Demonspawn Configuration?

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Slime Squisher

Post Friday, 13th November 2020, 16:04

Demonspawn Configuration?

I know people around here generally prefer Demonspawn mutations and Draconian colors to be generated randomly, but for players like me, it just means that we quit and restart characters over and over again until we get the desired characteristics. This is particularly bad with Demonspawn, because it means quitting thousands of characters, typically before reaching level 10, but sometimes past level 20, and the frustration that process generates means that we'll eventually get fed up and use wizard mode to force a character to have the desired mutations. However, wizard mode doesn't allow customizing Demonspawn mutations (at least that I'm aware of), so we have to choose another species and give them the mutations instead, which inevitably ends up being rather OP and trivializing the gameplay, which gets boring fast.

So, I was wondering if there was a win/win solution, where players could casually enjoy specific combinations of Demonspawn mutations, while preserving the randomness for competitive play. Here's my thought, but I'm not familiar enough with online play to know if it's viable:

Have a configuration option to avoid certain Demonspawn mutations. Crawl would select a mutation set that doesn't include those configured to be avoided. If all body slots are marked to avoid, characters would always be generated monstrous. Otherwise, if at least one head/arm/leg slot has all mutations marked to avoid, characters would never be generated monstrous. If a player avoids too many mutations, such that's it's not possible to generate a full set, they would simply miss out on some of their mutations. This means it would be possible to play a Demonspawn with no natural mutations, which I guess someone might want to try for novelty or for an extra challenge?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 13th November 2020, 16:39

Re: Demonspawn Configuration?

I'm pretty sure that defeats the intent of playing demonspawn in the first place. If you don't want to adapt to randomization, then don't play demonspawn.

If you want to experiment with a specific build for experimentation's sake, wizmode should probably have the ability to select demonspawn facets, that it doesn't is probably because it's annoying to do so, and there's not enough interest for someone to take the time to make such a thing.
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

For this message the author Siegurt has received thanks:
andrew

Crypt Cleanser

Post Friday, 13th November 2020, 16:45

I agree with Siegurt on this. I like to play demonspawn. Although it always makes me groan when I get the demonic guardian again, or the black mark, I never quit. If I had the option that Nekoatl outlines, I guess I would use it every single time, and that precisely kills the species for me.
Maɟaŋ

For this message the author Majang has received thanks:
andrew

Zot Zealot

Post Friday, 13th November 2020, 16:53

with us being able to chose the seed now, you can start a character, wiz-mode it to level 27, then start a new character with the same seed if you like the mutations.
you can't pick-and-chose mutations, and getting any particularly specific combination of mutations will still require large amounts of time, but I think that's necessary. You can at least guarantee not getting any mutations you really hate (for me that's being monstrous or having too many underpowered mutations) and it helps if you're doing any particular challenges.

Slime Squisher

Post Friday, 13th November 2020, 17:27

I think I'm probably going to have to just figure out how to make my own personal branch to solve this problem and the inventory clutter problem.

Return to Game Design Discussion