Pillar Dancing

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Slime Squisher

Post Sunday, 12th February 2023, 01:20

Pillar Dancing

I guess this is an apology post more than anything. In response to the failed experiments of variable monster movement speeds and opportunity attacks as mechanics to prevent stair dancing (and kiting/fleeing more generally), I previously posted that the only way to stop this behavior would be to remove pillars (and, more generally, terrain that can be looped around). I was wrong. An effective mechanic does already exist in the game: mesmerize. If every enemy in LoS were to automatically and irresistably mesmerize the player, then the player would not be able to move away from any enemy which would effectively prevent stair dancing and similar behaviors.

Shoals Surfer

Post Sunday, 12th February 2023, 04:21

Re: Pillar Dancing

I suppose; but I wonder how much in the way of tactics would be left?

Slime Squisher

Post Sunday, 12th February 2023, 22:59

Re: Pillar Dancing

Well, you would still be able to move as long as that movement didn't take you farther away from any enemy... which, now that I think of it, wouldn't be good enough for Wu Jian Council worshipers, so it would probably necessitate the removal of one of my favorite gods....

Return to Game Design Discussion