Kiku & Yred

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Wednesday, 9th November 2011, 14:32

Kiku & Yred

I was just wondering if there was any support for officially changing the names of Kiku & Yred to Kiku & Yred, rather than Kikuwhatever and YredMcSomething.

I guess the idea of long, unpronounceable names is to give some kind of Lovecraftian flavour to the gods of death, (OK, go ahead and tell me that the person who came up with the names had never heard of Lovecraft... :roll: )

I'm not going to argue on grounds of flavour, because I don't really care about flavour in a game that IMO is mostly about gameplay, but I do question the value of having names that are so hard to remember, and which no-one uses in full anyway.

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 9th November 2011, 15:08

Re: Kiku & Yred

Will not happen. Kikubaaqudgha and Yredelmnul are great names. Learn them or abbreviate them, they'll stay.

For this message the author dpeg has received thanks: 2
AtT, ebarrett

Crypt Cleanser

Post Wednesday, 9th November 2011, 17:19

Yredelemnul, Sir. e was missing :ugeek:
duvessa wrote:Christ, you can't remove anything without tavern complaining about it.

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 9th November 2011, 17:35

I apologise. Guess I'm not allowed to carry the black torch for a fortnight.

Yredelemnul, Yredelemnul, Yredelemnul, Yredelemnul, hear your desperate servant! Will you accept the sacrifice of another species?

Seriously, I found Yredelemnul much easier to remember than Kikubaaqudgha. The latter I only learn recently, using the following trick: everything is fine up to the "qu". After that, all consonants appear in alphabetical order: "d", "g", "h"! :)

Snake Sneak

Post Wednesday, 9th November 2011, 17:54

dpeg wrote:I apologise. Guess I'm not allowed to carry the black torch for a fortnight.

Yredelemnul, Yredelemnul, Yredelemnul, Yredelemnul, hear your desperate servant! Will you accept the sacrifice of another species?

Seriously, I found Yredelemnul much easier to remember than Kikubaaqudgha. The latter I only learn recently, using the following trick: everything is fine up to the "qu". After that, all consonants appear in alphabetical order: "d", "g", "h"! :)

I was a little horrified to realize how I was carelessly pronouncing this. I said it out loud and it sounded something like "Kikabu". I guess I really didn't even try to sound it out.

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 9th November 2011, 19:54

I tend to say "kee koo baa kood guh" and I think it's the most fun-to-pronounce crawl god.

Slime Squisher

Post Thursday, 10th November 2011, 10:55

I like the "feel" of these names, which presumably came from some ancient demon tongue whose speakers might not have had the same set of vocal chords or intellectual limits as mere humans. :evil:

Crypt Cleanser

Post Thursday, 10th November 2011, 13:55

dassem wrote:I like the "feel" of these names, which presumably came from some ancient demon tongue whose speakers might not have had the same set of vocal chords or intellectual limits as mere humans. :evil:

Cthulhu?

Slime Squisher

Post Thursday, 10th November 2011, 15:14

Yes, that's exactly what I was thinking. :)

Return to Game Design Discussion