Saving Ignis

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Lair Larrikin

Post Friday, 10th December 2021, 11:43

Saving Ignis

There should be an option to save poor fire boi. How about if you manage to escape with an orb and maybe X amount of runes, while worshipping him, Ignis will be rekindled?

Abyss Ambulator

Post Friday, 10th December 2021, 13:16

Re: Saving Ignis

It is a good idea, but I think Ignis should be revived when you take back the fiery rune while worshipping her.

For this message the author sanka has received thanks:
petercordia

Pandemonium Purger

Post Monday, 13th December 2021, 18:05

I was honestly surprised this god was launched without any piety reclamation. If you can kill Jiyva, you should be able to rekindle Ignis in some way, even if its just an additional usage of rising flame
seattle washington. friends for life. mods hate on me and devs ignore my posts. creater of exoelfs and dc:pt

Lair Larrikin

Post Wednesday, 15th December 2021, 17:57

twelwe wrote:I was honestly surprised this god was launched without any piety reclamation. If you can kill Jiyva, you should be able to rekindle Ignis in some way, even if its just an additional usage of rising flame

sanka wrote:It is a good idea, but I think Ignis should be revived when you take back the fiery rune while worshipping her.

Saving via fiery rune is actually pretty creative. What I think, that at such stage of game, rekindling Ignis should empower him and his abilities. Like, give you permanently maxed out piety, make his abilities cost no piety AND be empowered, but cause exhaustion now. Also, allow you to safely renounce Ignis without any punishments (duh, you saved his life).

Slime Squisher

Post Thursday, 16th December 2021, 06:20

Realistically, I think a tournament banner and YAFM or two are about all that's likely to come out of "saving" Ignis. Anything more would require substantial balancing work, something the devs seem unlikely to do for an obscure conduct.

Though a nice easter egg with no balance implications: put a "dilapidated" or "dusty" altar in some obscure corner of Cerebov's castle. If you manage to make it there with Ignis still alive, it'll be identifiable as an altar to him, otherwise the markings will be too degraded to make out. Like Cerebov used to be an Ignis worshipper, but at some point forgot about him.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Thursday, 16th December 2021, 09:33

What balancing work? You think that Ignis' abilities are good at that stage??
I personally do not propose any change of the abilities, just allow piety gain (and possibly a rename from dying flame).

For this message the author sanka has received thanks: 2
andrew, petercordia

Shoals Surfer

Post Thursday, 16th December 2021, 17:14

Well I think the idea behind Ignis is reverse piety, so I doubt the devs would go for normal piety gain. But I'd like there to be some way to get piety back; maybe picking up the Orb should revive him/er? Gameplay-wise, if you manage to stick with Ignis through Z:5, you get one free escape (via Rising Flame) in the Orb run, which seems fair.

Lair Larrikin

Post Friday, 17th December 2021, 07:16

Return to Game Design Discussion