New autopickup?

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Temple Termagant

Post Sunday, 25th July 2021, 00:22

New autopickup?

In trunk/0.27, characters seem to automatically pick up some items - curare darts - without being selected by the player? I see that nets are autopicked up, and are marked. But if I DON'T want to pick up the darts, I don't know where to select that (since it's not marked on the menu).

Bug or feature?

Thanks!

JR

For this message the author jr88keys has received thanks: 2
Implojin, Majang

Shoals Surfer

Post Sunday, 25th July 2021, 01:59

Re: New autopickup?

Pretty sure it's an intended feature, but agree that the menu should have a way to turn it off.

Slime Squisher

Post Sunday, 25th July 2021, 20:55

It's intentional that curare et al were added to default autopickup, but the interface for this probably could use some improvement.

You can disable autopickup for darts, nets, and boomerangs completely (including curare, atropa, and dispersal) through the autopickup menu by pressing the key for them until they're marked with a - highlighted in white, like so:

Spoiler: show

I totally agree that the current behavior is hard to discover -- How is the player supposed to know that force-disabling pickup for those items will have different behavior than the default, which is also marked as disabled?

If you have any suggestions how to improve the interface here, I'd like to hear them?

Shoals Surfer

Post Sunday, 25th July 2021, 22:04

Could they just be listed as a separate category?

Mines Malingerer

Post Friday, 30th July 2021, 17:22

While I agree there should be a clearer way to define this behavior as you like, I DO appreciate the new autopickup rules, especially "pick up the first instance of any accessory armor you find" (helmets, gloves, cloaks, and boots).

Return to Game Design Discussion