Proposal: Amulet of Clarity changes

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 27th October 2011, 12:29

Proposal: Amulet of Clarity changes

Background: I lost a Mummy of Xom today to Xom confusion. I descended stairs to evade Curse Skull summons, became confused and my HP was being chipped away by a flaming corpse. My only option was to attempt to save myself with a distortion unwield, which killed me, or to randomly zap a healing wand which would have probably missed. I didn't die with the usual feeling of "well, next time I'll try not to do <whatever lead to my death>" but rather "Well, that sucked" because there was literally nothing I could have done to anticipate that and do anything about it.
I think it's good that Xom confusion and stat mali bypass clarity and sustain abilities respectively. However, I would like to see something changed changed. Specifically:

Make wearing an amulet of clarity while confused cure confusion at the cost of yellow glow.

Basically an amulet of clarity acts towards confusion like Stasis does for Berserk/Haste/Slow/Teleport/Paralysis, which also adds consistency to the amulets which counteract magical effects.
I don't think this would actually unbalance much or even be a major change; it just takes out an annoying form of unavoidable death which doesn't make the game more interesting or harder in a way that challenges the player, but instead is a Sword of Damocles hanging over your head without you being able to do anything about it. You're just playing a relatively normal game of Crawl facing challenges every mummy does, and then suddenly you become confused and are in a situation where even the most trivial, unavoidable stuff (for instance confronting an Ogre Mage with high MR) can kill you without you being able to do anything about it. I've often faced near-death situations like this and now it was fatal.
It also isn't a Clarity buff for basically anything else other than Mu (because in nearly any situation <insert character here> would prefer a potion of healing. I wouldn't say that a tiny buff would make Mu overpowered either. :P

If yellow glow is too little (especially since mainly Mummies would use this) I'd support a different negative effect, maybe Slowness or something that matches the flavour.

EDIT: Alternatively make /healing accurately zappable at self during confusion, please. If I can uncork a potion and lead it to my mouth and successfully swallow, I can aim a stick at myself and press a button(?) just as well.

Barkeep

Post Thursday, 27th October 2011, 17:04

Re: Proposal: Amulet of Clarity changes

minmay wrote:Aiming a wand at yourself while confused actually *never* hits you. This is pretty unintuitive.

:shock:

I'd always carried around a highly-charged /Tele as a mummy just in case I got confused, thinking "well, I can just spam the wand and I'll hopefully hit myself"

Do you mean it's impossible to zap yourself when confused, or that the only way you can do it is to try to zap something else? The former would be understandable, though it'd make me sad; the latter sounds like a bug...
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 27th October 2011, 17:26

It makes no sense it any case. You're capable of triggering the wand while confused, but not to point it in the right direction... pointing a stick at myself is easier than uncorking a bottle and drinking it quickly without spilling the lot.

Vestibule Violator

Post Thursday, 27th October 2011, 22:33

This also has implications for necromutation + cboe/Wucad Mu.

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 27th October 2011, 23:35

It's entirely possible (just rather unlikely).

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 28th October 2011, 09:19

Galefury wrote:This also has implications for necromutation + cboe/Wucad Mu.

Can this currently be prevented by "clarity in the first place?

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 28th October 2011, 11:01

Yup, Xom's the only cheater who bypasses clarity now I think (and even then, only when he confuses you directly instead of indirectly via a miscast effect).

Return to Game Design Discussion