Post Tuesday, 1st February 2022, 16:08

Gauntlet map reveal?

A while back Gauntlet had all its monsters changed to have them all generated awake. Ostensible goal of the change was that sleeping monsters lead to annoying creeping around while exploring the loot, trying not to wake them. I personally think this trades off against in an unfortunate manner against stealthy chars, but it seems as if its here to stay and it is a valid tradeoff to make.

Loot exploration and branch selection is very important in most gauntlet layouts. This leads to any non-turncount speedrun characters mashing [o] to fully explore gauntlet. I wonder if its possible if the map could just be generated revealed, since none of the usual -non-turncount speedrun arguments not to do so apply (stairs, vaults, monsters etc). This applies for temple too, I just keep [o] pressed until fully explored.

Pros: safe most characters 10-15 seconds of [o] mashing

Con: Potentially have turncount speedruns a couple hundred turns faster. Altough turncount runs don't often use temple altars and long temple layout aren't likely to generate records either way.

Average score a tiny bit higher.

For this message the author le_nerd has received thanks: 7
andrew, Majang, nago, Nekoatl, petercordia, Sprucery, tasonir