Curses

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Tomb Titivator

Post Thursday, 21st January 2021, 11:16

Curses

Curses should be removed with experience or exploration, not scrolls. The curse god can gift curse scrolls, and remove curse scroll should be removed.

Can't believe I'm suggesting this as it makes the bot I'm writing harder to write, but honestly this seems like the obvious, possibly inevitable, next step for curses.

Swamp Slogger

Post Friday, 22nd January 2021, 17:03

Re: Curses

Gotta agree here. Right now curses and remove curse scrolls exist mainly as interface screw, unless you're playing Ash. Would probably be simplest to replace non-Ash curses with temporary mutations, which already are XP-gated, and replace remove curse scrolls with a piety cost for Ash.

Shoals Surfer

Post Friday, 22nd January 2021, 17:30

Except in the early game, where they do IMO create interesting decisions/situations. Yes, once remove curse scrolls become common, curses become irrelevant.

For this message the author andrew has received thanks:
Majang

Crypt Cleanser

Post Friday, 22nd January 2021, 19:38

Well, even in the late game you are forced to waste an equipment slot for the scrolls, because there is often enough stuff that you want to try out without wasting an id scroll. But I wouldn't call that an interesting decision, as it is in the early game.
Maɟaŋ

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Sunday, 24th January 2021, 09:04

I find the curse scroll inventory tax very inconvenient, so I'm all for a solution that removes it. The only question is how it would interact with the *cursed weapons.
I Feel the Need--the Need for Beer
Spoiler: show
3DSBeTr 15DSFiRu 3DSMoNe 3FoHuGo 3TrArOk 3HOFEVe 3MfGlOk 4GrEEVe 3BaIEChei 3HuMoOka 3MiWnQaz 3VSFiAsh 3DrTmMakh 3DSCKXom 3OgMoOka 3NaFiOka 3FoFiOka 3MuFEVeh 3CeHuOka 3TrMoTSO 3DEFESif 3DSMoOka 3DSFiOka

Shoals Surfer

Post Sunday, 24th January 2021, 15:57

Could just replace them with *Drain.

Tomb Titivator

Post Thursday, 28th January 2021, 01:58

Andrew, I'm guessing most players will just take the drain hit. The idea is that you should be stuck with the item for like a floor before you can take it off. That's how it works in the early game, anyway. Late game curses just are an annoyance.

Shoals Surfer

Post Thursday, 28th January 2021, 03:11

I was talking about a replacement for *Curse on artifacts, not for curses on random equipment.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 28th January 2021, 08:08

snow wrote:Andrew, I'm guessing most players will just take the drain hit. The idea is that you should be stuck with the item for like a floor before you can take it off. That's how it works in the early game, anyway. Late game curses just are an annoyance.

What if the curse was indeed tied to floors? Like, you have too visit 3 new levels and then the curse comes off. This would make late game curses matter as well.
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

Halls Hopper

Post Thursday, 28th January 2021, 23:46

Majang wrote:Well, even in the late game you are forced to waste an equipment slot for the scrolls, because there is often enough stuff that you want to try out without wasting an id scroll. But I wouldn't call that an interesting decision, as it is in the early game.

I disagree. Once I have enough scrolls of identify I dump remove curse. Also, on some games where I have a very tight inventory I drop both identify and remove curse and just CTRL+F them when I need to use them.

Shoals Surfer

Post Thursday, 28th January 2021, 23:54

Sprucery wrote:
snow wrote:Andrew, I'm guessing most players will just take the drain hit. The idea is that you should be stuck with the item for like a floor before you can take it off. That's how it works in the early game, anyway. Late game curses just are an annoyance.

What if the curse was indeed tied to floors? Like, you have too visit 3 new levels and then the curse comes off. This would make late game curses matter as well.

Would require some serious rebalancing, though. The game is (I assume) currently balanced around cursed floor items only being (relevantly) an early-game effect.

Edit: and now I see the devs went with the more direct solution.

Return to Game Design Discussion