New armour tile proposal/feedback

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 21st October 2011, 21:17

New armour tile proposal/feedback

I just kind of went ahead and uploaded this and I'm not sure if I should have asked anyone first. I thought I'd make a thread to see if the proposal would be welcome, or if it would be welcome with some tweaks?

For this message the author roctavian has received thanks:
MyOtheHedgeFox

Crypt Cleanser

Post Friday, 21st October 2011, 22:50

Re: New armour tile proposal/feedback

I agree. Not so sure about the ring mail ones, but other than that they're absolutely great.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 22nd October 2011, 05:08

Diamond stuff. Curio, the gauntlet has been thrown down.

For this message the author Grimm has received thanks:
MyOtheHedgeFox

Blades Runner

Post Saturday, 22nd October 2011, 05:23

eh. Whatever. My recent tile commits are pending for a long time already. Including basic crystal plate mail. Maybe i'm just not good enough for devs(so much arguing every time i upload something).
Anyway, good tiles man! I hope they will be used. But it would be pity for me, for my tile of cpm to be replaced. So much wasted effort :(

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 22nd October 2011, 06:11

Curio wrote: So much wasted effort :(

I don't see it as wasted. I've seen multiple tiles represent the same thing; there are currently 2 crystal plate mails. IMHO, I think having a variety of tile styles keeps things fresh.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Slime Squisher

Post Saturday, 22nd October 2011, 11:40

I like the new tiles. Good job roctavian.
Human kind cannot bear very much reality.
TSE

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 24th October 2011, 21:01

Thanks for the nice words, everybody! I've uploaded more tiles but I'll refrain from posting them here, from now on, as I now know there's plenty of feedback on Mantis.

I have a few questions, however -- the bones-floor bones-wall tileset, the one that is used in the Crypt, is common throughout the entire game. I want to add some tiles to it for variation, ones in a similar vein as the gratings/torches/ripped banners for the standard dungeon tileset. If I contributed such tiles, would t be hard to implement them? What about unique portal tiles for ziggurats/flagged portals/ossuaries? If I made custom entry staircase tiles for each branch, could those be used easily?

For this message the author roctavian has received thanks:
MyOtheHedgeFox

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 24th October 2011, 21:25

roctavian wrote:I have a few questions, however -- the bones-floor bones-wall tileset, the one that is used in the Crypt, is common throughout the entire game. I want to add some tiles to it for variation, ones in a similar vein as the gratings/torches/ripped banners for the standard dungeon tileset. If I contributed such tiles, would t be hard to implement them? What about unique portal tiles for ziggurats/flagged portals/ossuaries? If I made custom entry staircase tiles for each branch, could those be used easily?

In trunk, Crypt tiles have been replaced with a completely new set by Ontoclasm. Other than that, they're used in Tar, and I'm not sure if anywhere else? I agree it's a lacking tile set, and could perhaps be redone for Tar (it's very griddy!)

Themed staircases could be really good, they should be easy to add because you can override feature tiles on a whole level (in Lua). I'm particularly thinking about branches like Shoals, where staircases seem completely inappropriate.

The new monster tiles look great, by the way. Regarding the ones you added black outlines to - do you realise that the tiles building can automatically add black outlines, you don't actually need them on the original graphic? Of course, there's no harm having them.

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 25th October 2011, 02:52

Funny, I didn't realize that! Many of those tiles had chopped-off body parts as well, so at least I feel I got something useful done. At least they don't take long.

Also, I'm a terrible Crawl player, so I haven't to the Crypt since I started playing trunk (only about a month or so)! I also only recently saw the new Labyrith texture. I think both are awesome!

I was thinking of making the themed stairways connected to respective runes when appropriate, also. "You see here a silver staircase to the Vaults" or "You see here a barnacled stairway to the Shoals," and make up some others like "razor-lined stairs into the Hall of Blades" or "a hastily-dug tunnel to the Orcish Mines." Anybody have more ideas for these?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 25th October 2011, 03:12

I'd disrecommend "razor-lined" as it sounds like it could hurt the player. The Orc one should be "roughly hewn" or something like that.

Return to Game Design Discussion