Slide and Drift!!

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Temple Termagant

Post Sunday, 9th October 2011, 00:10

Slide and Drift!!

Hey, i've been thinking about the beginning game for all my dead guys (and especially my melee dead guys!), and it seems the issue is usually trouble with closing distance or making distance. Well obviously i guess, but really!

Anyway, my suggestion to help out with this is that all char could start with Slide, an ability that would allow the character to move 2 squares in 1 turn. At fighting level 5 it would allow moving 3 squares, fighting 9 it would allow moving 4 squares, fighting 15 move 4 squares drift 2 squares, fighting 21 move 5 squares drift 2 squares, fighting 27 move 5 squares drift 3 squares. Drifting would let the player choose a second point not closest than the first, and then the movement would happen by a bezier line function between the first and third point using the second as control. And of course, the path could be visible for the player.

The fancy cool part would be that if there are enemies in the squares the character will move through, the character will make a melee attack against it, and if it kills it in 1 hit the character would continue on its path else it would stay blocked by the monster. The fancy uncool part would be getting exhaustion for (squares moved)*10 turns and not being able to Slide while exhausted.

I think that would solve everything forever! Really!! And also make melee so much more fun!!!
Last edited by qululu123 on Sunday, 9th October 2011, 00:30, edited 1 time in total.

Eringya's Employee

Post Sunday, 9th October 2011, 00:29

Re: Slide and Drift!!

I don't know how balanced this could ever be, but I kinda like the idea of getting abilities (active &/or passive) when certain skills reach certain levels. I guess it's not in the spirit of DC:SS to do things this way, though and I respect that. I love the game anyway. :)
MuCK;
  Code:
612 | D:1      | Xom revived you
614 | D:1      | Xom revived you
614 | D:1      | Slain by a gnoll

Tomb Titivator

Post Sunday, 9th October 2011, 00:46

There is some talk of specials being implemented. Too busy atm to track it down on the wiki, but it has been mentioned in a few other places as well, might be worth a look for you guys.
KoboldLord wrote:I'm also morbidly curious now as to how Shatter is abusable for 'stealth tricks'. It's about as stealthy as the Kool-Aid Man smashing through the walls and running through the room

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Sunday, 9th October 2011, 02:59

Sliding might work as an evocable item on some pairs of boots, or maybe even a spell. But giving every player the constant ability to do what is essentially a short-ranged blink that lets you take out multiple monsters in one turn is probably mega broken. (And anything that involves bezier curves is probably going to be a pain to use.) If you're having trouble with distance in the early game as a melee fighter, picking up some darts or clubs might be a better solution.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Sunday, 9th October 2011, 16:25

Tired of pushing n-imes the directional keys. Melee features are required to make combat more interesting and variate, comparable to spell combat. for instance techniques as: slide, kick, throw away, jump, swap... whatever else.

This can be implemented as : a) branded wear (boots, braces, gloves, robes), b) evocable abilities for high levels of unarmed combat or c) granted by a god of martial arts.
duvessa wrote:Christ, you can't remove anything without tavern complaining about it.

For this message the author Roderic has received thanks:
TehDruid

Return to Game Design Discussion