Bracers and non-Glove Wearing Races

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Tomb Titivator

Post Friday, 7th October 2011, 11:54

Bracers and non-Glove Wearing Races

I'm curious about bracers. I never really thought about it until my TrMo came across some bracers of Archery in a store. I can understand why some races can't wear gloves - I can't fit my hands into a pair of my wife's gloves, but bracers are simply wrapped around the wrist usually with a lacing to deal with fitment. It would stand to reason from a realism perspective that races like Trolls should be able to wear bracers even if they can't wear gloves. I'm not sure if it would cause a huge gameplay problem, but considering that bracers of archery are the only bracers in the game and they have no resistances and max 3 AC I don't think it would be a major issue.
KoboldLord wrote:I'm also morbidly curious now as to how Shatter is abusable for 'stealth tricks'. It's about as stealthy as the Kool-Aid Man smashing through the walls and running through the room

Tomb Titivator

Post Friday, 7th October 2011, 13:58

Re: Bracers and non-Glove Wearing Races

What exactly is wrong with 11 slots? Especially considering that bracers are a very specific piece of gear as far as bonuses/penalties go. Its not like Octopodes and Cloaks where they can get extra resists. All it really is at most 3AC and a ranged slaying bonus at the cost of melee slaying bonus. It still isn't a no brainer to throw on the bracers if you find them.
KoboldLord wrote:I'm also morbidly curious now as to how Shatter is abusable for 'stealth tricks'. It's about as stealthy as the Kool-Aid Man smashing through the walls and running through the room

Tomb Titivator

Post Friday, 7th October 2011, 16:23

The gameplay benefit is there for folks going the ranged attack route, but it is in no way overpowered... And the glove slot is already there so nothing is being added.

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 7th October 2011, 19:36

Rather than make a new slot, couldn't bracers be used to diversify the gloves slot? i.e. it would be another step along the line, like helmets->caps. I figure that since there's three steps in each body-slot affecting mutation, they should remove armor options in three steps as well. Thus it could go helmets->wizard hats->caps and gauntlets->gloves->bracers, with levels 1, 2, and 3 of each mutation preventing use.

Halls Hopper

Post Friday, 7th October 2011, 22:25

minmay wrote:It doesn't really make sense flavour-wise for them to prevent you from wearing gloves, either. But having 11 slots doesn't sound good to me.

Bracers and gloves being different, and also having 11 slots, are things both in ADOM, hehe.

Return to Game Design Discussion