Cloud traps

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 6th October 2011, 05:06

Re: Cloud traps

In case nobody's mentioned this: increased item destruction penalizes pure melee builds more harshly than others. That might need to be taken into account.

For this message the author Grimm has received thanks:
pratamawirya

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 6th October 2011, 07:44

Grimm wrote:In case nobody's mentioned this: increased item destruction penalizes pure melee builds more harshly than others. That might need to be taken into account.

That's why I suggested giving AC a "conservation effect".
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Thursday, 6th October 2011, 08:47

Grimm wrote:In case nobody's mentioned this: increased item destruction penalizes pure melee builds more harshly than others. That might need to be taken into account.

Pure melee builds usually have more spare exp lying around to pump T&D, so increased trap threat should in general be less of a problem for these after you've taken care of some basic offense/defense.
Your warning level: [CLASSIFIED]

Blades Runner

Post Thursday, 6th October 2011, 09:18

galehar wrote:That's why I suggested giving AC a "conservation effect".

you could just use the GDR % for conservation (not stacking with conservation from the amulet, the cloak or the DS mutations).
about 35-50% by time you have good armour. too good?
Wins: DDBe (3 runes, morgue file)

Blades Runner

Post Thursday, 6th October 2011, 20:16

For this reason I really think that traps should be often be paired with appropriate monsters (eg, a miasa trap near a wight band, or a fire trap near a fire giant).

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 6th October 2011, 21:37

smock wrote:For this reason I really think that traps should be often be paired with appropriate monsters (eg, a miasa trap near a wight band, or a fire trap near a fire giant).

That's the point of vaults. For random traps, if you want monsters, just make them noisy.
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

Blades Runner

Post Saturday, 8th October 2011, 07:08

galehar wrote:
smock wrote:For this reason I really think that traps should be often be paired with appropriate monsters (eg, a miasa trap near a wight band, or a fire trap near a fire giant).

That's the point of vaults. For random traps, if you want monsters, just make them noisy.

Sure, that'd be straightforward. Nonetheless I think pairing traps with appropriate monsters would be fun. (Where would you want to hang out if you were an ice beat?) Most traps I run into are isolated and are less than likely to bring a monster running. Pairing traps with monsters would mean increase the chance of an interesting encounter. I suppose the merits of pairing depends on how often you think traps should bring on combat. I think the most often the better since Crawls is about killing and running from monsters.

Dungeon Master

Post Saturday, 8th October 2011, 09:33

smock wrote:
galehar wrote:

Sure, that'd be straightforward. Nonetheless I think pairing traps with appropriate monsters would be fun.

Yes, you said so already and I agree of course. So I listed 2 ways to do it. Either by designing simple vaults with a trap and patrolling monsters, or by giving an alarm to random traps.

Halls Hopper

Post Saturday, 8th October 2011, 10:25

I don't really have a problem with the new traps, or with item destruction in general.

I agree that a damage cloud trap in a corridor can potentially kill you, though, if you don't have the appropriate resistance and/or blink. Most players already desperately want both of those things, so maybe the cloud shouldn't "fill" the corridor. It could just take up three adjacent tiles and the "rest" of the cloud would be lost. Or if that's too weak, it could be a partial fill, at the devs' discretion.

I think the new traps make T&D more relevant, though not enough where I'd actually want much of it.
This probably belongs in its own thread, but here's a suggestion I'm throwing out there: What if disarming a trap has a chance to turn it "friendly"? The trap won't affect you (unless you want it to), and it even gains a T&D-related damage/effect bonus if your skill is high enough. To prevent abuse, blade traps would probably have to have very limited uses, and some traps may need to not be eligible (teleport, and maybe zot).

Traps probably aren't common enough to make T&D worth raising even if something like that went through, but I'd love to see traps become a more interesting part of the game.

Eringya's Employee

Post Wednesday, 12th October 2011, 16:55

What annoys me with all the pressure plates is that even if you found the trap you can't walk on it no matter your skill in traps and doors. So you have to trigger it in some cases to progress in the level or dig/blink your way around it. I have to say I've had wicked fun lately with open levels when a monster suddenly dies to a nice big fire trap while I'm like "oh shit I'm so dead".
MuCK;
  Code:
612 | D:1      | Xom revived you
614 | D:1      | Xom revived you
614 | D:1      | Slain by a gnoll

Abyss Ambulator

Post Sunday, 30th October 2011, 02:09

After playing a Hill Orc Priest, I can say with certainty that while the new traps are a lot more interesting, they also mean that an upgrade to ally AI would be a very good idea. As it was, despite my detection of just about every trap, I had allies stumble into them and set them off. It usually wasn't a problem, but there were two "field of raging chaos" traps that morphed a warlord and a knight, respectively (despite my blinking out and recalling next turn in both cases), and many miasma, fire, ice, etc. that delayed my army. It got to the point where when I found pressure plates, I would usually tell my followers to wait and then try to disarm them myself, because suffering the effect was worse than the alternative.
Previous

Return to Game Design Discussion