Flavor --- change "Sacrifice Love"

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Shoals Surfer

Post Thursday, 19th August 2021, 02:00

Flavor --- change "Sacrifice Love"

There are two problems as I see it with the phrasings "Sacrifice Love" and "You are hated by all": (a) they're a bit deceptive as to what the sacrifice actually does. To me, it sounds as though it would have something to do with making shopkeepers unwilling to sell to you, or something of that sort; I wouldn't expect it to be primarily about summons and derived undead. (I've never pictured animated skeletons as "loving" my character.) (b) If you care about such things (and I understand some of you may not, in which case you can skip this one), I rather suspect it risks being kinda upsetting to at least some players, who want games to be a refuge from real life (which DCSS is generally pretty good at).

So I'd change "Sacrifice Love" to "Sacrifice Minions" and "You are hated by all" to "You can no longer command other beings." The problem with this, of course, is that allies often are hard to control anyway; but that's an issue with allies, not with the Ru sacrifice. I think it's clearer, at least, than the current version; and I imagine the fraction of the playerbase that's upset at their lack of RL minions is rather small.

Slime Squisher

Post Saturday, 21st August 2021, 05:25

Re: Flavor --- change "Sacrifice Love"

How about "Sacrifice Loyalty" or "Sacrifice Leadership", with "No being of any kind will fight for you" as the description? That keeps it "Sacrifice <abstract quality>" while still being a lot clearer than "Sacrifice Love", and the description avoids the ambiguity of "command".

For this message the author ion_frigate has received thanks:
andrew

Crypt Cleanser

Post Saturday, 21st August 2021, 11:35

ion_frigate wrote:How about "Sacrifice Loyalty" or "Sacrifice Leadership", with "No being of any kind will fight for you" as the description?
Not quite enough. Not only will they not fight for you, they will fight against you. I'd suggest "Sacrifice Allies" with "all beings in this game will be your enemies, even those called forth by you."
Last edited by Majang on Sunday, 22nd August 2021, 07:10, edited 1 time in total.
Maɟaŋ

Shoals Surfer

Post Sunday, 22nd August 2021, 01:21

I like "Sacrifice Leadership". The description could still be as Majang suggested if that's needed for clarity.

Return to Game Design Discussion