Remove accuracy nerf to blessed weapons

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Halls Hopper

Post Sunday, 1st November 2020, 06:41

Remove accuracy nerf to blessed weapons

Blessed weapons (eudemon blade, sacred scourge, trishula) are some of the rarest weapons in the game. The only guaranteed way to get them is by worshipping TSO, and you’re unlikely to find them otherwise. They’re explained in-game as being the result of TSO’s blessing, making them the only purely ‘god-touched’ weapons outside of unrands.

Compared to its demon counterpart, each blessed weapon gets a base damage buff of +1 and a base accuracy nerf of -1. In-game, it seems strange that a god’s blessing would make a weapon worse in any way. From a purely mechanical perspective, perhaps the accuracy nerf is seen as somehow ‘balancing out’ the damage bonus. But is there any reason it needs balancing? The only situation in which one would be choosing between demon and blessed is if there were a non-TSO (and also non-undead/DS) character already using a demon weapon who happened to find one. Pretty niche. And anyway the tradeoff of +1 base damage for -1 base accuracy is unambiguously worth it, so if it is balancing it’s pseudobalancing more likely to trick the less-experienced player.

The only other explanation is that it’s like a little joke at TSO’s expense.

So I propose that either:
1. Blessed weapons get a +1 accuracy bonus, making them slightly better than demon weapons in both accuracy and damage;
or
2. Blessed weapons be given the same accuracy as demon weapons.

For this message the author monkeytor has received thanks:
andrew

Shoals Surfer

Post Sunday, 1st November 2020, 15:15

Re: Remove accuracy nerf to blessed weapons

Is the idea maybe that demon weapons are blessed by the demons, who give an Acc bonus just as TSO gives a Dam bonus? Still, I agree with you that this would be a good change.

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Sunday, 1st November 2020, 16:47

Yes, indeed, I just checked, there is such a thing as weapon's accuracy. I thought it was removed many versions ago. I am also uncertain of what it does exactly.

For this message the author Magipi has received thanks:
le_nerd

Shoals Surfer

Post Monday, 2nd November 2020, 04:15

I'd have guessed it was just a bonus to your to-hit --- either fixed, or 1dN. (Of course the difference matters, to the extent accuracy matters at all.) Am I wrong?

Return to Game Design Discussion