Mass sleep spell

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

erf

Mines Malingerer

Post Sunday, 6th March 2022, 17:24

Mass sleep spell

I sometimes like playing as a Spriggan enchanter and i was thinking it would be nice to have a "mass sleep" type of hex spell in my arsenal. In the late game you have Discord, which is a good hex spell, but perhaps a mass sleep spell could be good for the mid game hex spell. You do have "Alistair's Intoxication" for mass confusion, but it's a poison / transmutation spell. If you could make a all the monster in your view sleep, you could easier escape or stab multiple enemies before they eventually wake up. I don't find "Dazzling flash" very helpful, so you perhaps replace that one for a new spell.

As a side note, it would be nice if there was an indication that the monster was about to wake up. Perhaps they could snore if in deep sleep :)

Lair Larrikin

Post Monday, 7th March 2022, 12:57

Re: Mass sleep spell

Such a spell would be incredibly OP. I'd suggest using silence + attraction potion as a combo for stabbing many sleeping enemies. As far as enemy sleeping goes I suggest checking hellmonk's stealth megapost in the dungeon crawling advice section of this forum. There is o such thing as deep sleep or monsters being about to wake up.

Zot Zealot

Post Monday, 7th March 2022, 14:08

Lici_the_Crawler wrote: I'd suggest using silence + attraction potion as a combo for stabbing many sleeping enemies.

What kind of situation would you use this for? I don't usually find many ?silence or !attraction, but I find many many rooms full of sleeping enemies.
What groups of sleeping enemies do you save your consumables for?

Lair Larrikin

Post Thursday, 10th March 2022, 21:04

petercordia wrote:What kind of situation would you use this for? I don't usually find many ?silence or !attraction, but I find many many rooms full of sleeping enemies.
What groups of sleeping enemies do you save your consumables for?

I recently used it in Elf 3 to stab the majority of the enemies in the end vault. Another time I stabbed all but 1 monster in Tomb 3 with that combo! You can use the silence spell instead of attraction too. Where you use it depends very much on the char, just like other consumables.

Return to Game Design Discussion