evasion soft cap

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Tomb Titivator

Post Friday, 1st January 2021, 22:26

evasion soft cap

Evasion is soft capped at 30, according to the wiki:

http://crawl.chaosforge.org/Evasion

Code:
EV = (EV<30? EV : 10 + 20*log(1 + (EV-10)/20)/log(2))

That is, after 30 evasion it's not really worth it to gain more points in dodging. What annoys me is that this is completely invisible and obscure, and seems to exist for no reason except to spite spriggans, which aren't even that good to begin with. I'm sure most players didn't even know this!

I propose either indicating it in game, or removing the soft cap. Seriously, why is it completely hidden that evasion is much less useful after 30?

For this message the author snow has received thanks:
petercordia

Crypt Cleanser

Post Saturday, 2nd January 2021, 03:59

Re: evasion soft cap

Disagree with spriggans not being good, agree with removing both the ev stepdown and the dex stepdown, rebalancing as necessary, for game clarity reasons.

Shoals Surfer

Post Saturday, 2nd January 2021, 23:13

How would you rebalance? Just by lowering everyone's Dodging aptitude?

Crypt Cleanser

Post Sunday, 3rd January 2021, 04:32

Lots of ways you could do it. Dropping apts, increasing armor penalty to evasion, making the benefit of the non-stepdowned portion of dex lower. Depending on how you do it some characters get a little better and some get a little worse but game balance overall shouldnt be too affected. I'm fine with high dex characters being a little better as long as there are still tradeoffs to make.

For this message the author Hellmonk has received thanks: 2
andrew, nago

Slime Squisher

Post Monday, 11th January 2021, 23:55

Maybe the devs are worried about extreme edge cases like Octopodes wearing the Ring of Phasing on the macabre finger necklace and 8 rings of evasion on its tentacles with maxed Dodging and Jiyva-adjusted stats heavily in favor of DEX? Though I think that even in the extremely rare case where that's actually possible, the player would be sacrificing enough power in other areas that I wouldn't be concerned even with a smooth EV curve, particularly when there are a variety of threats that ignore EV entirely.

For this message the author Nekoatl has received thanks:
andrew

Shoals Surfer

Post Tuesday, 12th January 2021, 00:40

And isn't there a flat 5% minimum chance to hit no matter how high EV is?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 12th January 2021, 13:43

If people want to invest that much into evasion, I say let them. It's worth mentioning it'd be an indirect Chei buff, but I don't really think it's going ruin the game if chei characters get +3 EV by the time they have 2 runes.

For this message the author tasonir has received thanks: 2
andrew, nago

Slime Squisher

Post Monday, 18th January 2021, 14:37

andrew wrote:And isn't there a flat 5% minimum chance to hit no matter how high EV is?

Yes:
  Code:
defines.h:const int MIN_HIT_MISS_PERCENTAGE = 5;

I don't agree with the OP's premise here, TBH. The stepdown function is not particularly harsh.
Ascension reports with too many words since 2016.

For this message the author damerell has received thanks:
andrew

Shoals Surfer

Post Monday, 18th January 2021, 15:41

I think the issue here isn't so much that it's harsh as that it's obscure.

For this message the author andrew has received thanks: 3
duvessa, nago, Nekoatl

Slime Squisher

Post Tuesday, 19th January 2021, 23:34

andrew wrote:I think the issue here isn't so much that it's harsh as that it's obscure.

The OP describes it as "not really worth it to gain more points in dodging", and "much less useful after 30". That suggests harshness to me.

As for obscurity, I didn't know about this particular effect nor the cap of 5% on hit/miss chances, but I'd expect _something_ of that nature. Crawl's full of these stepdown functions when you get really good at something. I can't see knowing it really affecting my games.
Ascension reports with too many words since 2016.

Shoals Surfer

Post Wednesday, 20th January 2021, 01:42

Well the OP can speak for themself. I was aware of the 5% rule; but while the game indeed has plenty of stepdown functions I'm unsure what purpose they serve that isn't served better by the well-known diminishing returns from XP investment (which can be made harsher if need be).

For this message the author andrew has received thanks:
petercordia

Return to Game Design Discussion