Base skill targets

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Slime Squisher

Post Monday, 2nd November 2020, 19:05

Base skill targets

The skill training UI is the best it's ever been, and handles most use cases perfectly, but there's still one that's tedious and wasteful but could be easily improved. This is when you have some bonus to a skill that you want to stop training when its experience point cost increases. Training stops when the boosted skill value reaches the target value, and then you have to keep increasing the target by 0.1 until you see the cost increase, which almost always results in some overflow on your investment.

I suggest that when setting a skill target, the game would check whether "enhanced" or "base" level is currently selected, and store that as a boolean value for each skill target. Enhanced targets would appear green and base targets grey, so the player can see at a glance what kind of targets they set for each skill. Enhanced targets would use the current behavior, and base targets would instead stop when the base value reaches the target.

For this message the author Nekoatl has received thanks:
petercordia

Crypt Cleanser

Post Tuesday, 3rd November 2020, 10:18

Re: Base skill targets

I'm inclined to agree, but I think we need to get the EVM stack on the byte code so we don't run into a consensus fork.
Maɟaŋ

For this message the author Majang has received thanks:
rigrig

Tomb Titivator

Post Thursday, 21st January 2021, 07:28

Majang, you're not funny.

As for the OP, there's a lot that can be done with skill targets, like stopping training after a manual is used up. But then you'd have so much clutter in the interface.

I don't think it's worth it.

Slime Squisher

Post Thursday, 21st January 2021, 12:43

If UI complexity is a concern, a modified approach is possible. Set skill targets they way we do now, but stop twice: once when the modified value reaches the target, and again when the base value reaches the target.

For this message the author Nekoatl has received thanks:
petercordia

Return to Game Design Discussion