Stone autopickup

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Mines Malingerer

Post Saturday, 26th November 2022, 03:04

Stone autopickup

Just curious, why stone autopickup is NOT on by default for EEs at game start in Trunk, vs. the previously-prevailing setting? Whom is this benefiting? You're already carrying some, of course, so there's literally zero reasons I can think of for this. Am I missing something obvious?

Edit: I see, the obvious is that you have no stones, at first, which seems a bit boneheaded/ Gimping the only starting attack means, that isn't unarmed combat, by a weenie EE is a good idea...why?

Shoals Surfer

Post Saturday, 26th November 2022, 22:59

Re: Stone autopickup

I believe that Sandblast has been changed to no longer use stones (so, in particular, not giving them stones doesn't gimp anything).

For this message the author andrew has received thanks:
Majang

Mines Malingerer

Post Saturday, 3rd December 2022, 17:30

OK, coming back to this, Sandblast now has the older behavior, to whit: Sandblast does *more damage* when you have stones to consume, but still has effect, if none are held; I missed the patch note, when this change happened.

But this begs the question: If you're going to simplify the game by eliminating ammo for launchers, the only reasons stones now exist are for a) throwing (yuck) and b) fuel for enhanced Sandblast. Why even keep them, at this rate? If Sandblast is too powerful with this change, at base, just nerf it a little, and get rid of stones; this "halfway" business seems pretty silly -.-' .

Dungeon Master

Post Saturday, 3rd December 2022, 17:37

Not sure where you're getting your info, but this isn't correct -- sandblast doesn't use stones at all any more.

For this message the author advil has received thanks:
GreyMage

Return to Game Design Discussion