wereblood

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Temple Termagant

Post Thursday, 21st January 2021, 19:56

wereblood

wereblood makes no sense for so many of the races. why would an octopode transmuter be able to get in touch with an inner were-spirit and HOWL? a felid? it's terrible. it's doubly terrible that it replaces a useful and fun spell like sticks to snakes. sticks to snakes was an important panic button for pathetically weak early transmuters, replaced by a weak buff that includes LOUD NOISE? song of slaying sucked already: being were-themed makes it way worse. i've had a level 1 octopode transmuter sitting in trunk on my server since the change, just so i can check every once in a while if this horrible change is still extant. it just makes me so sad. thank you.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 21st January 2021, 22:32

Re: wereblood

Note that irrespective of theme wereblood is a pretty good spell, it doesn't make as much noise as Song of slaying did, and can quickly give you a significant offense boost.

Sticks to snakes was unfortunately overpowered, and awkward, and was going to be removed regardless of the SoS->Wereblood change, and when enchantment went, someone said "hey let's take this hole and fill it with a reskinned song of slaying, and reduce it's drawbacks on the way"

So if you'd rather have *nothing* than wereblood, then just don't cast it, because that's the other way this could have gone.

If your complaint is purely thematic, I'm sorry for your loss, although IMO wereblood is at least closer thematically to the other transformation spells (which all at least operate on the spellcaster) than S2S was.A howling octopode is a little odd thematically, but on the other hand whatever an octopode is it can also shout and give allies instructions, so it must have vocal cords at least. (I'm not sure what your problem is with a were-cat, that seems totally on point, felids are probably closer to being beastly than your typical human would be)
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Slime Squisher

Post Thursday, 21st January 2021, 23:24

Re: wereblood

As quite the fan of octopode transmuters myself, I have to object to idea that Wereblood is a bad spell. You definitely don't want to be using it often, but in the right situations, it's quite good. If used wisely, the noise can actually be helpful rather than a drawback. Like, how many times have you seen a pack of orcs, and rather than fighting them all in the open, decided to try to lure them around a corner where you could fight them one at a time, only to find most of them wander off without noticing you? Wereblood draws them in allowing you to quickly and easily kill them before the spell expires.

Also, Sticks to Snakes was powerful in the early game, but useless in the late game. Wereblood has utility even late in the game.

For your thematic complaints, remember that Transmutations is thematically a spell school about changing things, especially the caster. Even if your species doesn't seem like it would/could shout, that's all the more reason for Transmutations to give them the ability to do so.

Return to Game Design Discussion