Minotaurs should have berserkitis

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Lair Larrikin

Post Friday, 12th February 2021, 23:25

Minotaurs should have berserkitis

Minotaurs should start with pissed off mutations.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 17th February 2021, 06:19

Re: Minotaurs should have berserkitis

I think you could design an interesting race around having berserkitis, but I wouldn't just tack it on to minotaurs; they're generally recommended to newbies and it's nice to have an easy race for people learning the game.

For this message the author tasonir has received thanks: 2
andrew, Nekoatl

Lair Larrikin

Post Wednesday, 24th February 2021, 20:33

No, it should be minotaurs, because they have a cultural tradition of being angry. And they are related to bovine. And in depictions of bullfighting, the bull is enraged by the red cloth.

I think it's important to build off of cultural tradition, rather than introducing new species that nobody has ever heard of. For example, I don't know what a palentonga is. I don't know if it's based on some very obscure mythology or they just made it up. I googled it and only came up with dungeon crawl. So, there's absolutely no connection there.

Zot Zealot

Post Wednesday, 24th February 2021, 21:43

Berserkitis is a very scary mutation.

If you'd like to try out how a species with berserkitis plays, I'd recommend trying a few games with djinn on the bcrawl branch (available on eg underhound.eu:8080).
I haven't been brave enough to try a melee djinn yet. I think the proposed change would make Minotaurs very unpopular.

For this message the author petercordia has received thanks:
andrew

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 25th February 2021, 21:18

Khashishi wrote:No, it should be minotaurs, because they have a cultural tradition of being angry. And they are related to bovine. And in depictions of bullfighting, the bull is enraged by the red cloth.

I think it's important to build off of cultural tradition, rather than introducing new species that nobody has ever heard of. For example, I don't know what a palentonga is. I don't know if it's based on some very obscure mythology or they just made it up. I googled it and only came up with dungeon crawl. So, there's absolutely no connection there.

This view makes complete sense and it would be great theme. I just want to gently warn you that 'theme' tends to come secondary to game play for the developers, so they'll be more concerned with how it affects gameplay. As mentioned, Berserkitis is a very bad mutation to have, and so it would effectively just make playing minotaurs harder. As they get recommended to new players, that's not something that I expect would happen.

There's plenty of other races that can explore temperamental/stubborn/berserker as well as bulls, for example the djinn is a fantasy creature known for being hot headed and deceitful. It isn't a race in the main branch, but you can play them in the fork petercordia mentioned.

For this message the author tasonir has received thanks:
Majang

Swamp Slogger

Post Friday, 26th February 2021, 09:08

Or maybe Trog could suppress beserkitis? After all
worshippers of Trog gain the ability to go berserk at will in combat
Then complete newbies could happily continue playing MiBes. (and as a side effect it really impresses the importance of god choice.)
Maybe even link beserkitis to some XP level, so other classes have a decent chance of finding a Trog altar before it kicks in.

Shoals Surfer

Post Friday, 26th February 2021, 16:00

That will have the negative side effect, though, of discouraging newbies from trying other deities. Also, it seems pretty consistent that leveling up never makes a character weaker (except for an unlucky Ds roll, but with the reform of Demonic Guardian even that's less of a problem); this would break that.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Saturday, 27th February 2021, 13:56

I don't think "species that can only worship one god" is a good design decision.

Berserkitis is so bad that having it basically means you can't risk melee ever.

For this message the author Jeremiah has received thanks:
andrew

Return to Game Design Discussion