Class: Alchemist & Scribe

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Snake Sneak

Post Tuesday, 4th October 2011, 06:58

Class: Alchemist & Scribe

I was thinking it might be interesting to have some more item-themed classes to go along with Artificier.

An Alchemist could have access to Fulsome Distillation, Evaporate, and Cure/Resist Poison (it's implied that they have a knowledge of venoms). As a class-unique ability they could 'sip' potions and identify them without having to consume them, but would still have to find them first. Starter set includes a robe, gloves, and a potion of healing.

A Scribe would specialize in manipulation of spellbooks and scrolls. Some unique traits could include the ability to identify scrolls on sight (without ever needing to test or possess them), copy scrolls (with a fixed chance of failure influenced by the type of scroll and any levels of the Blurry Sight mutation), and write a spell from a spellbook onto a scroll for instant casting later, at the cost of the spellbook. Scrolls made in this way would have a boosted chance of success, with failure resulting in either a miscast effect or the effect of a scroll of random uselessness. A starter set could include robe, scroll of identify, and a spellbook with some low level spells (choice of elemental level 1, Repel Missiles, Condensation Shield, Dig, low level utility and defensive spells without occupying any other class' niche).

Spider Stomper

Post Tuesday, 4th October 2011, 07:12

Re: Class: Alchemist & Scribe

Note that some devs are already considering expanding the current Poison Magic school into a more general Alchemy school. If that happens, the Venom Mage class will turn into an Alchemist, which will start with FD/Evap.

However…

...As a class-unique ability they could 'sip' potions and identify them without having to consume them...

...Some unique traits could include the ability to identify scrolls on sight (without ever needing to test or possess them), copy scrolls (with a fixed chance of failure influenced by the type of scroll and any levels of the Blurry Sight mutation), and write a spell from a spellbook onto a scroll for instant casting later, at the cost of the spellbook...

Class-specific abilities are not a Crawl thing. Note that in Crawl the term is "backgrounds" instead of "classes." This is an important distinction: backgrounds determine nothing more than the stats, skills, and equipment that you enter the dungeon with. They're not supposed to differentiate characters through the course of an entire game.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 4th October 2011, 13:33

It would be interesting to see more backgrounds built around item types, like the Artificer, but it's kind of hard to design one because, unlike the Artificer's wands, there's no skill associated with drinking potions or reading scrolls. The background would pretty much have to be defined almost entirely by its inventory, which would be used up quickly. I had an idea for a Scribe a while ago, that starts with some utility scrolls like magic mapping and blink, starts with other scrolls pre-identified, and maybe has a cloak of preservation to protect the precious scrolls. (And one level of spellcasting.) But there's really not much to go on from there.

Snake Sneak

Post Tuesday, 4th October 2011, 14:38

You're right, I missed the point about backgrounds rather than classes. The idea for a Scribe could work if a skill like Inscription was created (although technically that would make them inscriptionists?).

Maybe we could add a Word Mage background, wielding the might of completed crosswords! Diction Beam: 3d5 unblockable, only works on sentient beings. (that was a joke)

Crypt Cleanser

Post Tuesday, 4th October 2011, 21:43

+ 1 for the scribe, erudite, librarian, scrollworm... whatever

To me, the stalker background is really similar to an alchemist because it deals with potions and some manipulation of the environment.

A related proposal:

My concern is that a third background with the fulsome distillation + evaporate spelling combo would be too much. If that thing is allowed, I would rather propose to quit the fulsome distillation from the transmuter background and keep only the evaporate thing in case you want to use some potion of your inventory, but not allowing the class to crreate them from the beginning. I would replace FD by a transformative low level spell such as transform weapon (changes the enemy weapon to a worse one) or butterfly metamorphose (changes the enemy for a few turns, allowing you to escape from)-
duvessa wrote:Christ, you can't remove anything without tavern complaining about it.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Tuesday, 4th October 2011, 21:50

The idea for a Scribe could work if a skill like Inscription was created (although technically that would make them inscriptionists?).

Another spur of the moment:

Inscribe or engrave too. In high levels it could work on stones to engrave text and create some sort of magic effect on them, like a branding in sling bullets, an temporary amulet effect or even a common spell effect when throwing them (magic dart, some hex, etc); the effect last for a short time so if you don't use it you lose it.
duvessa wrote:Christ, you can't remove anything without tavern complaining about it.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 4th October 2011, 21:57

Roderic wrote:I would rather propose to quit the fulsome distillation from the transmuter background

Somebody beat ya to it, Transmuters lost FD/Evap a few trunk commits ago. They get a new spell that gives them temporary auxiliary unarmed attacks like horns and talons and stuff. It's pretty sweet, I'm a fan.

Roderic wrote:Inscribe or engrave too. In high levels it could work on stones to engrave text and create some sort of magic effect on them, like a branding in sling bullets, an temporary amulet effect or even a common spell effect when throwing them (magic dart, some hex, etc); the effect last for a short time so if you don't use it you lose it.

It's kind of a cool idea but would it really be that distinct from spellcasting, particularly Hexes and Charms? If Scribes were implemented, it might be best to just have a couple writing- and scroll-themed spells, like a Fire/Charms that keeps your scrolls from burning, perhaps, or a Hex that curses a particular tile Elbereth-style as if you'd inscribed terrible runes of power on it.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Tuesday, 4th October 2011, 22:11

Somebody beat ya to it, Transmuters lost FD/Evap a few trunk commits ago. They get a new spell that gives them temporary auxiliary unarmed attacks like horns and talons and stuff.

Great minds think together. I have been unaware of 0.10 trunk development, I've just come back to the arena this week.

, or a Hex that curses a particular tile Elbereth-style as if you'd inscribed terrible runes of power on it.

Or hidden traps...

Return to Game Design Discussion