Rods suggestion

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Snake Sneak

Post Tuesday, 11th October 2011, 10:07

Rods suggestion

I've always seen rods as the tools of the trade of artificers, the problem is that the spells that rely least on spell power are also the rods most powerful abilities, making evocation nothing but a nice bonus. You can still cast deflect missiles, abjuration (if it remains as it was) and freezing cloud with 0 evocations.

A second problem is that equipping and uneuipping rods is in general a nuisance unless you rely on macros, I've never really seen a reason for this requirement, why not let players evoke rods as they do wands.

My suggestion: Take the format of god abilities when using rods.
Each ability has a chance to work depending on your evocations, so higher level spells such as deflect missiles and freezing cloud would require high evocations to be used reliably, instead of having to equip rods you can use them through the V screen.

They would become reusable wands with unique spells that come at a cost. As it stands now an early rod with freezing cloud or deflect missiles
makes the early game terribly easy, but it loses it's utility as the game goes on because of the cost of spending two turns to equip and unequip the rod, after this reform, you would only be able to use it at the late game but it would remain useful throughout the game as long as you have the skills needed to use them.

A character could pump evocations to very high evels to use the rods stronger abilities earlier but it would come at a cost to their survivability as they could have pumped defensive skills instead.

As rods are usually only found later in the game, if you don't prepare yourself in advance by pumping evocations, you would need to wait quite a long time to get evocations to a high enough level to use the stronger spells. Giving characters a choice of pumping early for a potential reward later in the game thus making the early game harder or waiting and risking finding a rod and not having the skill to use it for a while.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 11th October 2011, 10:51

Re: Rods suggestion

I've certainly had rods fail to cast because my evocations was too low.

And Abjuration, in particular, is less useful at low spell power. If it doesn't get rid of the foe in one or two casts, I surely would have been better off using those turns to kill the for or get away.

It might be nice if the switching to a rod part were automated, but the fact that I can't use a rod along with a cursed weapon or the resistances from a randart weapon make it kind of interesting.

Eringya's Employee

Post Wednesday, 12th October 2011, 11:33

Re: Rods suggestion

jejorda2 wrote:The fact that I can't use a rod along with a cursed weapon or the resistances from a randart weapon make it kind of interesting.

Your cursed +4, +5 short sword of electrocution prevents you from switching to your +9 Rod of Destruction {inacc, fire, cold}!
You kindly ask the Shadow Dragon to wait for a while so you can grab it with your mouth from your backpack.
The Shadow Dragon is confused.
You start trying to get your backpack off your back without using your hands. (x10)
The Shadow Dragon is no longer confused. The Shadow Dragon is annoyed.
You fumble while trying to get your backpack off your back without using your hands.
The Shadow Dragon gets pissed. The Shadow Dragon goes berserk!
The Shadow Dragon claws you! (x4)
The Shadow Dragon tail-slaps you (x2)!
The Shadow Dragon breathes a bolt of negative energy at you! You feel drained!
*** CRITICAL HEALTH... NO, WAIT, YOU'RE DEAD. ***

:roll:
MuCK;
  Code:
612 | D:1      | Xom revived you
614 | D:1      | Xom revived you
614 | D:1      | Slain by a gnoll

Return to Game Design Discussion