Troll Leather Armor drops

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 4th October 2011, 16:39

Troll Leather Armor drops

I am curious; we have troll leather armor which is created from the troll skin that drops from a standard troll (or Snorg or Purgy :) ), and this can be enchanted to create a basic troll leather armor, which regenerates.

Dragon skins can be enchanted a myriad of ways to create dragon armor.

Why aren't there similar options for rock troll, iron troll, or deep troll skins to drop for enchantment?
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Wednesday, 5th October 2011, 01:06

Re: Troll Leather Armor drops

Perhaps this has been suggested before, but what do people think about having Snorg or Purgy's hides differentiated in some way compared to regular trolls (beyond the name in the inscription)? Even outside of trolls, making clothing out of the hides of slain foes is awesome and it would be interesting if that mechanic was expanded a bit further.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 5th October 2011, 02:02

When you make a handbag out of Purgy there should be an exclusive logo on it, tripling the gold value of the item.

Spider Stomper

Post Wednesday, 5th October 2011, 02:07

Make them enchantable into randart designer troll leather armors? Might be a bit spoilerish, but it could be put into their descriptions or something.
You see here a dire elephant corpse.
You start butchering the dire elephant corpse with your claws.
You continue butchering the corpse.
You are engulfed in roaring flames. You stop butchering the corpse.
You die...

For this message the author Un67 has received thanks:
pratamawirya

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 5th October 2011, 05:40

Ditto for Xtahua the dragon.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 5th October 2011, 05:43

+2 Snorg Troll Leather Armour {+Rage}

It's a fixedart, so it's immune to corrosion. On the other hand, you can't enchant it as much as any normal troll leather armour :)

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 5th October 2011, 11:24

With the built-in chance of not getting a corpse or a hide from the corpse, the Snorg artefact wouldn't be any more common than Gastronok's hat of pondering. (I think that's a good thing.)

I'd like to see deep troll or rock troll armour, too. Just make it like a splint mail with regeneration so regen is commonly around on something heavier than troll leather. I wouldn't add unbreathing or resistances. Then rock troll leather vs. plate mail is an interesting choice, though something like a plate mail of fire resistance would beat it.

For this message the author jejorda2 has received thanks:
pratamawirya

Halls Hopper

Post Saturday, 8th October 2011, 10:14

Personally, I think enchantable iron troll skins (which act like platemail with +regen when enchanted) are a great idea. Iron trolls are significantly rarer than regular trolls (I think), which is fine, because regen has more synergy with a durable character than with a squishy one.

Rock troll armour I don't really care about, but it should be weaker than platemail.

Deep troll armour should be similar in AC to regular troll leather, because there's no indication that deep trolls have particularly tough hides. Therefore I don't really see a need for it. Not every troll needs enchantable hides, just as not every dragon does.

Dungeon Master

Post Saturday, 8th October 2011, 11:44

To the people supporting this idea, have a look at item stats and trolls' AC, then come back with a full proposal with all the numbers for each troll hide/armour type.
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Saturday, 8th October 2011, 12:00

Here's my proposal.

+2 Snorg Leather Armour {Regen, +Rage}
base AC: 4
EV penalty: -1
This is an artefact.

Troll Rock Armour {Regen}
base AC: 6
EV penalty: -2

Troll Iron Armour {Regen}
base AC: 8
EV penalty: -3

EDIT: changed names.
Last edited by pratamawirya on Saturday, 8th October 2011, 12:16, edited 1 time in total.

For this message the author pratamawirya has received thanks:
dassem

Halls Hopper

Post Saturday, 8th October 2011, 12:07

Personally, rather than "iron troll leather armour", I would prefer the name "troll iron armour" or "troll plate mail". Iron trolls are by all accounts literally plated with iron.

For this message the author Danei has received thanks:
pratamawirya

Spider Stomper

Post Saturday, 8th October 2011, 16:53

We could also use the following:

-1 Purgy Leather Armour {Regen, -2 STR, +2 DEX, +3 EV}
base AC: 4
EV penalty: -1
This is an artefact.
You die...

Abyss Ambulator

Post Saturday, 8th October 2011, 17:11

Troll Rock Armour and Troll Iron Armour are both really awkward-sounding names; I think it might be better to just call them Rock Troll Armour and Iron Troll Armour (this would also fit better with the dragon hide armours).

Halls Hopper

Post Saturday, 8th October 2011, 17:44

Blade wrote:Troll Rock Armour and Troll Iron Armour are both really awkward-sounding names; I think it might be better to just call them Rock Troll Armour and Iron Troll Armour (this would also fit better with the dragon hide armours).

I agree about troll rock armour, but I disagree about troll iron armour. Whereas troll leather armour is armour made out of troll leather, which in turn is made out of the hide of a troll, troll iron armour is made out of troll iron, which comes from the hide of an iron troll.

Spider Stomper

Post Saturday, 8th October 2011, 18:20

^ Wouldn't it be better to keep the names consistent instead?
You die...

Halls Hopper

Post Saturday, 8th October 2011, 18:26

Un67 wrote:^ Wouldn't it be better to keep the names consistent instead?

Is that not what I'm suggesting? I want to keep troll leather armour consistent with troll iron armour. I agree that troll rock armour sounds a little silly, but I don't really think rock trolls should leave armour-producing hides in the first place.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 8th October 2011, 18:40

It's not iron armor.

It's leather armor made from a troll. Hence Troll leather armor.
It's leather armor made from an iron troll. Hence Iron Troll leather armor.
It's leather armor made from a rock troll. Hence Rock Troll leather armor.
It's leather armor made from a deep troll. Hence Deep Troll leather armor.

For this message the author XuaXua has received thanks:
ElectricAlbatross

Dungeon Master

Post Saturday, 8th October 2011, 18:47

I'm not sure there's really a need for lots of extra base types of armour for no particularly good reason. Troll leather is an interesting and unique special type of armour, adding lots of variations on it with only minor differences would just dilute it (the dragon armours are all much more differentiated than these, and if anything there's too many types of dragon armour already).
Last edited by Kate on Saturday, 8th October 2011, 18:49, edited 2 times in total.

Halls Hopper

Post Saturday, 8th October 2011, 18:48

How do you get leather from the hide of a troll that is literally plated with literal iron? It's not like it's a troll with really hard skin, figuratively being called an iron troll. It has actual iron. The iron is described as rusty, but maybe the enchantment takes care of that.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 9th October 2011, 15:12

Danei wrote:

How do you get leather from the hide of a troll that is literally plated with literal iron? It's not like it's a troll with really hard skin, figuratively being called an iron troll. It has actual iron. The iron is described as rusty, but maybe the enchantment takes care of that.

Rock Troll Scale Mail
Iron Troll Scale Mail
Deep Troll Leather Armor

Halls Hopper

Post Sunday, 9th October 2011, 15:37

XuaXua wrote:
Danei wrote:

Rock Troll Scale Mail
Iron Troll Scale Mail
Deep Troll Leather Armor

That is acceptable.

Slime Squisher

Post Tuesday, 11th October 2011, 23:03

minmay wrote:I imagine the reason is similar to why there aren't similar options for shadow dragons, iron dragons, or quicksilver dragons.

Why not Shadow Dragon Armour, 5 AC -1EV {Stlth} or {Inv}, and give Shadow Dragons themselves an appropriately stabby stealthy ability, like perfect invisibility until radius ~2 with an accompanying powerful short range attack? (I think Draining would fit better on Bone Dragons, anyway)

Why not Iron Dragon Armour, 13 AC -4 EV {Slow}?

Why not Quicksilver Dragon Armour, 4 AC 0 EV {MR} or 6 AC -2 EV {MR, Antimagic = Less Mana or Lower Spellpower or both}
Human kind cannot bear very much reality.
TSE

For this message the author dolphin has received thanks:
pratamawirya

Vestibule Violator

Post Wednesday, 12th October 2011, 08:28

"Why not?" is the wrong question to ask in game design. Instead you should be answering "Why?". How would this make gameplay more interesting? How would it make crawl more accessible? Are there any problems this would fix?

For this message the author Galefury has received thanks: 3
Grimm, njvack, Yet Another Stupid Noob

Crypt Cleanser

Post Wednesday, 12th October 2011, 18:48

Galefury wrote:"Why not?" is the wrong question to ask in game design. Instead you should be answering "Why?". How would this make gameplay more interesting? How would it make crawl more accessible? Are there any problems this would fix?

For adding items which take advantage of already existing features, introduce no problems, and are variants of already existing features (i.e. dragon armours of other types already exist), "why not?" is a valid question. Any other time I might agree with you though.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 13th October 2011, 17:45

Not "Why not", but rather, "Were alternate Troll armors considered and if not, what was the reasoning?"

Sort of reflecting back to the initial question in the original post that I made in this thread.

Lair Larrikin

Post Saturday, 15th October 2011, 13:46

Iron Troll Armour is imo the only one that brings something new to the table, i.e. regeneration on heavy armour. It could be an interesting choice - regen at the cost of more food consumption. Since you rely on permafood in the post-endgame, this is definitely not a no-brainer. AC 8 EV -3 sounds good.
Rock troll armour is unnecessary.
For the dragons, I think with the latest addition of Pearl Dragon Armour's +RN there's a pretty good setup.

Lair Larrikin

Post Saturday, 15th October 2011, 17:28

There was some pre-Tavern discussion of the additional dragon armours.

Quicksilver was something like AC +6, EV -0, resist slowing (RSlow was still in the game then), which seems about on par with pearl armour these days for endgame quality light armour. These days a fun brainstorm might be AC +?, EV -0, permanent scroll of vulnerability effect. (Go hex-mage.)

Shadow could be rN+++ with a meaningful drawback, but the flavorful drawbacks (healing magic doesn't work on you?) seem like things you'd find a quiet corner to circumvent.

Flavor-wise, iron has trouble being anything but a CPM clone. Ideas that I'm only half fond of would make it better than CPM armour wise, but with a drawback: AC +14, EV-6, ponderous, stasis.

Lair Larrikin

Post Saturday, 15th October 2011, 17:29

Rock troll: give both the monster and the armour corrosion resistance?

Return to Game Design Discussion