bring back djinn

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Tomb Titivator

Post Thursday, 21st January 2021, 18:37

bring back djinn

Too many species are too similar and play the same. Hill orcs and minotaurs for example. I remember djinn being the coolest thing ever and they got axed, meanwhile you have heavy armor tabber #467 with the centaur replacement.

As for centaurs being boring because of kiting, instances of kiting weren't that common to begin with in a centaur game. Plus you can still do it with other fast species so the argument doesn't really make sense.

There's a flavor aspect here too. It's more fun to play as a well known mythical creature than a literally who that you have to Google, then beat in 3 hours and never play again because it's a hill orc with a barding and a roll gimmick you never needed to use.

Man, can we just get djinn back instead of these lame species we keep getting?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 21st January 2021, 22:41

Re: bring back djinn

Djinn were terrible mechanically, I mean the *idea* was cool, but the whole "hps and mp are collapsed into one pool" didn't work at all for a lot of reasons. I would love to see a new Djinn-themed race, because it would be thematically neat, but the mechanics of the prior existing race had all sorts of weird holes and exceptions.
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

For this message the author Siegurt has received thanks:
nago

Crypt Cleanser

Post Friday, 22nd January 2021, 05:14

The problem with the central djinn gimmick was trying to collapse hp and mp into one pool that had to have a patchwork of special cases to cover various things that interacted with mp and would for whatever reason interact badly if that mp was also directly hp and losing all of it would kill you. It's fairly easy to fix this - just make them have 0 mp and any effect that costs mp is cast from hp at whatever ratio you want (you can even call their hp pool "essence" if you really have to). Instead of a billion ridiculous special cases, they would have a very simple interaction where things that cost mp cost hp instead and anything else that interacts with mp does nothing because they don't have mp. It's also worth noting that their ridiculous spell hunger replacement system (lmao) no longer has even the pretense of a function and could just be discarded.

This all leaves aside the question of whether the Djinn gimmick is interesting enough to warrant a species on its own ofc, and I also disagree that you didn't kite a lot with centaurs; you spent almost the entire earlygame kiting and likely significant portions of the midgame as well until you got heavy enough armor and a good enough longbow to just dumpster everything without having to play the game anymore.

For this message the author Hellmonk has received thanks: 4
Lici_the_Crawler, nago, petercordia, Shard1697

Zot Zealot

Post Friday, 22nd January 2021, 11:56

I rather like the bcrawl djinn, and the bcrawl skeleton could easily replace one of the heavy armour tabbers currently in the game

I don't have any experience with the removed djinn. I believe the bcrawl djinn is very different from it.

Tomb Titivator

Post Thursday, 28th January 2021, 11:20

I would love to play as a skeleton! It sounds fun, and is a long time classic fantasy monster, unlike a random dungeons and dragons monster pulled out of a hat to replace centaurs.

Give us skeletons, too!

Return to Game Design Discussion