Killed by friendly fire

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 17th November 2021, 08:31

Killed by friendly fire

Should allies use area attacks against enemies when this will cause friendly fire to hit you? I had a KoGl who charmed an efreet on D:9 and was a few turns later killed by the same efreet (still friendly). The efreet blasted a red ugly thing that was next to my character. Ended a streak and all...
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

For this message the author Sprucery has received thanks:
andrew

Shoals Surfer

Post Wednesday, 17th November 2021, 15:11

Re: Killed by friendly fire

I'd say not; or, if so, the risk should be communicated (this is the first I learned of it). But maybe it's for symmetry? After all, enemies hit each other with friendly fire all the time.

Mines Malingerer

Post Sunday, 21st November 2021, 22:25

I disagree; ALL effects have always affected everything in their area of effect, unless expressly described otherwise. I really don't think a fireball or lightning bolt should have a lot of discriminatory powers ^^' . Similarly, your own spells certainly will affect allies, if they're hit (hence the confirmation when it's possible).

I DO, however, agree that the risk perhaps could be communicated somewhere/somehow; I don't recall anything in the in-game help text that mentions it, for example. And let's face it; it's not easy, any more, for noobs to register on the Tavern, so they can't ask much here. That help needs to be more comprehensive, imo ^^' .

Shoals Surfer

Post Sunday, 21st November 2021, 22:54

I didn't mean you should be immune to their friendly fire; I meant they should be smart enough to not launch fireballs that will hit you.

For this message the author andrew has received thanks:
rigrig

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 22nd November 2021, 08:40

I don't remember having this kind of problem with allies before, so I thought this might be a bug considering efreets in particular.
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

Abyss Ambulator

Post Monday, 22nd November 2021, 12:17

I remember allies always could hit you, including your own summoned white imps killing you if you are behind their target and they miss. Some monsters are really bad if friendly and more likely to kill you than the enemy.

Return to Game Design Discussion