If you can throw a Spear, why can't you throw a Javelin?

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 30th October 2011, 06:49

If you can throw a Spear, why can't you throw a Javelin?

Playing Trunk Tiles: 0.10-a0-1554

I have a kobold.

He carries a ton of spears; take up lots of inventory.

He also carries javelins.

He can throw his spears. In fact, they auto-set for throwing.

The javelins? I have to click on them or F declare them to throw them. Probably awkwardly.

I guess it's that I'm playing a small kobold that I can't throw javelins, but I can throw spears just fine!

But wouldn't a javelin be... smaller and easier to throw a conceptually-larger and non-stacking spear?

This seems inconsistent.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

For this message the author XuaXua has received thanks:
pratamawirya

Abyss Ambulator

Post Monday, 31st October 2011, 13:07

Re: If you can throw a Spear, why can't you throw a Javelin?

What is your fire_order set to in your config file?
You fall off the wall. You have a feeling of ineptitude.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 31st October 2011, 13:21

Yeah, it seems like axes, spears, and clubs would be too large for small species to throw. Maybe even daggers, depending on how long we thing daggers are.

But if small races can't throw trash weapons, then the nice throwing aptitudes on kobolds and halflings are only good for blowguns, since darts are so piddly.

Do we need throwing knives and tomahawks that are smaller than axes and daggers? It seems silly and unwieldy to add more items just for throwing that aren't differentiated well from the current offerings. Probably we ought to just accept that axes and daggers are small enough for these guys to throw.

Spears and clubs? I'm not so sure.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 31st October 2011, 15:40

jejorda2 wrote:Do we need throwing knives and tomahawks that are smaller than axes and daggers?

Only if they stack like javelins.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 31st October 2011, 19:03

minmay wrote:Trash weapons are nearly as bad as darts for throwing (they're called trash weapons for a reason); the throwing aptitudes are already useless outside of needles.

Master list of trash weapons, please.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 1st November 2011, 00:40

XuaXua wrote:Master list of trash weapons, please.

Trash throwing weapons include every throw-able weapon except large rocks, javelins, needles, and darts of dispersal. Maybe darts of poison, if you squint.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 1st November 2011, 15:05

KoboldLord wrote:
XuaXua wrote:Master list of trash weapons, please.

Trash throwing weapons include every throw-able weapon except large rocks, javelins, needles, and darts of dispersal. Maybe darts of poison, if you squint.

Why would you consider throwing hand axes and spears as trash?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 1st November 2011, 18:37

XuaXua wrote:Why would you consider throwing hand axes and spears as trash?

Because base damage of 7 sucks, and if you throw them you don't even get the benefit of low weapon delay that normally partially compensates for the poor damage? They also don't get the benefit of any brand they have, so even if you luck out with a pain or electric spear you have to wield it to get the benefit. And then they don't stack, so they hog your entire inventory and require extra scrolls to enchant if you ever want to improve them.

The difference between a thrown hand axe and a thrown steel javelin is greater than the difference between a wielded hand axe and a wielded broad axe, except you don't get extra accuracy or delay penalties for the javelin at low throwing skill.

You'll still use trash if nothing else is available, because if you're starting a fighter you don't really have a choice, but you'll want to move up to something more useful as soon as you get the chance.

Return to Game Design Discussion