Gozag Gold Gifts

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Slime Squisher

Post Monday, 8th February 2021, 00:14

Gozag Gold Gifts

Just a simple quality of life request to have Gozag's gold-on-kill feature deposit the gold directly into the player's wallet instead of leaving it on the floor. When combining the ever-increasing cost of Call Merchant with the many reasons one might want to avoid using auto-explore, manually picking up the gold starts to feel extremely tedious after awhile, especially in the Abyss where the player may feel pressured to pick up gold in combat before they get pulled away from it, in which case even auto-pickup doesn't work.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Monday, 8th February 2021, 11:43

Re: Gozag Gold Gifts

That would deprive you of one of Gozag's benefits, that is to dazzle your enemies with the gold lying around. Let it sit for as long as possible, and then take in your stash before you move on to a new area.
Maɟaŋ

Slime Squisher

Post Monday, 8th February 2021, 15:24

I used to do that, but I think enemies have a chance of getting dazzled by gold that you're carrying as well (I'm like, 95% sure I remember seeing this happen). So, I think there's no real incentive to leave gold lying around, which is fortunate in my opinion, because turning off autopickup until the level is cleared and luring enemies back to gold piles isn't exactly efficient or strategically interesting.

For this message the author Nekoatl has received thanks:
andrew

Shoals Surfer

Post Monday, 8th February 2021, 15:42

I believe it used to be as Majang said but was changed?

Crypt Cleanser

Post Monday, 8th February 2021, 18:13

Gold distraction did indeed originally work based on gold piles in line of sight but this was changed (in 0.17) to simply use a player duration that is set when the player kills a monster, regardless of gold piles onscreen. It was changed precisely to avoid the behavior Majang describes - you were encouraged to leave gold sitting around to distract stuff. The current behavior is probably a bit obfuscated by the messaging. Gold distraction gives a message referencing "nearby gold" if there are gold piles onscreen when it activates (otherwise it gives a different message referencing "your gold" or a third, extremely rare message about 'imaginary riches" if you somehow trigger gold distraction with no gold piles in line of sight and no gold on hand).

For this message the author Hellmonk has received thanks: 2
andrew, Majang

Slime Squisher

Post Monday, 8th February 2021, 18:40

My request would totally clear up any remaining confusion about that, I'm sure.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 8th February 2021, 18:46

But one of my favorite things is to inner flame stuff under Goz and have gold bits explode all over the place :)
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

For this message the author Siegurt has received thanks:
Majang

Slime Squisher

Post Monday, 8th February 2021, 19:16

Admittedly hilarious, but also exacerbates the manual pickup problem.

Return to Game Design Discussion