Post Wednesday, 26th January 2022, 23:41

Inner Flame is the best its ever been (critique)

If you haven't played FE since inner flame was made smite target, I highly encourage doing it now. Foxfire was already a great spell against Inner Flame targets because it hits twice. You can also land a Scorch on the same turn two Foxfires find your target and it hits first with all the subsequent benefits. If an Inner Flame target gets too close, you can Foxfire and move away. If the target explodes, you'll already be out of range. Almost anything early game can be kited this way, and it safely negates the player risk a spell like this is supposed to have (See CBL, Irradiate, Ocu's Refr)

Before Foxfire, an early game player adjacent to a monster with Inner Flame had few safe options but running out the enchantment. Inner flame was powerful but terrifying. Early on it held all the risks of a mid game air elementalist.

If Inner Flame could use any nerfs I'd make it so that only fire based attacks trigger the effect, and only once per turn:

1. Right now you can use other smite based spells to make anything in LOS explode. I'm okay with this being the intended design though. I played a merciful Spriggan who would Anguish and Inner Flame every orc priest. They'd only die by explosive retaliation if they landed a smite, otherwise I'd run away

2. Chaining multiple attacks in a single turn is very easy against a single high HP target like a Hydra and takes very little mana. If you are fast, it is trivial to execute this against every opponent who is not fire immune.

3. Another thought. Being able to cast Inner Flame on summons that die easily is also very powerful.
seattle washington. friends for life. mods hate on me and devs ignore my posts. creater of exoelfs and dc:pt

For this message the author twelwe has received thanks:
mopl