Auto-ID equippables

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Shoals Surfer

Post Sunday, 21st February 2021, 18:58

Auto-ID equippables

With the removal of curses, is there any reason left for wearables not to auto-ID? It seems to me to be relevant now only in rather rare cases (distortion weapons, artifacts with *Contam or *Drain) --- and I don't think either of those is intended primarily to punish wear-ID. At least, it's now tedious but optimal to wear-ID every non-artifact armour you find.

For this message the author andrew has received thanks: 2
duvessa, Majang

Slime Squisher

Post Sunday, 21st February 2021, 19:12

Re: Auti-ID equippables

There are a few cases where it can lead the player to make some risk/reward decisions that are much easier with Ashenzari's auto-ID feature. Mostly, these are various situations involving items in vaults (especially in the Gauntlet), though there's also cases where a player may need to decide whether it's worth trying to sneak by a dangerous enemy (group) to gain access to an unidentified item.

BTW, I have noticed that armour categories pseudo-ID in crawl_tiles-0.27-a0-346, showing brand but not enchantment level. Not really sure why this happens, and only partially IDs, but it saves some hassle if your armour is already maximally enchanted, and if nothing else, it's a lot more convenient than before, where it was also beneficial to equip unidentified armour of suitable types to ID them, but with the added inconvenience of potentially needing to carry them around until a remove curse scroll could be found... in some games, something that didn't happen until deep in the dungeon.

Slime Squisher

Post Sunday, 21st February 2021, 20:57

Re: Auti-ID equippables

Nekoatl wrote:Mostly, these are various situations involving items in vaults (especially in the Gauntlet), though there's also cases where a player may need to decide whether it's worth trying to sneak by a dangerous enemy (group) to gain access to an unidentified item.

One way to handle this without altering vault balance is to shift wear-id over to floor-id, similar to books and wands.

I already have a branch half-written that does this, but there are some Xom stimulation cases that need to be handled and some minor refactoring that needs to be done before I submit a PR.

(If someone on the devteam beats me to it, that's entirely ok too.)

Slime Squisher

Post Wednesday, 24th February 2021, 16:05

Re: Auto-ID equippables

Equippable items now identify when you step on them in trunk.

For this message the author Implojin has received thanks: 6
andrew, Deso, Majang, petercordia, tasonir, TheMeInTeam

Return to Game Design Discussion