not have fear cause you to flee in a random direction for X turns if there's no one around? That way it makes it less trivial to identify and introduces some risk, just like immolation or !pois does.

Probably because, if no one is around, moving in a fearful pattern has no purpose more than the scroll just identifying and nothing happening. If it causes completely useless neutral acts, why code it in at all?
seattle washington. friends for life. mods hate on me and devs ignore my posts. creater of exoelfs and dc:pt

For this message the author twelwe has received thanks:
rebthor

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 17th November 2011, 01:47

twelwe wrote:
Probably because, if no one is around, moving in a fearful pattern has no purpose more than the scroll just identifying and nothing happening. If it causes completely useless neutral acts, why code it in at all?

That already exists as potion of confusion.

Pandemonium Purger

Post Thursday, 17th November 2011, 03:01

Don't you mean the pressure plate trap with a confusion potion?
seattle washington. friends for life. mods hate on me and devs ignore my posts. creater of exoelfs and dc:pt

Dungeon Master

Post Sunday, 20th November 2011, 22:03

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
commit 3f10d5ab58641f21fe5e56c0ecc3effeb2ef566d
Author: Adam Borowski <kilobyte@angband.pl>
Date: Sun Nov 20 22:19:19 2011 +0100

Always id scrolls of fear as well.

It's a no-brainer to read-id unknown scrolls next to a kobold.

commit edc804f58f1df613284e61d258db7a1e35b339a7
Author: Adam Borowski <kilobyte@angband.pl>
Date: Sun Nov 20 21:41:22 2011 +0100

Always id scrolls of holy word.

For this message the author dpeg has received thanks: 4
dolphin, Grimm, njvack, Stormfox

Abyss Ambulator

Post Monday, 21st November 2011, 16:54

dpeg wrote:It's a no-brainer to read-id unknown scrolls next to a kobold.

Of course, you still want to do it so that you get some payoff for the scroll of immolation besides burning off your eyebrows. ;)
You fall off the wall. You have a feeling of ineptitude.

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 21st November 2011, 16:57

Fox: No, reading unknown scrolls next to non-trivial monsters is not useful. (And if you do this with trivial monsters, then well...)

The difference is this: Fear, Holy Word ==> it is desirable to find a trivial monster. Immolation ==> no payoff.
This is about identification -- each of these scrolls has some value in certain fights, of course.

Mines Malingerer

Post Monday, 21st November 2011, 17:15

I'm very glad to see this change. I think it'll improve the id mini game substantially.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Monday, 21st November 2011, 17:52

I was joking about the immolation scroll. "Well, I just blew myself up, but at least I got two XP out of it because I stubbornly insist on having a weak monster in LOS when read-ID'ing scrolls." I won't quit my day job.
You fall off the wall. You have a feeling of ineptitude.

Vestibule Violator

Post Tuesday, 29th November 2011, 18:33

twelwe wrote:
rebthor wrote:Why not have fear cause you to flee in a random direction for X turns if there's no one around? That way it makes it less trivial to identify and introduces some risk, just like immolation or !pois does.

I meant that it would be equivalent to moving you in one randomly chosen direction for X turns. Unlike confusion where you can just wait it out, here you lose control of your character. It would still not do much in the Temple though.

Return to Game Design Discussion