Can we just show attack delay?

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Mines Malingerer

Post Saturday, 16th October 2021, 22:13

Can we just show attack delay?

When I look at an armor, I can immediately see the helpful line:

"If you switch to wearing this armour, your AC would decrease by 2 (20 -> 18)"

Also this other stuff:

"Base armour rating: 10 Encumbrance rating: 18"

When I look at a weapon, I see this:

"Base accuracy: -4 Base damage: 14 Base attack delay: 2.0
This weapon's minimum attack delay (0.7) is reached at skill level 26.
Your skill: 5.1; use (s) to set 26.0 as a target for Polearms.
At 100% training you would reach 26.0 in about 8.0 XLs.
At current training (25%) you reach 26.0 in the equivalent of 22.4 XLs."

I really like how helpful the armor comparison is. Can we get that for weapons? Just tell me how much stronger, faster, and more accurate a new weapon is. Why do I have all the numbers around these values, but not the actual useful ones?

For this message the author blueeyedlion has received thanks: 2
nago, rigrig

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 18th October 2021, 23:21

Re: Can we just show attack delay?

Very reasonable, in the mean time your current attack delay is shown (in numbers) by pressing @

Slime Squisher

Post Wednesday, 20th October 2021, 18:06

I agree that adding the current attack delay, and the change from the current attack delay when viewing unequipped weapons, would be useful, but I wouldn't want that to replace all of the existing information. The detailed information provided by examining a weapon is useful for both short-term and long-term planning, but the bottom three lines could be removed. Reason being, setting skill targets, and knowing how many experience levels would need to be gained under current settings, are applicable to all skills, not just weapons and shields, and would therefore be better handled on the skill allocation screen in a consistent way. For example, by adding a fourth option to [!], e.g. "levels", which would display the approximate number of experience levels needed to reach the target (if set) with the current allocation (for skills that are being actively trained).

On a related note, examining body armour and shields should probably list the current penalties that would be applied while wearing them, and perhaps what those penalties would be reduced to upon reaching the current training target for the applicable skills. Some players don't even realize that you can't reduce armour's stealth penalties by increasing strength or armour skill.

For this message the author Nekoatl has received thanks:
andrew

Shoals Surfer

Post Wednesday, 20th October 2021, 21:05

Nekoatl wrote:On a related note, examining body armour and shields should probably list the current penalties that would be applied while wearing them, and perhaps what those penalties would be reduced to upon reaching the current training target for the applicable skills. Some players don't even realize that you can't reduce armour's stealth penalties by increasing strength or armour skill.

This. Or, at least, indicate how it would change your EV, just as you're now told how switching armour will change your AC.

Return to Game Design Discussion