Throwing Gifts

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 31st October 2011, 03:43

Throwing Gifts

I need to double-check something.

I am playing under Trog (and alternately Okawaru) and want to know what the throwing gifts are.

I figure they are darts, but sometimes javelins, rocks and large rocks.

Since throwing them does not require skill in the appropriate weapon (correct?), I would expect spears, axes and daggers (all potentially with returning brand) to be gifted as well.

This goes along with my prior thread post regarding my kobold able to throw spears but not javelins. Is there a standard?
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 31st October 2011, 03:58

Re: Throwing Gifts

Used to be just darts and also needles if you had a blowgun. Now, though, you can get javelins and large rocks if your character can use them. Your kobold would still just get darts and needles, so don't train throwing with a kobold if you're following Trog or Okawaru. They'll want a sling instead.

No hand axes, daggers, spears, or clubs as ammo gifts, ever, although you can get those as normal weapon gifts if you're unlucky.

Halls Hopper

Post Monday, 31st October 2011, 04:58

Unless it was changed recently, I don't think Trog or Okawaru give giant rocks.

EDIT: I should read other posts more closely.
Just a well-spoken spambot.

Barkeep

Post Wednesday, 2nd November 2011, 13:25

dtsund wrote:Unless it was changed recently, I don't think Trog or Okawaru give giant rocks.

The Large Rock gifts wind up being kinda useless, as you start meeting Cyclopses quite early. The javelin gifts are fantastic, though -- my recent TrBe wound up with big stacks of javelins of returning and penetration.

Of course, almost everyone can throw those back...
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 2nd November 2011, 14:41

njvack wrote:
dtsund wrote:Unless it was changed recently, I don't think Trog or Okawaru give giant rocks.

The Large Rock gifts wind up being kinda useless, as you start meeting Cyclopses quite early. The javelin gifts are fantastic, though -- my recent TrBe wound up with big stacks of javelins of returning and penetration.

Of course, almost everyone can throw those back...

Except for penetration, which doesn't land on the target's square if you do it right. :)
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Return to Game Design Discussion